The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

proheli is on a distinguished road
Default New Scott GS or Orvis Helios 3f

Going to be in eastern Tennessee and North Carolina for two weeks over Christmas, and am looking for a new 4 or 5wt, lots-o-feel all purpose trout rod. Id like to start throwing a few streamers for big browns, but its mostly drys and dry dropper/nymph rigs, on small to mid sized rivers. I have a creek rod already, a 7 Hardy Sirrus glass. I love the feel of this rod and it has me leaning toward the Scott, but the Helios 3F reviews are excellent and enough to pull me that direction. I wont be able to cast both of them until mid-December, so Im doing as much research as I can now so I can make a decision when I cast them.

Im interested in any ideas or if anyone has cast or fished them both Id like to hear about it.

TIA Gregg
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

brownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Scott GS or Orvis Helios 3f

I can't speak to the Scott but the Orvis 3F is indeed an impressive rod. I have been trying a lot of 5 weight rods looking for a new one and had gone out to cast a Recon when Dan at Feathercraft brought the 3F out for me to try. I was nailing every cast moving around the casting area. Space is limited there, but it definitely has the accuracy you want at close to medium ranges and it feels light and the swing weight was great. I haven't tried the 3D, the faster of the two, I have read it is even better.

Bill