Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Scott thread housel?

Hi All,

So, I heard back from Scott. It turns out this is a factory rod from the late 1980s (c.1988). Apparently it retailed for ~$500 around that time.

I had the opportunity to cast it along side a 25th anniversary edition G 904-2 (so, the same rod made around 1999), and I have to say I prefer the rod from the late 1980s better.

Thanks for all the input. I do appreciate it.

Best wishes,
    Clod

2. Thanks bwf thanked for this post

Default Re: Scott thread housel?

How do you compare the two in a way that makes you prefer one over the other , how are they different?

I good thread subject might be same size G vs. G2 vs. G3, not by me though as I only have familiarity with one 1979 pre-G.

4. Default Re: Scott thread housel?

It's subjective, right? And I don't know if I can express it well, but here's what I did: I lined both rods with the same-ish reel (an older CFOIII-UK and a newer CFOII-US), both with a Cortland peach DT4 to cast at the local pond. I cast each, one after the other, at long, medium, and short distance (dunno, maybe about a dozen casts at each distance), and did some roll casts. Then I went back and forth between the rods.

They're both excellent, very little difference in overall performance. But I found the 25th anniversary model to be more full flex throughout the blank, with slower tip recovery. The older G is full flexing, too, but recovered more quickly (to my senses), and responded to what I wanted it to do a touch quicker than the anniversary model. The older model was "more disciplined" in its action, seemed to be more firm at its mid than the anniversary model. Again, it's all subjective, but that was my take.

FWIW, both rods do NOT have the same guide spacing. The older model has 2 stripping guides. The anniversary model has an all cork grip with cap and ring seat, while the older model has a thread housel and wood cap and reel seat. These factors might play a role. The graphite blanks themselves look slightly different, too: the older model is smoother to the touch while retaining its unsanded twist, while the anniversary model is more rough. That opalescent translucence you get when looking at graphite rods is consistent throughout the blank of the older rod, while the graphite on anniversary model is a bit "muddled" (not translucent throughout, ridged under the surface).

I'm totally nitpicking at a microscopic level. Both of these rods are excellent and fish very well. But I'm doing what we do as fly fishers when it comes to our gear.

5. Likes bwf liked this post

Default Re: Scott thread housel?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatclod View Post
    Hi All,

So, I heard back from Scott. It turns out this is a factory rod from the late 1980s (c.1988). Apparently it retailed for ~$500 around that time.

I had the opportunity to cast it along side a 25th anniversary edition G 904-2 (so, the same rod made around 1999), and I have to say I prefer the rod from the late 1980s better.

Thanks for all the input. I do appreciate it.

Best wishes,
    Clod
    that makes sense. That is the same vintage as the rod I mentioned in my previous post. I will never part with it.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatclod View Post
    The older model was "more disciplined" in its action, seemed to be more firm at its mid than the anniversary model. Again, it's all subjective, but that was my take.
    this makes sense and it is how my G 5 weight feels. There is a lot of "reserve" power and muscle in the upper butt section.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    How do you compare the two in a way that makes you prefer one over the other , how are they different?

I good thread subject might be same size G vs. G2 vs. G3, not by me though as I only have familiarity with one 1979 pre-G.
    that would indeed be a great thread. I have a G and G2....different weights and lengths though.

I should bring my G down to my local shop and do a comparo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12