Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Wt Sage LL 389 3 pieced

Quote Originally Posted by davidfin View Post

Having both of these rods, they are not that close as one might think.

The extra 12" does make a difference and a rather noticeable one at that.
    Mainline the blueline

2. Default Re: Wt Sage LL 389 3 pieced

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    Having both of these rods, they are not that close as one might think.

The extra 12" does make a difference and a rather noticeable one at that.
    Oh, cool, sorry for trying to help?

Quote Originally Posted by davidfin View Post
    Oh, cool, sorry for trying to help?
    No apologies necessary, I was just pointing out that there are some fairly decent differences in the two.
    Mainline the blueline

4. Default Re: Wt Sage LL 389 3 pieced

I have cast LL 379 and it is sweet too, but LL 389 has more punch, and is better for my river. Roll cast with 389 is better than 379; when I am fly fishing I use roll cast many times. Thanks!!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

The 8'9" LL is the sweet spot and a great size. I had an Orvis Western, another really great rod from that 1980's rod era that was also (and a few seasons earlier too), 8'9"/#'s 5 & 8. Today T&T and Burkheimer both build 8'9" rods and Scott makes (via their traditional mid length history) an 8'8" G3...I still admire my old Scott Heliply an 8'8"/#8. The OP might consider a peak at Douglas Outdoors 8'8"/#4 Upstream, a lovely sweet rod adept an in cover roll casting.

8'8"/#4 Upstream with spring and pawl Argus in it intended habitat

6. Likes audax liked this post
  7. Default Re: Wt Sage LL 389 3 pieced

Thanks seetandsalt!!! I will see it.

I just recently picked up an Orvis Western in 3 weight and 8'3" and I rank it right up there with my 389LL. I really like it.

You might try locating one of those. The one I just got was brand new and less than $200. It had never seen a reel on it.
    Mainline the blueline

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    The one I just got was brand new and less than $200. It had never seen a reel on it.
    Well, you got a rare and fine bargain. I've been saying it for decades; the Orvis Western Series is an unsung hero, best rods of their day, eclipsing more popular Scotts and Winston's of that early to mid 80's time. How do I know? I own them all bought new back then. Moderate modulus graphite had its limitations but the Western's where the finest designs in that material. And ironically it is what unusual Upstream is built from today. Once Sage introduced RPL then SP and Loomis GLX, everything changed for the better and my cadre of Westerns became mostly retired...but they ruled the graphite world for several years and that is a remarkable accomplishment. For those who enjoy a deeper flexing more deliberate rod with power, even today there is little taht equals those 30 year old rods.

I happen to have a like new 2 pc. 9'/#6 Western (in original sleeve and tube) if someone wants to make me and offer I will be tempted by.

10. Default Re: Wt Sage LL 389 3 pieced

you are very lucky, in Spain it is very difficult to find offers like the ones you say. Regards !!!

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Redington Classic Trout is like LL???? I have 386 ZXL, sweet fly rod, but it isn't like LL I hope you do not think I'm crazy ... my wife already thinks about it when she sees so many rods at home !!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123