Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moonshine rods

Default Re: Moonshine rods

Quote Originally Posted by ravenbc View Post
    St Croix Blanks are made in Mexico not USA, same factory as Rod Geek Blanks. Where they are wrapped I am not certain. There are a lot of good products made overseas or outside the USA. To be honest, when I here or see made in the USA, I imediately think overpriced. North American Labour and Overheads are way to expensive and add far to much cost to the so call quality gains when items are mass produced. To wrap and finsh a commerical fly rod, does not require a lot of training and or skill, and really does not matter to me which country it is made.

But there are some really good smaller rod companies that can still do well in producing smaller scale commerical rods in the US, such as Moonshine, Blue Halo, Burkheimer, Meiser, and quite a few more I am probably missing. Most of these companies, do well as they can do custom orders and have gained cult like status, which is something a overseas outfit cannot compete.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Yes there are plenty of good blanks made outside of the USA! The best of those rods are are made in South Korea....just like the reels...see Hardy's rods and reels...Hardy just started producing rods back in the UK as well.
    Last edited by Ontarioflyguy; 01-20-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Removed my political Opinions
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

Please forgive a Limey chiming in on a particularly American thread, particularly as Moonshine have no presence in the UK as far as I know, and I haven't ever even wiggled one, but ....

I do think they look good, especially for the money. I've looked before at their site photos and been impressed. They're not T&T or Burkheimer quality in their finish, maybe here there's a dab too much of epoxy .... there .... a dash too little .... but I kind of like that. It suggests 'homemade custom' rather than 'boutique' - but at an overall reasonable standard for the cost and with, to my mind, tasteful hardware and whippings which echo the company name.

'Moonshine' evokes to me wood-smoke, stealth and secrecy and many of their rods echo that with the matt-black or stick-y brown sanded blanks, burl-wood and smoked-nickel reel seats, mottled corks and subdued, single thread wraps in brown or black. If they are intentionally trying to match the look of their rods to the ethos of their name then 'good on them', I think it's a neat concept in keeping with the 'backwoods' nature of our sport. If they can add a little spirit to the blank, too, then they could be on to a real winner - going by others' comments. Frankly, though, at the price, I haven't seen a more handsome rod, even the logo and details decals are relatively subtle and unobtrusive. I like that.

At this point I'm back to sweet&salt's 'rod aesthetics' thread where we all agreed that content comes before form. I sincerely hope that Moonshine can source some quality blanks at a parallel price and offer something really special, an 18 y-o malt of a rod.

3. Likes brownbass, photoguy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mtbright View Post
    I would gladly give someone a good deal on my 5wt midnight special
    If it were a 4 or 6 wt I would have that conversation with you. What donít you like about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that isn’t like it, it is a very nice rod, and a decent company. I went a different direction. I had a Lamson liquid on it, hated the reel, just could not stand the reel. Got rid of the Lamson, got a hatch 4 to replace the Lamson then a sage x to go with the hatch. The moonshine will not get used anymore.

After editing my post above to remove my political opinions I went to Moonshine's site to look at their rods and must say I was impressed with the look of them. Looks like great reel seats and cork.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

As for the statement about no US made rods under $1,000...

There is a rod company in the Northeast that builds some of their rods in the US. In-house work includes rolling their own blanks and all other manufacturing steps. All of their rods sell for less than $!,000. Though not mentioned as much as some of the other companies favored on this site, many people are very happy with rods made by the Orvis company.

8. Likes jaywar liked this post
  9. Default Re: Moonshine rods

As mentioned above, Orvis makes some very fine rods (Recon,Helios)under $1000.
    In fact, many of the top US fly rod manufactures produce mid price rods (around$500)in their US facilities that are really changing the game for us Fly Fishers.

Speaking of small U.S companies here is a Podcast with Brad Smith Owner of Walton Rods. He goes into the large mark ups needed to be put on the cost of the rods by the large name companies. The first hour can be skipped if you want to get into the meat and potatoes. If your interested in hearing who Brad is and where he has been start from the beginning.
    26: Brad Smith, Writer, Entrepreneur & Fly Fisherman | Restless Native Podcast

As far as Moonshine goes they have attractive rods and a nice marketing platform. A $500 plus rod will never be in my budget and a $300 rod is a real stretch. Finding a small rod company or micro rod company like Moonshine or Walton who doesnít have all the overhead and can offer a quality rod is the direction I will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes proheli liked this post
  12. Default Re: Moonshine rods

Say this as far as price s Sage Accel or a Orvis Recon are still in the same ball park as these smaller Chinese blank companies , not only that you get the warranty , plus years of design experience. Only bad thing I heard about the smaller company is that they're nymphing rods are heavy and not what you wanna be high stick nymphing with all day unless you want a workout

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123