cheap or high end or in between fly rod

boiler28

Reaction score
hi i have been fly fishing for two years now and enjoy it. i did not want to spend a lot of money on my first fly rod if i did not like fly fishing. So i got a 5wt quest2 combo from LLbean. i only fish in local ponds there are no salmon or trout. but there is panfish like bluegill.yellow perch,big bass and pike the 5wt rod is nice but it's a little big for the panfish and a little small for the bigger flies for pike and bass so id like to get two new rods. accuracy really is not important to me because i fish in ponds not rivers and streams. i was thinking about getting a 8wt and 2wt or 3wt. my question is would it be better if i went highend like a g lommis nrx ,sage the x or somthng cheaper like a echo base or something in the middle like a douglas dxf. i have been reading a lot of reviews but a lot of talk is about accuracy. do you think i would be better off with a highend or somthing lower end. Thanks

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No one can tell anyone what they might need/want...you will know it when you try it. From your description though, you could save money and upgrade your tackle by going mid-rage quality like Douglas DFR and ECHO3, both a lot of rod for the dough.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
First a warm welcome to your new 'extended' fishing family.:thumbsupu

Now for my 02 cents on fly rods ..... the high end one's are built with better materials, even if the bulk are probably made in China at this point. But the fly rod is just a 'tool' to cast your line and fly(s).

What, imho, is important is the equipment is well balance when rigged for casting/fishing. The higher end one's can be a joy to cast for years to come so purchase equipment that's fit for the task at hand.

fae

knotjoe

Reaction score
i was thinking about getting a 8wt and 2wt or 3wt.
If you are going to spend UP, then spend bigger on the 8wt end of things. The techie perks of material and design will be felt more and appreciated on the longer casts and performance.

Light tackle as in 2-3wt? Typically shorter ranges for casting, smaller quarry, and they're all pleasantly light in hand. Being spendy there can get nice features, but even the lower price ranges they're all pretty good.

I build all my sticks and have spent high and low. My current favorite 2 wt is a six footer and the blank was all of $36.00 (PacBay/RF). Comparable to the $200.00 and over blanks in 7 wt and above due to typical use and performance within such parameters.

Lots of bang for your buck in the lighter stuff. Lower end rods can get kinda mean over a full day on the heavier end of line ratings. Been there, done that, and while there probably are gems to be had at a bargain price it's also easy to get a log.

just4grins

Reaction score
Great you gotten good advice to help with your choices. I'd suggest you also go around to different shops, and ask them, and friends, to let you cast different makes and weight rods to feel the difference. You will see differences it'll help drive your decision.

brownbass

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the rods themselves but the maker is well known. Sierra Trading Post has Mystic and Sage VXPs on closeout. I have stopped myself from ordering an 8"3" 3wt that would be fun on smaller streams and for bluegills and perch, and a 9' 7 or 8 wt, both suitable for bass and pike if they are not too large, your choice. Both for $199. They also have some of the Sage reels on sale that would fit those rods for equally good pricing. I did order the 4230 for a future purchase (keep an eye out on What did you buy today) thread. I resisted as long as I could. If you do buy and you don't care for the rods or reels make sure you can return them. I have not had a problem with STP in the past. There are some good deals on closeout rods by Sage and Hardy at Upcountry, they have a restocking fee unless you can call and talk them into exempting you. I have never tried to and haven't purchased from them.

Bill

mnigro

Reaction score
If I had a sub $500 budget and I was shopping for an 8wt I would rather pick up a high end used rod or one on closeout (how I buy most of my gear) vs buying a shiny new low-end rod. The only problem is that you should really test cast rods to be certain that you’ll like it. If you can buy on closeout local it’s your best bet.

That Sage Accel for $375 might make a great bass rod. Winston Nexus is another great example of a highly regarded rod for a very reasonable clearance price.

After cycling through maybe 20 rods in as many years I’ve been able to own top of the line Sage, T&T, Scott etc.... many of them purchased well below MSRP. It also hurts a lot less when you want/need to sell one too.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
i have been reading a lot of reviews but a lot of talk is about accuracy. do you think i would be better off with a highend or somthing lower end. Thanks
I think that with practice, you can be sufficiently accurate with any reasonably good rod. I have been fly fishing for only a little longer than you, and my experience is that as you progress, and if you really get into it, you will always want the next better rod, reel, line, or whatever else there is. So you will probably eventually get a high end rod, but you will want another to have as a backup anyway. I'd go mid-price, because whatever you get will always have some use for you, even if you later upgrade. The recommendations you've gotten like Douglas, Echo, etc, seem like good advice. There are many more. I think every good brand has a good mid-priced rod. Cast a bunch and see what you like. I have found that high-end rods cast better than the mid-price rod from the same company, but probably not commensurate with the price difference. Orvis Helios vs. Recon, Sage SALT vs Motive, Douglas SKY vs DXF, etc. The high-end costs twice as much but probably doesn't cast twice as well. If money is no object, get the top of the line. But if there is a budget, I'd go mid. Also, keep in mind that a good rod is not worthwhile unless you get a good line, and a decent reel, so don't put all the cost into the rod and then skimp on those.

c web

Reaction score
I really can't comment on high end rods, I do have a sage vxp that I love but I would consider that mid range.

Only reason I commented is to say that I have a redington classic trout 8'6" 3wt that I really love and think would be perfect for panfish. At $149.95 it is a steal in my opinion.

mtboiler

Reaction score
These topics drive me nuts. Don't get me wrong, it is not the question, but the answers that you 'need' a certain priced rod to catch fish. I sell fly rods at a local store. We sell rods from $50 to $1000.
The fact is fly rods are greatly overpriced for what they do...and even worse their performance. 90% of fly fisherman could not tell the difference between a $1000 sage and a $100 rod if they were unmarked with the same line. That being said, a $1000 rod will not catch you any more fish than a $100 rod either.
In my opinion, start off with a decent rod...$100 to $200 is a good enough rod for 90% of fisherman. I fly fish 70 plus times a year and I use a $200 rod! Trust me on this, most fly fisherman could not tell the difference either. we did this one day to a friend that swore by his Sage, handed him a $50 rod and told him it was a $500 rod but it was really a $50 rod...and he picked a $50 rod as the better rod!! Most people, I would say in the 90% of fly anglers would be better suited with an intermediate, more flexable rod anyway because of bad casting habits that hurt the performance of the rod.
Further, the line has way more to do with the 'performance' of the rod than the rod itself. A fast action rod needs a fast action line. If you are using a 7 ft 3wt you need a softer action, shorter head line. Having the right line to load the rod correctly is very important.

Last edited:

boisker

Reaction score
I’d be interested in knowing which $50 rod it was?
... by my reckoning that’s a sub £40 rod (I’m from the UK so need to think in £’s)
There are some great cheap rods about, but there aren’t that many rods below $50... i’ve fished or cast quite a few cheaper rods and a lesser number of the more recent sage models (One, Little One, Accel) so far I’ve yet to try a sub $50 that was better than any of the sage

mtboiler

Reaction score
Boisker you should re-read my post.
The average angler cannot tell the difference between a sage and a crappy rod because they can't cast and don't do it enough. The average 'sage' owner owns a piece of status. They could use a $100 redington path just as effectively.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The average angler cannot tell the difference between a sage and a crappy rod because they can't cast and don't do it enough. The average 'sage' owner owns a piece of status. They could use a $100 redington path just as effectively.
It may well be true that a significant % of fly fishers need casting lessons more than a Sage. If you stop and critically look about at other anglers above and below you on river you might well say to yourself, "I hope I don't look like that!"

I regularly instruct veteran participant at PHWFF casting sessions...men and women who have minimal fly fishing exposure...and outfit them with modest but serviceable TFO outfits. (TFO is a generous contributor and supporter of our efforts) They could not tell or care about the differences between $150 TFO and a $900 Sage X...but I sure can. As I recommended to the OP and recently myself fished a mid-priced ECHO3S#9, pleasurably and effectively, I do not think and as much as I may like a number of high end rods, do not myself fish costly rods exclusively. Tackle must ideally suit an anglers' skill development level and, importantly, the habitat to be fished. I've written before that I have Albright EXS 9'/#5 (which regularly was "discounted" to around $200) which for me fishes better, much better, than some gleamingly high priced Orvis or Winston equivalent models. Not better than my Sage ONE though.

I strive to test cast every rod I can from mass produced factory rods to well built Korean contract rods to the cream of our best American designer/builders. Is there a notably and real difference in quality and performance among rods, reels and lines; absolutely. Does the differences equate to more fish caught or is relevant to all fly fishers? No.

I recommend less experienced anglers a. take lessons and practice a lot and b. outfit themselves with decent mid-range gear. I don't want them the be handicapped by ill-matched junk but believe only experience will instruct them about what more refined equipment will enhance their enjoyment. Also, there is substantial difference between an outfit suited to a creek tributary to the North Fork of the Flathead, the Henry's Fork and the West side of Andros Island.

boisker

Reaction score
Boisker you should re-read my post.
I lost the thread in your post:p
Someone not being able to spot the difference makes more sense....

although gotta say I’d be disappointed in my own casting ability, ability to recognise decent components and for that matter Sage if I couldn’t pick a 50$ rod from a 500$....

Edit... I should say...... I don’t own a sage:D

mtboiler

Reaction score
there is substantial difference between an outfit suited to a creek tributary to the North Fork of the Flathead, the Henry's Fork and the West side of Andros Island.
Absolutely! I own a 3wt for small streams. But I also think the line is more critical than the rod. the Belly length and weight of the line can dramatically improve or deprove(is that a word?) someone's casting ability.
Someone with a good casting stroke can adjust to the rod type and line. But the wrong line makes it even harder for the average caster to cast.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I own a 3wt for small streams.
I have numerous rods but only one specifically intended for small streams (though others are applicable). It is a circa 1984 Orvis 8'/#4 I've has since it was new and cost about $125 back then. I've cast very few graphite rods of that size I have thought where special though last winter I tested a Winston Air of that size and thought it was special...it costs over $900. Sage has a Little ONE of 8'2"/#4 that I bet is sweet but I have never cast it and Scott's GS 8'4"/#4 has got to be fine too but now we're getting long for brush choked environments.

Once you grow to learn what is ideal for you, there are many excellent options at diverse price points. I like specialized rods but until you know and don't need to ask, more generalized, multi functional, mid-priced options are the best path toward deeper understanding of fly tackle. And yes, fly lines optimally matched to a given rod and technique is very important and, in many ways, harder to select than the rod itself.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
A good middle of the road rod is Guideline LPXe if you can buy it in USA. Get a half decent rod like the LPXe and get some professional instructions, well worth it.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Well I don't believe a new current $50 rod is as good as say a $400+ rod in terms of performance, build quality in most respects. Some may not be able to notice the difference but many would. Likewise many people cannot cast but many can and do.

The majority of fly fishers I see on the stream are generally chucking a weighted nymph with a hog of a strike indicator, personally I don't really prefer to fish that way but one can get away with it using a 'cheapo' rod and may have a great fun time doing it that way.

I believe you get diminishing returns as the price goes up and a new model/design will necessarily have a premium added to it that probably does not equate dollar for dollar with the previous models'. You want the latest and greatest (relative term indeed) you will have to pay the entry fee.

Can a new model $50 rod be a nice caster and fisher, of course, so get what makes you happy and be done with it. Ya know, whatever swizzles your schtick.

silver creek

Reaction score
Trust me on this, most fly fisherman could not tell the difference either. we did this one day to a friend that swore by his Sage, handed him a $50 rod and told him it was a $500 rod but it was really a $50 rod...and he picked a $50 rod as the better rod!! ........ A fast action rod needs a fast action line.
One question and a comment. What is a "fast action line." I have never heard that term so please clarify.

My comment is that I think I can tell the difference between a $50 and a $500 rod without even casting. I would examine the fittings and the cork. I also am curious as to what the $50 rod was and the $500 rod.