Best Fly Rod for $300

tbouldin

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I am ready to upgrade my rod, as I have been on a cheap Dogwood Canyon. I am looking for a good rod at or under $300. Looking for a 9' 5 WT. I fish mainly bigger creeks for trout and smallmouth bass. I am interested in the Sage FOUNDATION at 325.. but others like the Redington Classic Trout, TFO Pro II, and Fenwick AETOS have stood out to me. any help is awesome, as I am new to this forum but looking forward to getting more involved. I graduate from college in may and will be moving to Colorado so it is time to get serious about fly fishing!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The 905 is a very common length and weight here in CO. But if you want my opinion, depending on where in CO. you are moving to you might want to rethink it and get a 4wt rod. But that's your choice of course.

There are many decent rods you can get in that price. One rod company that I have known about for years located in Loveland CO. is Elkhorn Fly Rods. I just purchased a rod not to long ago and I am very well pleased for a rod that was $205. They have a rod called the Nomad which is to be more of a traditional feel of old, & they are just over $300. I have my eye on a few. You may want to consider them as well. I would put them up against any other mid priced rod out there, and the warrantee is awesome. Especially if you are in driving distance like I am.

Where are you moving to? That would help us help you pick a rod.

melvynsegal

Reaction score
I have a number of pricey rods, and as far as I'm concerned the 5 weight Aetos for under $200 can compete with any of them. Just a great casting rod..:)

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Yeah it's tough to beat the Aetos in that price range. Also look at Moonshine Rods. Another good bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plecain

Reaction score
Best $300 rod is the $800 premium rod you buy off a forum member that is lightly used.
Correct.
I bought a 9' 10 wt. Sage ONE for $300 on one of my local fly fishing boards just last month.

toothybugs

Reaction score
Surfing any of the various sales pages should land you a great deal for that. I picked up my 4wt Z-Axis for 225. There are many, many other deals just waiting to be had, especially if you can hold on and come up with another 50-100. You can get darn near anything off a particular estuarial auction page for that.

Best $300 rod is the $800 premium rod you buy off a forum member that is lightly used.

tbouldin

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am moving to Castle Rock, CO where my aunt lives. Im hoping after the police academy that I will be moved up north near Fort Collins. However, I have a cousin who lives in Vail so I have those areas to fish when I want to stay their as well.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
The best deals are premium rods on closeout ... you need to look around and they may be over $300. This way you get a warranty. I cast a Redington Predator 9ft 4wt and thought it was quite nice. I think it retails for $299,

oldskewl808

Reaction score
The other day I casted 2 rods back to back without looking to see what they were. 1 was a Greys GR50 which cost a little over $100.00 the other was a Sage X which was over $500.00. I liked the Greys GR50 much better than the Sage X.
Just because a rod is expensive does not make it better. I will put the Fenwick Aetos, Greys GR50, along with some of the Moonshine Rods up against many "premium rods" that cost twice as much or more.

brownbass

Reaction score
The problem with any rod is that when you try it and buy it you usually have only the one chance and then it's yours for better or worse. I have bought rods online because I have a week or more to give it a workout and then decide if I like it. Allen fly rods give you a month to try out their rods and they can be returned if still in good shape and the plastic hasn't been removed from the handle. I ordered the Volant 5 weight and took it fishing, twice, and kept it. It is a good rod at 300 bucks and an even better rod if you can get it at 40% off. They often have sales on their various rod lines. You can also get a 10% discount on you first purchase if you are in a hurry. Give them a try.

Bill

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I would vote the Sage Foundation and the TFO Mangrove are the best rods under $300 dollars. Also the Redington Vice deserves a look see.

You can find a good used rod for under $300 but beware of voiding any warranties by going that route.

singlehand

Reaction score
The other day I casted 2 rods back to back without looking to see what they were. 1 was a Greys GR50 which cost a little over $100.00 the other was a Sage X which was over $500.00. I liked the Greys GR50 much better than the Sage X.
Just because a rod is expensive does not make it better. I will put the Fenwick Aetos, Greys GR50, along with some of the Moonshine Rods up against many "premium rods" that cost twice as much or more.

The Greys GR50 and Fenwick Aetos is the same rod.

For $300 I would definitely buy used.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I have a number of pricey rods, and as far as I'm concerned the 5 weight Aetos for under $200 can compete with any of them. Just a great casting rod..:)
I'll second that. I don't have an Aetos, but I have a Grey's GR50 and GRXi, and it is my understanding that the Aetos is the successor to the GR50. Pure Fishing acquired Hardy & Grey's and Fenwick, and the GR50 is now being marketed by Fenwick as the Aetos. I have the GR50 in a 6 and the GRXi in a 4. They are both great rods, but they are fast and may benefit from a line that is one weight heavier. I fish the GRXi 4 with WF5 line, and it casts that line very well. So, if you get a 5-wt rod you may want to consider 6-wt line. Or, you could take the suggestion to get a 4-wt and see how it casts with 5 line.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
FWIW, I ordered one of these:

Invalid URL

I think this may be an older model, as the one on the Loop site has a different reel seat, but everything else seems to be the same. There is not much online about Loop rods, but what I can find seems positive. The MSRP is $359 so this one for $129 with a 60-day return policy seemed worth a try. The Allen Alluvion and Redington Vice also seem like good rods, and both are in the $200 range. I tried the Allen Volant and did not like it, but YMMV, and Allen will give you a full refund as long as you have not removed the plastic from the handle and there is no wear on the rod. I have a TFO BVK in 8-wt that is also a great rod for under $300. The Mangrove may be a little more durable, but the BVK casts better; and if it breaks, TFO has one of the best warranties. I've read that some complain about the light hardware on the reel seat, but I actually like it. If you like a medium/fast action, the Orvis Clearwater is nice, and under $200. The quality of the cork is only meh, but everything else about it is better than the price would suggest.

throssing

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I am ready to upgrade my rod, as I have been on a cheap Dogwood Canyon. I am looking for a good rod at or under $300. Looking for a 9' 5 WT. I fish mainly bigger creeks for trout and smallmouth bass. I am interested in the Sage FOUNDATION at 325.. but others like the Redington Classic Trout, TFO Pro II, and Fenwick AETOS have stood out to me. any help is awesome, as I am new to this forum but looking forward to getting more involved. I graduate from college in may and will be moving to Colorado so it is time to get serious about fly fishing!
The Fenwick Aetos is a lot of rod for a little money.