The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM

viggysmalls will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 8 Weight Recommendations

I've got the search narrowed down to a Sage Accel, Douglas Sky, Orvis Recon, Orvis H2, St. Croix Legend Elite, or the Hardy Zephrus.

I know pricing between these will vary, but I think I can find them all within our budget (more or less). We would be willing to spend up to about $800, but not really more than that. Something in the $600 range would be ideal.

I've heard good things about the Accel, Sky, and Recon. If anyone has any experience fishing the other models for Salmon/steelhead (i.e. lots of casts swinging flies), I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:42 AM

coolkyle has a spectacular aura aboutcoolkyle has a spectacular aura about

Have you considered a 10' or even 9'6" 8wt? I use a 10' 7wt Redington Predator for Alaska steelhead that go up to about 15lbs typically. This rod is pretty much an 8wt, it is tough as nails and the price is right. The long rod gets better distance, mends well, and makes a great roll cast and high stick rod. It does wear me out after a full day.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks viggysmalls thanked for this post
Old 10-12-2017, 11:37 AM

viggysmalls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
It does wear me out after a full day.
That is definitely a worry. My dad is not as young as he used to be, and I think one of the most important factors will be getting something easy on his shoulder/joints and that won't wear him out after a full day of casting.

Thanks for the advice though, and I still think a 9'6" rod may be a happy medium. Unfortunately it seems that in 8 weights, most models either come in 9' or 10' only. Sage Accel and the St. Croix Legend Elite being the only exceptions in the list I mentioned above.
Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM

saflyfish is on a distinguished road

Im looking into a mid priced sub $500 saltwater 8wt fly rod rod as well.
I see the Sage Bolt could be a great option also.
Or a used sage xi3?
I like the reviews on the tfo bvk but so many people have broken them...i dont have time for that.
Does anyone know what the classic scott 8wts are to look for?(not the latest).
There is of course the sage motive and the scott tidal.

So many options id have no idea which is the best.I dont have the opportunity to test cast these rods either.
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

brownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to behold

I have not tried the 8 weight Orvis IIID but if it is anything like the 5 weight it could be the one. The man at the counter of the fly shop was saying he may sell his Sage X and buy the Orvis. The 5 weight is a very nice, accurate rod so check out the 8, if the price doesn't scare you off.

Bill
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

mnigro is on a distinguished road

I donít think I would want a saltwater/flats rod for this type of fishing. Stick to rods with a little more flex in them for better roll casting and protecting lighter tippets. No Loomis CrossCurrent GLX, no Meridian, etc.

The Sage Accel would be a sweet stick, among others. If budget is a concern the closeout rods are what Iíd shoot for. I donít like to pay full price and a rod that was awesome last year is still awesome. I still fish my XPís, SLT, etc.