St Croix Imperial vs Echo Ion XL 6wt

mudduck

Reaction score
Im looking at both of these rods and wondering what the differences might be. Currently I have a 5wt med/fast "Old Florida" entry level rod that is the only one Ive ever casted beyond a SA Ampere kit, which I hated.

I throw mainly size 4 closuers at the local wiper and its a blast. The rod struggles with patterns like near nuff crayfish, leadhead sculpin (to be fair I could throw that with a spinning rig no sweat) and other heavy flies I occasionally chuck.

How would the St Croix compare to the Ion XL? I understand they would throw streamers pretty well. How does the flex feel in either rod? Is one faster that the other? Im not the greatest caster so maybe a more forgiving rod would be better. I suppose I would classify my casting style as a bit quicker than it would seem my current rod likes at times.

I do really like the fighting butt on the Ion (Ive even rigged a ghetto one on my 5wt). For now thats the only thing making me lean towards the Ion XL.

Any info on either would be greatly appreciated.

fishmandoug

Reaction score
I own an Ion XL 6wt and it has become my favorite rod for smallmouth fishing. I normally throw medium to large streamers and have not had any issues.

I have used Rio Smallmouth, Rio Outbound Short Float/Int, and OPST commando and it did well with all of these lines.

The action is probably slower, and the rod is probably heavier than the Imperial. That may be something that you would like or dislike. I have only cast a 5wt Imperial, so take that with a grain of salt. The Ion is made in China compared to the St. Croix made in WI (to some this is a big deal).

The cork grip is comfortable to my had, but the quality level is what you would expect for this price range.

The Ion XL also seems to be a real tough rod. I doubt I will ever need to deal with the Warranty department, when I have had quite a few claims to St. Croix over the years...mostly my fault.

Both are good rods, but different.

mudduck

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for that. I thought they were similar rods. I think Id prefer the lighter rod as I go out quite a bit for long periods and by the end of the day my 5wt has me knackered.

How would you say nymphing is on the Ion? I dont do it much but when I get bored of the cynical afternoon bass I go "nymphing" for carp and cats.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Owned an Imperial 6WT for a few years. Doubt I would recommend it for anything but streamers. I am a St Croix fan so it is rare for me to bash them, but there are rods for half the price at this weight that will chuck a streamer just as well, or close enough.

mudduck

Reaction score
Well I just went to the Cabelas site and they are on sale. Grabbed a 6wt for $132! Made my decision pretty easy, now Ill get some new line or maybe a reel with the extra cash I have. What did you have on your Imperial ia_trouter?

Looks like I grabbed the last one but if anyone needs a 8'6" 5wt or a 6' 2wt they still have them at $150 (5wt) and $126 (2wt). Free shipping also but that ends tonight at midnight

dakotakid

Reaction score
Well I just went to the Cabelas site and they are on sale. Grabbed a 6wt for $132! Made my decision pretty easy, now Ill get some new line or maybe a reel with the extra cash I have. What did you have on your Imperial ia_trouter?

Looks like I grabbed the last one but if anyone needs a 8'6" 5wt or a 6' 2wt they still have them at $150 (5wt) and $126 (2wt). Free shipping also but that ends tonight at midnight
In case you break the tip, St. Croix offers replacement tips for many of their fly rods at very reasonable prices. All you have to do is supply them with the model, serial number and payment and they'll send you the replacement tip without the hassle of having to send them the entire rod. In the case of the Imperial fly rod, a replacement tip is only $35 and that includes free shipping. I broke one (entirely my fault), believe I paid online with a credit card and had the replacement tip in only two days. That's great service!

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Can't lose at that price.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Check out the Colton Slipstream XSX. The 6-weight has a fighting butt. I just bought one, and will be posting a review as soon as I have the time, but I am very impressed with the rod. The ION XL was one of my other choices, along with the Allen Alluvion, both of which offer a 6-wt with a fighting butt. I ended up trying the Colton, and I am pretty happy that I did.

mudduck

Reaction score
Check out the Colton Slipstream XSX. The 6-weight has a fighting butt. I just bought one, and will be posting a review as soon as I have the time, but I am very impressed with the rod. The ION XL was one of my other choices, along with the Allen Alluvion, both of which offer a 6-wt with a fighting butt. I ended up trying the Colton, and I am pretty happy that I did.
I think Im really gonna miss that fighting butt on the Imperial I ended up going with. If I dont like it and return it, I will certainly have a look at that rod. Not that many 6wt rods have them as options.

I seriously considered getting an Alluvion demo rod as it is $104 with a full warranty from Allen, but the St Croix's price was slashed so I went for that.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I think Im really gonna miss that fighting butt on the Imperial I ended up going with. If I dont like it and return it, I will certainly have a look at that rod. Not that many 6wt rods have them as options.
I was looking for a 6wt as a light bonefish rod, so I really wanted one with the fighting butt, and as you say, there are few 6 weights that offer it. Besides the Ion and Alluvion, the Redington Vice offers it as an option but it has to be ordered, as most of the online retailers don't stock them that way.

mager

Reaction score
All, help me understand something please. Did St. Croix re-release a new updated line of Imperial fly rods? Some of the YouTube clips/articles from IFTD2017 make it sound like they did, but I can't find anything else that says so.

brownbass

Reaction score
All, help me understand something please. Did St. Croix re-release a new updated line of Imperial fly rods? Some of the YouTube clips/articles from IFTD2017 make it sound like they did, but I can't find anything else that says so.
I was under the same impression but have been unable to find anything on the new line-up.

Bill

mudduck

Reaction score
I got the St Croix and sent it back, tried the Ion XL and didnt like it either. Both felt too stiff. I caught a 4-5 pound hybrid bass, 4 pound walleye and maybe a 2 pound drum with the St Croix, and none of the fish gave me the fun factor my 5wt does. This has made me reevaluate my choice of rods.

Although both rods can chuck the streamers easier than my 5wt, I dont necessarily need the extra stiffness. I mainly throw clousers and my 5wt handles that quite well at the distances I need to throw them. Im wondering if there are some decent 6wt out there with a bit more "fun" while fighting fish or if I should just upgrade my 5wt (with the butt end missing, occasionally self cross-threading plastic reel seat nut, and a dorked guide it could sure use it. Saying that, you couldnt pry it from my cold dead hands).

mager

Reaction score
I got a email from Midcurrent that had an article about the 3rd generation of Imperial being released November 1. I'm very interested to learn more and read some reviews.