better 4wt.

jco

Reaction score
which would be the better 4wt. for small to med. trout in small to med. streams. a 9ft. helios 2 in tip flex or a radian 8.5ft. 4wt. I have already tried a8.6 4wt. sage one and found it to be a very accurate rod but it was a little to stiff for me. only interested in these two rods (at this time of course) who knows about tomorrow. thanks

mike_r

Reaction score
The Helios 2 has a nice tip action but is 5wt stiff in the butt. I can't comment on the Radian. I have owned and cast a 864 Recon and it was a dream rod for the waters you described. I broke it and traded up for the H2 904 and regretted it because I had a five weight that pulled the same duties just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scout1

Reaction score
I love 4 weights. That being said I have no experience with the two rods you mention. But I have always found that the 8'6" length in a 4 weight makes for a very sweet combination.

Jim

barham

Reaction score
I normally use 5 or 6wt 9ft rods so I am no expert on 4wt rods. However, I had a Redington Aetos 5wt 9ft rod which compared favorably with my other more expensive rods. So, on a lark, I acquired an Aetos 4wt 8 1/2 ft new for around $150.00. It is a really sweet rod and cheap.
I recommend it.
barham

brownbass

Reaction score
Whichever brand you choose, get the 8 !/2 foot model. for small to medium streams that length will suit your needs better than the longer rod. There is a thread from last year that had a lot of information and opinions on the 8 1/2 foot 4 weight. It is a long read but a good thread.

Bill

bob3700

Reaction score
I have owned n fished an 8 1/2 4 wt Radian. Hoped it would have been a fast 4 with feel that would respond well in the wind. It was not the case.
The rod was not happy up close n needed high line speed to make it work.
Traded it for a 486 Sage one. This is the rod I hoped the Radian would be.
My 905 Radian is my favorite 5 but the 486 Radian does not have the same characteristics.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
If you think the 486 Sage ONE rod is "stiff," you're going to be hard to fit. That is one of the top three or four most sensitive rods I've ever fished. It has more "feel" than crushed velvet.

I actually like the 486 X better. Even more feel and sensitivity with more accuracy and tighter loops. IMHO, the best sub-9' dry fly rod ever.

If you want something that flexes even more but still is super-accurate, check out a 486 Sage MOD. Bendy and smooooooooth, but with the lightning-fast recovery of Konnetic graphite. It's a modern-day LL that is light years better. I really wish Sage would build a 389 MOD. :D

el jefe

Reaction score
:D
I really wish Sage would build a 389 MOD.
It's called the Circa.:D

Just kiddin'. I have never cast an LL, but I have read where folks think the Circa is the modern day reincarnation of that rod. I did compare a MOD to a ZXL in 590, and I thought the MOD was the ZXL with Konnetic technology. I just kept my ZXLs, though. Love those things.

jco

Reaction score
thanks mike r and bob 3700. that is the kind of info. that I was ''hoping'' to get. and can we all just agree that it TAKES DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS? thanks

davidfin

Reaction score
I'd def go 8'6" for smaller water. I own the 864 Radian and consider it a true do it all small stream rod, but definitely on the faster/heavier side of things to the point that I generally only use it from October through April, and mainly for nymphs and streamers. However, it will present a size 20 BWO with 6/7x tippet no problem.

You should honestly get an 8' 5wt Glass rod, haha.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

:D

It's called the Circa.:D

Just kiddin'. I have never cast an LL, but I have read where folks think the Circa is the modern day reincarnation of that rod. I did compare a MOD to a ZXL in 590, and I thought the MOD was the ZXL with Konnetic technology. I just kept my ZXLs, though. Love those things.
I have a 763 ZXL that paints dries onto the water. Very sweet rod, but I'd rather fish glass in that size at this point.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Thought I fish both 8 1/2' and 9' 4-weights, I am one of the fans of 8 1/2' rods on more modest sized steams as the OP mentions. Having said that and sticking to the limitations of his question; 8 1/2'/#4 Radian is not "fast with feeling" it is stiff without feeling. Meanwhile, 8 1/2'/#4 H2 is mid flex only and bends oddly in the middle, a big disappointment as Helios in that size had promise and I have no idea about forthcoming H3 as such a size is yet to be made available. I don't have much experience with it but H2 9//#4 tip is highly regarded and considered one of the better H2 trout rods. If the ONE is too technical for OP, how about NRX LP#4 or, as ss suggested, X?

joselu

Reaction score
Excuse me. I read this post and I lovely of 8,6 fly rods. I have a Sage one 486, Hardy zephrus 486 and Sage ZXL 386..., I don't understand why you don't like Sage One 486... it is a very sweet fly rod. I did not cast Radian 486, but I bought a Radian 490 and it is a very strong rod, I sold it.
I hope that my opinions help you. Regards

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Today I fly fish with Sage One and barbels...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

JDR

Reaction score
I would factor in the Helios H2 going on sale in the near future. Saving a couple hundred dollars could make it more to your liking.

rocketbomb

Reaction score
I have an 8.5ft 4wt radian and it is a quite fast rod. I use it for high mountain Stillwater and it launches a lot of line surprisingly well. I don't like it much for up close work. Also have a 8.5ft 4wt h2 mid flex and I agree with the sentiment that the flex profile is strange. Much better up close than the radian though. My preferred small water rods are an orvis superfine carbon 8ft or Scott g series 8ft 8in.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have the H2 9' tip-flex in 4wt, it is one of my favorites for delivering longish accurate casts while fishing dries and dry droppers to pressured trout usually I use it on rivers/creeks that are 30-50' wide. In a pinch I have used it on smaller creeks down to about 10' wide. It is also very easy to deliver water load roll casts into small places and sensitive when high sticking lightly weighted nymph rigs. I use it with the Orvis Superfine line in 4wt.

I do not know if this matters or not but, this H2 is the only 4wt rod I have that when using it someone stopped on the trail and watched me catch a few fish on dries while standing in waist deep water making 50-60' casts to rising trout along the bank. When I left the water he came over and asked what rod I was using because he thought my casts were so nice.

Regards,

Tim C.

jco

Reaction score
I know that this is really really weird but I didn't really care for 8.5 4wt. sage one, however I do like the orvis 4wt. 8.5 mid flex. I know its not supposed to be that way but I guess there's just no accounting for some peoples taste.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
I know that this is really really weird but I didn't really care for 8.5 4wt. sage one, however I do like the orvis 4wt. 8.5 mid flex. I know its not supposed to be that way but I guess there's just no accounting for some peoples taste.
I don't think anyone has a problem with your taste or you not liking the 486 Sage ONE. I think the thing throwing everybody off is you describing it as "too stiff." People who have spent almost any quality time on a stream with that rod would probably tell you that the word "stiff" is the absolute last word that comes to their mind about this rod.

It makes it really hard for them to figure out what you want other than maybe something really soft, but then you throw the 486 Radian in, which is a very stiff 4wt with much less feel than ONE.

jco

Reaction score
I don't think my post was the first time that I have seen the words sage one 8.6 4wt. and the word stiff used in the same sentence, on this forum. thanks

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

I am sorry if I confused some of the people on this forum by saying that I thought that the sage 486 one was stiff. that was just my opinion, but I guess that was the wrong word to use. like s&s said the rod was probably too technical for me. after all I am 75yrs. old. but I do apologize.

JDR

Reaction score
...[/COLOR]I am sorry if I confused some of the people on this forum by saying that I thought that the sage 486 one was stiff. that was just my opinion, but I guess that was the wrong word to use. like s&s said the rod was probably too technical for me. after all I am 75yrs. old. but I do apologize.
Aw, c'mon JCO, I don't think your apology is very sincere. Like me, you are a septuagenarian rebel!
I also really like my 8.5, 4wt., H2.

boisker

Reaction score
I don't think my post was the first time that I have seen the words sage one 8.6 4wt. and the word stiff used in the same sentence, on this forum. thanks

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

I am sorry if I confused some of the people on this forum by saying that I thought that the sage 486 one was stiff. that was just my opinion, but I guess that was the wrong word to use. like s&s said the rod was probably too technical for me. after all I am 75yrs. old. but I do apologize.
Don't apologise mate... it's easy from reading some threads on the US forum regarding sage One to take away the feeling that if you don't like it or describe it as stiff that it's because you aren't a good enough technical caster... it's damn near sacrilege...
that isn't the case at all... I know of extremely good casters who would very much describe the sage One as stiff....
Now, a number of people get a bit irritated by it being described as stiff... "it isn't stiff it's technically demanding" :grin::grin:
If you think it's stiff... then it's stiff to you and that is as equally a valid a description as a load of twaddle about how 'technical' it is.