10 foot rods 3 or 4 weights skagit style casting ???

hvenegaard

Reaction score
Hello all

I stumbled across a youtube video of a guy using a 10 foot 3 weight rod (the video doesn´t mention wich rod) with an OPST commando head for coastal fishing the other day. My FTAS kicked in immediatly and I started searching the net for rods to use for this kind of fishing.... They are scarse (if you exclude the rods for Czeck nymphing), the best option yet is a Redington Hydrogen 10`3 weight. Do you have any suggestions ?

Background
I live in Denmark ( It´s a small country in Scandinavia made up of a peninsula (Jylland) and 443 islands + the Faroe Islands and Greenland)). So a lot of coast available for fishing. 70% of my fishing is coastal fishing for seatrout the rest is spent on the rivers in Jutland, mainly Skjern, Karup and Vejle Å (Å means river). The seatrouts fished from the coast are mainly from 1 to 4 kilo but you can run into a 10 kilo fish if your lucky (why don´t you guys just accept the metric system like the rest of the world - would make things so much easier :) In the rivers there´s salmon of plus 20 kilo and seatrout of plus 10 kilo. When I started fly fishing back in the 90´ties the holy gospel was 9´#8 rods. These days the most popular rods are 5 and 6 weights for coastal fishing and 2 hand 8 weights for river fishing.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great variety of places to fish for good fish. Wish I could try it.

We don't use the metric system here, tried it in the 70's, didn't work out, it's so sensible too, just not for us. We like our system and it works well here in the USA, we are also quite adept at using the metric system too. I guess that is what makes us, us. Somehow we seem to muddle through it all.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great variety of places to fish for good fish. Wish I could try it.

We don't use the metric system here, tried it in the 70's, didn't work out, it's so sensible too, just not for us. We like our system and it works well here in the USA, we are also quite adept at using the metric system too. I guess that is what makes us, us. Somehow we seem to muddle through it all.
I read on a website recently, I just searched and can't find it again, that not fully converting to the metric system cost everyone in the US $16 a day. That's a new fly line a week, or a high end fly rod every 3 months.

kayo

Reaction score
Go with a 10 to11-6 foot 3-4-5 two handed switch rod for skagit style casting.
2.2lbs= 1kg easy enough.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Are you looking for a two hand fly rod for spey casting or a single hand rod that you can also use spey casting?