Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moonshine rods

Default Moonshine rods

Anyone have one of these? Iím looking at the 9í 8wt outcast as a possible rod. I like that they arenít too far from me, the rods look wonderful, but I donít see many reviews. Anyone have an opinion?

2. Thanks hogwild thanked for this post

Default Re: Moonshine rods

I have built on the 5wt 9ft blank and purchased the 5wt 9ft; I think the Aetos at $175 and the Mystic Reaper at $225 are better rods.
    barham

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantvalley View Post
    Anyone have one of these? Iím looking at the 9í 8wt outcast as a possible rod. I like that they arenít too far from me, the rods look wonderful, but I donít see many reviews. Anyone have an opinion?
    Funny i was just going to post something about them too. I was looking at the 6wt outcast for a budget build. I fish pretty much strictly large and smallmouth bass all season. Love my Winston B3X but id like to have something cheaper as i often end up doing a lot of bushwhacking or hiking in and out of some of my common locations and am always a little concerned about something happening to the Winston. I have an 8wt im selling and plan to turn those funds into a 6wt outcast. I plan to do a write up next year after some time with the rod.

hope yours works out !!

tight lines. ...

I have a Drifter 7.5' 3 wt. that I like. I find it easy to cast accurately and it does what I need it to so on the small streams I fish a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by barham View Post
    I have built on the 5wt 9ft blank and purchased the 5wt 9ft; I think the Aetos at $175 and the Mystic Reaper at $225 are better rods.
    barham
    What donít you like about their rods? Iím trying to get a feel for the action.

I lean towards this company because I like to support small business, and Charlottesville isnít far from me.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantvalley View Post
    I lean towards this company because I like to support small business
    As I wrote in the small rod company thread, I do too. However, and I have no familiarity with Moonshine Rods, I would be curious as to the source of their blanks/rods. A small rod maker is one thing and a small company selling Chinese factory product is another.

My friend has one and thinks it is great. Of course, you could hand him a 2x4 and he would think it is great.

9. Likes el jefe liked this post

Well I went ahead and ordered an 8wt outcast. Iíll let you all know how it is when I get it in and rigged up. The rod chose me. As they say...

Bit of a necro bump on the thread, but I said I’d check back in about this rod.

My trip to Florida was not great. I got food poisoning day one, only got to fish for about 4 hours mid day. I did land a couple fish on it though and cast it quite a bit in mild Florida pre storm wind. It is a smooth caster with an action that really matches my casting stroke. Fast but not so much so that I have to adjust my timing much. Can really launch a streamer as well.

I’ve taken it out for some Potomac river bass once so far, mostly due to the conditions being horrible this year from tons of rain. Again it is a good caster. Turns over big poppers just fine, sensitive enough to detect the lazier strikes, and stout enough to put some flex to a bigger fish and bring them in. Caught a couple 14” small mouth with it and it was great for that.

Looking at adding another moonshine rod this year. And as to their blanks source, according to the company they come from japan and South Korea, which I consider a step up from China at the least.

I just got a 10 ft 7 weight, I guess it's the Drifter. So far so good. The real test will be on largemouth from a pontoon next month, but it handles smallies fine and turns over the big flies easily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast