Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Moonshine rods

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    477

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Anyone have any updates on their experience with this company?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Their intial supplier was from China, and the blanks were IM6 or IM8 graphite. I have personally built 10 plus rods off the same blanks, and combined with my local rod building community have built over 100 off these blanks. They are great blanks for the value and are pretty bulletproof. Are they the lightest best blank available, well no, but that is reflected in the price.

    The chinese supplier, can be challenging to deal with, and my understanding is that Moonshine is now ordering from a different supplier of similar blanks amd components.

    My local supplier has also changed suppliers do to supply issues.

    For anyone put off by Chinese/Korean made blanks, you should know that all commerical rods under $500 are made in Asia, and most Likely China, and most rods under $1000 are also either 100% made in asia, or the blank and components are made in asia and are assembled and finished in North America. You will not find a US rolled blank, and finished rod here for under $1000, and in my opinion the best commerically built rod G-Loomis Asquith is produced in Japan.

    For the value Moonshine and other small rod shops building of asian blanks provide great value rods that perform great, and can usually offer better Customer Service and Warranty.

    But that is just my opinion from a connected Hobby Rod builder.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  3. Likes Mcbeck liked this post
  4. #13

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Thanks for the input ravenbc. I have been interested in these guys offerings for a while.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    477

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbeck View Post
    Thanks for the input ravenbc. I have been interested in these guys offerings for a while.
    I have as well. They offer a lifetime warranty as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. Likes Mcbeck liked this post
  7. #15

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Quote ravenbc: You will not find a US rolled blank, and finished rod here for under $1000, and in my opinion the best commerically built rod G-Loomis Asquith is produced in Japan.


    ravenbc....ummm...what about Scott, Winston, and Sage....all three produce rolled here in the USA blanks and finished production rods on those blanks for under $1,000, Don't they?

  8. Likes rsagebrush liked this post
  9. #16

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Quote Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
    I have as well. They offer a lifetime warranty as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not to mention the 2 tips...

  10. Likes smoke33 liked this post
  11. #17

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenbc View Post
    Their intial supplier was from China, and the blanks were IM6 or IM8 graphite. I have personally built 10 plus rods off the same blanks, and combined with my local rod building community have built over 100 off these blanks. They are great blanks for the value and are pretty bulletproof. Are they the lightest best blank available, well no, but that is reflected in the price.

    The chinese supplier, can be challenging to deal with, and my understanding is that Moonshine is now ordering from a different supplier of similar blanks amd components.

    My local supplier has also changed suppliers do to supply issues.

    For anyone put off by Chinese/Korean made blanks, you should know that all commerical rods under $500 are made in Asia, and most Likely China, and most rods under $1000 are also either 100% made in asia, or the blank and components are made in asia and are assembled and finished in North America. You will not find a US rolled blank, and finished rod here for under $1000, and in my opinion the best commerically built rod G-Loomis Asquith is produced in Japan.

    For the value Moonshine and other small rod shops building of asian blanks provide great value rods that perform great, and can usually offer better Customer Service and Warranty.

    But that is just my opinion from a connected Hobby Rod builder.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I do believe St Croix builds rods made in USA under the dollar point you refer too....either way if I have to go outside North American made will choose Made in Korea over China...JMHO
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ladysmith, WI
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioflyguy View Post
    I do believe St Croix builds rods made in USA under the dollar point you refer too....either way if I have to go outside North American made will choose Made in Korea over China...JMHO
    That's correct. The Legend, Avid, and Imperial models are made in Park Falls, WI. Their lower end models are made in Mexico, so still North America but not USA.

    That gets you down at or below $300 for a US-made rod.

    ryan

  13. Default Re: Moonshine rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioflyguy View Post
    I do believe St Croix builds rods made in USA under the dollar point you refer too....either way if I have to go outside North American made will choose Made in Korea over China...JMHO
    St Croix Blanks are made in Mexico not USA, same factory as Rod Geek Blanks. Where they are wrapped I am not certain. There are a lot of good products made overseas or outside the USA. To be honest, when I here or see made in the USA, I imediately think overpriced. North American Labour and Overheads are way to expensive and add far to much cost to the so call quality gains when items are mass produced. To wrap and finsh a commerical fly rod, does not require a lot of training and or skill, and really does not matter to me which country it is made.

    But there are some really good smaller rod companies that can still do well in producing smaller scale commerical rods in the US, such as Moonshine, Blue Halo, Burkheimer, Meiser, and quite a few more I am probably missing. Most of these companies, do well as they can do custom orders and have gained cult like status, which is something a overseas outfit cannot compete.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Moonshine rods

    I would gladly give someone a good deal on my 5wt midnight special

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Moonshine Rods.
    By brownbass in forum Fly Rod Building
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-18-2017, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2017, 08:50 PM
  3. Moonshine Outcast 890-4 Fly Rod, New, TFO
    By Ebay USA in forum Fly Rods for sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM
  4. TP Moonshine
    By Tami Prestidge in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •