In mourning, a classic lost

dean_mt

Reaction score
Yesterday, while fishing the first blue day since July, from a high cut bank, I was watching a good rainbow trout lazily cruise a slow water pool. Focused on the fish and only glancing down to the rock I needed to land on I stepped off and suddenly lost my balance. The following string of events happened so fast. I let go of my rod - but I don't remember why, it was reactionary, my brain must have thought I was going over to my right. As I let go I thought "Sh.t, my reel is going to hit that rock." And not a split second later, as the reel hit the rock, I though "SH.T! I'm going to step on my rod." And no sooner did the whole thing flash through my mind did my boot snap my beloved Sage 490 SLT above the grip. As my foot landed on it - maybe before even - I let out a wailing moan. And it was over.

I was strangely calm, serene even, as I looked at my old work horse of a fly rod. Maybe it was shock. I've never lost a rod before. That rod has caught the vast majority of my fish over our 14 years together. For many many years it was my go to rod. It was by far my favorite. It was a classic.

I'll be saving and doing a lot of shopping around this winter.

sgp

Reaction score
I feel your pain! I have only even broken one rod in all my years of fly fishing and it was my 490 SLT. I was setting up my rod when the car door blew closed and it became a 6 piece. I loved that rod, so sent it for repair but when it came back it wasn't the same rod. It lost its magic so I sold it.

Sorry for your loss, but SAGE may still be able to repair your rod?

Simon

fishrat

Reaction score
... The following string of events happened so fast. I let go of my rod - but I don't remember why, it was reactionary, my brain must have thought I was going over to my right. As I let go I thought "Sh.t, my reel is going to hit that rock." And not a split second later, as the reel hit the rock, I though "SH.T! I'm going to step on my rod." And no sooner did the whole thing flash through my mind did my boot snap my beloved Sage 490 SLT above the grip. As my foot landed on it - maybe before even - I let out a wailing moan. And it was over.
Better a broken rod than a broken you!

Years ago, I was standing on top of a tall pile of rocks taking a picture. I was holding an exceptionally expensive camera & lens. The pile of rocks gave way, and my first instinct was to protect the camera. While I succeeded in protecting the camera, I failed to protect myself, and badly damage my knee in the process. Approaching 3 decades later, my knee is still a problem. I always wish I had just dropped the camera and saved myself instead!

Glad you didn't make the same mistake!

Now you have a good excuse to buy a new rod- and you can always tell people you broke the old one fighting off a bear! :D

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I carry a Nikon DSLR + a pair of lenses when fishing. Once, following a feast with accompanying alcohol at a guest ranch on a major river, the group of us proceeded to an area that has a long gravel bar down its middle. One wades the bar to a certain point and wades back to shore but I missed my landmark in the dimming light and under the influence. I was tiptoeing and up to my neck. A guide in a drift boat rowed toward me and asked if I needed help. I answered, "No, it's too late". Latter I realized he was concerned for my life but I was thinking of my submerged camera equipment.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

As I let go I thought "Sh.t, my reel is going to hit that rock."
How did the reel fare? I don't know if Sage has or can fabricate blank sections for SLTs but I look forward to hearing about their response to such an inquiry. They take pride in being good about this stuff. What would be the contemporary equivalent to SLT? MOD? You might want to go into Missoula and test cast an X.

just4grins

Reaction score
Dean_Mt "So sorry for your loss." However, perhaps fortunate in the long run. Balance and stability slowly erodes. Take this as a caution. I fell down for the first time this year and learned the valuable lesson of slowing down in general. Good Luck.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I appreciated the stories and condolences.

SS: the reel, a San Miguel two - another prized gear possession - took a hit right on the drag knob. It'll be the scar that always reminds me of my old SLT.

I didn't mention that the rod was built from blank in 2003, by me. I did send Sage an email last night asking how they deal with a broken blank warranty. I'm curious to hear also. If they wanted to send me an X or Mod blank for a modest fee, I'd probably take it. I've been planning to try out an X for sometime with the thought that I'd buy a new rod in the spring. But I didn't plan on a new 490. I love the 490 but was thinking a good 5wt might be in my card...

This winter is going to be torturous... :)

spt2

Reaction score
490-4 SLT was my first 4wt and is still my favorite, going to be taking it to Yellowstone in two weeks for a backpacking trip. I feel for your loss - could Sage even repair an SLT now? Or would it be replaced with a different model? For some reason I seem to remember reading the SLT blank parts cannot be duplicated and you might be given a choice that would include a ZXL - I have a 486-4 ZXL, either a 9' or 8.5' ZXL would probably be a good substitute, a bit different but basically occupies the same ecological niche. I can't say I like one better than the other, both are top-notch. Sorry! :(

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
At this stage in the game I wouldn't even ask about warranty but would be more concerned with availability of a butt section in that vintage of material. I will sound a second with regard to erosion of our stability as age becomes a factor which can't be ignored. I'm still doing well with my ambulatory endeavors but while working at the cabin I somehow got myself what I think they call a high ankle sprain of the left side variety. This made walking, climbing through rocks and wading something to be careful with the past few days.

Sorry to hear that this happened but we gotta be careful, it could be any of us next.

Ard

dean_mt

Reaction score
Sage got back to me promptly. The rep said that they can make new sections of just about any blank back to a certain point, and the SLT is on that they can do. I think I'll do it, not much to lose (except $70 fee).

Thanks again for the concern over my balance but I'm 44! I'm not that old!

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Sage got back to me promptly. The rep said that they can make new sections of just about any blank back to a certain point, and the SLT is on that they can do. I think I'll do it, not much to lose (except $70 fee).

They just made a new butt end for my 586-2 RPL. New handle, new reel seat, new everything. It is SHARP. Worked well for me. Hope it goes well for you too.

mnigro

Reaction score
Props to Sage for agreeing to make the section of blank. Last August the cork popped loose on my XP while fighting a bonefish. When Sage looked over the rod they determined it was a warranty job and only charged me the shipping fee. Their rods are only getting more expensive but in a decade when you need a warranty repair they'll still be in a position to keep your sentimental/beloved rod in your hands vs sending you a new stick.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Since Sage still uses Gen IIIe and Gen V materials they can replace most rods made with those materials. The Gen IV Durascrim rods, which are the SP, SP+, and SPL models can not be repaired or replaced so if one of those rods is among your favorites be careful with them.

JW51

Reaction score

Oh, a relative babe among us old guys with balance problems :).

Thought for sure Sage would replace the blank, as I know they can still make Graphite 3 LL pieces.