I don't need, but want an 8wt

fita1300

Reaction score
I have 3,4,5,6,7, ,9 wt rods and reels
3wt White River Classic combo ultralight reel
4wt TFO professional with Hobbs creek reel (actually my nephew borrowed it three years ago so its out of rotation)
4 wt Hobbs Creek 4pc with a Plueger 1535?
4/5 wt graphite silaflex from around 1976 with a Martin 60
Berkley Advanta 5wt with a 1990's Pflueger medalist
oops I guess the 6 wt fiberglass Eagle Claw is gone
7wt TFO pro with a Reddington AL 7/8 or Cabelas Wind River 7/8
9wt Deceiver with Kingfisher reel

As you can tell:
A) I have nothing expensive, B) My fun second job is part time for BPS in another department, C) My "fast rod" is the TFO D) I have an extra 7/8 reel

The Reddington is my saltwater reel and the Wind River is my fresh water reel because it was cheaper to buy the Cabelas reel when it was half price than trying to find a spool for the AL 7/8 I had bought about 12 years ago.

I would like to buy an 8 wt, a fast rod that can get more line out there to Redfish and compensate for my lousy casting stroke. I am looking at the TFO BVK, or the Moonshine series of rods. Looking at the 8 wt Shootout tells me the BVK scored better than the Aetos or the Mystic Reaper. The other option is to save a bunch of money, use my employee discount, buy a World Wide Sportsman Gold Cup for $120 and accept that the TFO is as fast as I get.

I want to keep the price under $300 for a rod I don't really need and have a hard time justifying the want. If there is a better choice under $300 that can get me more distance with accuracy let me know. I really like the looks and description of the Moonshine, but don't know how it would compare to the BVK. I trust the guys that work the fly fishing department at my store, we are lucky to have a couple "true" fly fishermen, but as big as BPS is there are a lot of options out there from smaller builders or other manufacturers i.e. Moonshine.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,

I can't help with this rod choice but I'm sure some of the guys are gonna give their thoughts.

Good to have you posting with us here :)

Ard

denver1911

Reaction score
"I would like to buy an 8 wt, a fast rod that can get more line out there to Redfish and compensate for my lousy casting stroke."

This is bad. A fast rod will only make a lousy casting stroke worse. That said, if you buy a fast rod and spend time in the yard learning the timing necessary to make it sing ... lousy casting will become better and you'll get more line out there to the redfish.

karstopo

Reaction score
You have a 7 and 9 weight so you have it covered.

Doesn't BPS have classes where you can try out some rods and cast them?

Are you fishing from a kayak (standing or sitting), wading, a skiff?

Where do you or do you want to do this redfish stalking?

Normally, I carry three set ups on a stalk. A fast higher weight rated rod for the wind, a medium rod for general accuracy presentations and a lighter rod mainly just for fun. My wind stick currently is an 8/9 G.Loomis Short Stix. This rod with 9 weight Short head line lets me cut through the wind to get the fly on target. My general purpose accuracy rod is a Cabelas (now a part of BPS?) 7/8 weight CGR. My light rod is the 5/6 CGR.

My experience with redfish stalking standing from a kayak is that it isn't a distance game but rather I'd put more of a premium on accuracy, line management and some creative casting abilities. I don't need a rod to quickly blow out 80 or 90 foot casts for redfish. It's hard to see them from that distance and you can usually work in a lot closer if you do.

Sometimes, it's pretty straight forward. Tailing or backing fish spotted, you then wade, paddle or pole into position and make the shot, probably at some distance like 40 or 50 feet. Sometimes in the maze of grass and reef a fish will suddenly appear at your 4 o'clock at 25 feet moving towards you and you have mere seconds to get it together for some offhand/backhand/sidearm oddball kind of shot.

Anyhow, just some food for thought. I have an 8 wgt BVK that I seldom use and only when I plan on doing some wading. I just prefer the shorter rods off the kayak or bow of a boat.

But if you can try some rods out at BPS and see what fits your cast. Maybe get some instruction if there is something fundamentally wrong with what you called your "lousy" cast. I don't think any rod can fix a bad cast if that is indeed what is going on. Personally, I think a lot of 8 weights or 7 weights will fit the bill for chasing redfish. I'd get out and work on the cast with the gear you have and chase a few reds and then have some live fire experience to hone in on what you might really want in a set up.

just4grins

Reaction score
I recently bought a TFO Mangrove 8wt, a superb rod at $279. Matched this rod with a Wulff Bermuda Triangle 8Wt floating line to fish for redfish. This is a beautiful combination and casts easily and very accurate. Can't recommend it strongly enough, and I own mostly very expensive rods and Mangrove works so well I feel fortunate to have this in my kit bag.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I second the Mangrove for what you're wanting. I fish both (Mangrove #7 and BVK #6) and both are great but I agree the BVK won't improve a casting stroke. That just takes practice. The Mangrove would have a similar feel to some of your other TFOs, just much better feel! It does well in close and will cast at distance too, although BVK will cast a little further.

Another good option that is cheaper than both while performing just as well is the Redington Vice at $199. That's my 8 weight of choice. I fish it with Rio OBS WF8I/F and it is an absolute cannon. For softer presentation I'll switch to a typical floating line or grab the Mangrove which is a lot easier to cast with good presentation.

fita1300

Reaction score
My reason for a faster rod was to get a lot of line out fast with minimum false casts. I am used to slower rods for bass and bream and have trouble with the double haul. I wind up making extra false casts to make sure of the presentaion. I fish from a sitting kayak in the Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River.
My lousy casting stroke stems from spin fisherman muscle memory (please forgive my mispent youth). The guys at BPS are always willing to work with me, and have steered me in the right direction - the BVK instead of the Clouser or the impact.

What about a Moonshine rod?

The advice I give customers for archery is the bow that fits you and feels right is the right bow, the deer don't care how much you spend or the name .
I guess it is the same for fish.:)

denver1911

Reaction score
Still, a faster,rod,will not make a faster cast unless you learn to use it properly. That takes practice. I have been fly fishing forty years and recently (hree years ago) took up saltwater. I practice out back at least once per week and am still farmfrom perfect. Like someone else said though, for redfish, distance isn't usually the trick. Quick and accurate is. Google "saltwater quick cast." This will put your foy 30 feet with no false cast. Forty with one false cast even for a beginner.

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
I just got a moonshine outcast in the mail yesterday. Haven’t fished it yet, but given my usual wiggle test to get a feel for the action, I’d say it’s medium-fast. Flexes about 1/4 with no line, probably around 1/3 with line. Nice weight, good grip, pretty rod, extra tip section and a case for $219. I’m pretty happy with it.

I am in no way affiliated with moonshine, just suggesting what certainly appears to be a nice rod on the faster side of things, for a good price.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
My reason for a faster rod was to get a lot of line out fast with minimum false casts. I am used to slower rods for bass and bream and have trouble with the double haul. I wind up making extra false casts to make sure of the presentaion. I fish from a sitting kayak in the Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River.
My lousy casting stroke stems from spin fisherman muscle memory (please forgive my mispent youth). The guys at BPS are always willing to work with me, and have steered me in the right direction - the BVK instead of the Clouser or the impact.

What about a Moonshine rod?

The advice I give customers for archery is the bow that fits you and feels right is the right bow, the deer don't care how much you spend or the name .
I guess it is the same for fish.:)
I haven't cast any of the Moonshine rods. They are handsome rods but not sure about performance. The mantra around here is "try before you buy," so I would just say string up a few 8 weights and see what you like best. For your price range though, I can't imagine anything being much better than the BVK, Mangrove, Predator, or Vice.

If you're willing to go $325, check out the Sage Foundation.

fq13

Reaction score
Agreed with all of the above. But....I just ordered a BVK.
That means I have an outfit for sale.
An Orvis Clearwater tip (fast) action 9'6" 8 wt. 4pc.
A Cabelas prestige premiere #3 reel with the Lamson drag
And it's spooled up with SA warm water red fish WFF.
It's yours for $225 plus shipping. It's a nice, fast easy to cast outfit for bass and inshore salt. I just don'the need 3 8 wts. Others feel free to chime in here.I'my not sure if this the right set up for the OP or not.

toothybugs

Reaction score
Dude, take your wallet and surf the giant auction site. I have scored so many huge deals there its silly. FWIW, the Bolt is on a lot of sites for 350 or sometimes less, and you can oftentimes find top end rods of yesteryear (XP, GLX, TCX, etc) for 300 or less. RPLXs are usually 150 or down, and they bang lines like mad. They were Sage's original high performance saltwater rod.

fq13

Reaction score
Dude, take your wallet and surf the giant auction site. I have scored so many huge deals there its silly. FWIW, the Bolt is on a lot of sites for 350 or sometimes less, and you can oftentimes find top end rods of yesteryear (XP, GLX, TCX, etc) for 300 or less. RPLXs are usually 150 or down, and they bang lines like mad. They were Sage's original high performance saltwater rod.
Where do you think my BVK came from?;) There is also an 8 weight Redington Predator right here in the classifieds. It's an awesome rod and a great deal at $150. It's a short stick at 7'10", but I love mine.

brownbass

Reaction score
You could try a 7 wt Bolt and upline it to an eight weight. Cabelas has them for 300 dollars. Another option is ordering several rods and the line you plan on using and give them all a try then return the ones you don't like. Keep in mind all the rods probably will not arrive on the same day, so take notes about what you like and don't like. I believe Trident has a program where you can order several rods at once but check on that. I have been trying all the 5 weights I can and having a ball trying the various rods. just remember that in the end, you will be the one using it for the next few years.

Bill

fita1300

Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies. I want to stick with a new rod and wanted to get a feel for what would best suit me. I wanted a more diverse opinion pool. I will go back over the results from the Yellowstone shootouts, and take the suggestions here, then go hassle the guys at BPS and the small local fly shop. I didn't want to embarrass myself by not having an accurate rod and being able to reach farther fish if I hired a guide. My 7 and my 9 are fine from my kayak to flip to close fish when no one can see my flaws, but standing on the bow when the guide has put me in the right spot, well I didn't want to be "one of those guys".

I could always try practicing :D

I like the idea of having something different, where I didn't pay for the name but the function. Of course you don't get popular by making "broomsticks"

thanks again guys

karstopo

Reaction score
There are always that class of guide that seem to have disdain for sports that can't cast or fish as good as them. Well they ought to be good if that's their job. Most everyone else works at something besides fishing and has a life and maybe doesn't fly fish 200-300 days a year. Best thing to do is remember the guide is working for you. You are paying him, select the guide carefully. Be honest with your casting abilities and experience, get a feel for their personality and don't hire them if they show signs of being a jerk, and hopefully they will select areas that are a fit and do it without any negative attitude.

If you can advance the line 40 feet, you can take shots at redfish from the bow of a boat. Casting standing in a boat is infinitely easier that sitting in a kayak. A good guide will likely do the hard part and that is finding fish and then putting you in position for a reasonably easy cast and should be able to do it without any snarky comments about your cast.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I have an 8-wt BVK that was the first good rod I bought. It is not the most expensive rod I have; it is not the least expensive rod I have. But it may be
my favorite rod to cast. I just caught my first baby tarpon on it. It is light, and it is fast, and it is accurate. I've heard that some people have had trouble with them breaking, but I have had no problem with mine. I have caught bass, jacks, and the one tarpon. There may be better rods available for less than $300 but I have no experience with them.

I would also look at the Colton Tradewinds. I just got a Slipstream from Colton, and I really like it. It is a 6-wt though, so you would need to go with the Tradewinds to get an 8. It is well below $300.

The Orvis Clearwater is a nice rod, but I'd call it medium-fast rather than fast. It is a very forgiving rod, so it could be helpful in improving your casting. I have one and unless you are trying to cast an entire roll of line, it will get your fly out to the fish with no problem. I can cast the Clearwater about as far as I can cast my Sage Motive. I can't throw the entire 100' with either, but 75' or 80' is no problem.

Allen has a some nice rods, too. The finish and material quality of the ones I have seen is higher than the price would imply.

brownbass

Reaction score
I have an 8-wt BVK that was the first good rod I bought. It is not the most expensive rod I have; it is not the least expensive rod I have. But it may be
my favorite rod to cast. I just caught my first baby tarpon on it. It is light, and it is fast, and it is accurate. I've heard that some people have had trouble with them breaking, but I have had no problem with mine. I have caught bass, jacks, and the one tarpon. There may be better rods available for less than $300 but I have no experience with them.

I would also look at the Colton Tradewinds. I just got a Slipstream from Colton, and I really like it. It is a 6-wt though, so you would need to go with the Tradewinds to get an 8. It is well below $300.

The Orvis Clearwater is a nice rod, but I'd call it medium-fast rather than fast. It is a very forgiving rod, so it could be helpful in improving your casting. I have one and unless you are trying to cast an entire roll of line, it will get your fly out to the fish with no problem. I can cast the Clearwater about as far as I can cast my Sage Motive. I can't throw the entire 100' with either, but 75' or 80' is no problem.

Allen has some nice rods, too. The finish and material quality of the ones I have seen is higher than the price would imply.
Get on the Allen mailing list, they have good sales and you can buy and try the rod. As long as you don't take the plastic off of the handle and don't trash the rod you can fish it to see if you like it. If you find you don't care for it you have thirty days to return it. Just treat it carefully and you should have no problems.

Bill