G Loomis IMX Pro thoughts

er19ic74

Reaction score
Currently trying to decide which 4 weight rod to add to my quiver. Had the chance to cast a loomis nrx lp 4 weight and imx pro 6 weight (they didnt have the 4 weight in the shop). Also wanted to cast the Hardy Zephrus but dont have a shop close that carries it. I absolutely loved the feel of the imx pro but can’t find any user reviews for the 4 weight. Anyone out there cast the imx pro and the hardy zephrus both in 4 weight? If so, any thoughts on which rod has more feel in close (10-20 foot range)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgp

Reaction score
Just to confuse the matter a little further, I’d include a SAGE Pulse 486 into the mix. I’ve owned this rod for over 12 months now and it’s a great do it all 4 weight at a reasonable price point.

brownbass

Reaction score
Currently trying to decide which 4 weight rod to add to my quiver. Had the chance to cast a loomis nrx lp 4 weight and imx pro 6 weight (they didnt have the 4 weight in the shop). Also wanted to cast the Hardy Zephrus but dont have a shop close that carries it. I absolutely loved the feel of the imx pro but can’t find any user reviews for the 4 weight. Anyone out there cast the imx pro and the hardy zephrus both in 4 weight? If so, any thoughts on which rod has more feel in close (10-20 foot range)?

I just purchase an LP in 5 weight and I have a Sage Pulse in the 486 configuration. I haven't had much chance to fish dries with the LP but what little I have the LP is a better close in rod. I waffled about buying a Hardy Zephrus 5 and was going to try the 486 Zephrus but tried the LP and thats the rod I walked out the door with. What length were you considering? I understand Yellowstone Angler will be having a 4 weight shootout soon and GA hinted that he likes the 486 Zepherous a lot.

herman35

Reaction score
YouTube

In Hardy we have new Hardy zephrus ultralite with medium fast action has more feedback and it's better in close than your sister zephrus

Imx is fiber with fast action with great sensibility but fast so it's not good idea in close range

Other option Scott g is great in close in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G955F by Tapatalk

er19ic74

Reaction score
I just purchase an LP in 5 weight and I have a Sage Pulse in the 486 configuration. I haven't had much chance to fish dries with the LP but what little I have the LP is a better close in rod. I waffled about buying a Hardy Zephrus 5 and was going to try the 486 Zephrus but tried the LP and thats the rod I walked out the door with. What length were you considering? I understand Yellowstone Angler will be having a 4 weight shootout soon and GA hinted that he likes the 486 Zepherous a lot.
Looking at the 486 Zephrus as a 9’ 5 wt is too much power for most of the trout fishing I do. Already have a 7’6” 3 wt for smaller streams... just trying to get something with a little more power for nymph rigs. I read a little about the new Scott G series but not sure a medium action rod is the route I want to go. So many good rods out there it’s hard to make a choice. We have a fly fishing show coming up in mid Jan... hoping to cast a few of these rods there. Thanks for the input.

er19ic74

Reaction score
YouTube

In Hardy we have new Hardy zephrus ultralite with medium fast action has more feedback and it's better in close than your sister zephrus

Imx is fiber with fast action with great sensibility but fast so it's not good idea in close range

Other option Scott g is great in close in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G955F by Tapatalk
I wondered about the speed of the imx... that 6 wt was so smooth and cast 50’ with little effort. I think if I lived out west it would be great.... but I dont. I’ll have to look at the zephrus ultralite... didnt know that was a different rod

brownbass

Reaction score
Looking at the 486 Zephrus as a 9’ 5 wt is too much power for most of the trout fishing I do. Already have a 7’6” 3 wt for smaller streams... just trying to get something with a little more power for nymph rigs. I read a little about the new Scott G series but not sure a medium action rod is the route I want to go. So many good rods out there it’s hard to make a choice. We have a fly fishing show coming up in mid Jan... hoping to cast a few of these rods there. Thanks for the input.

If your looking for a close range 4 weight in the 8'6" configuration check out the discontinued Hardy Jet. I bought one and the Sage Pulse at the same time to compare and kept the Pulse because it was a faster rod that would reach out further than the Jet but the Jet was really good up close out to 45 feet. I liked the looks of the Jet's and components as well. They also have a newer version I can't wait to check out. The new Hardy Superlights came out after I bought the LP. Not sorry about it but I like alot of the Hardy rods.

Bill

camren

Reaction score
I own the IMX Pro in 5wt. and fish a GPX line on it. To be upfront, I am new to trout fishing but not fly fishing.

The IMX Pro is very fish-able at 10-20 feet, which really is more about the caster for the most part. However, your question is about FEEL, which I would NOT say this rod has in large qualities in close. My thoughts about the 5wt are similar to your about the 6 wt... a little distance and the rod came alive. Being said, I do think its a great nymphing rod, which is likely what it was designed for given some of the language they use in marketing it, "modern tactics" and such.

What were your thoughts on the NRX LP in 4wt?

er19ic74

Reaction score
I own the IMX Pro in 5wt. and fish a GPX line on it. To be upfront, I am new to trout fishing but not fly fishing.

The IMX Pro is very fish-able at 10-20 feet, which really is more about the caster for the most part. However, your question is about FEEL, which I would NOT say this rod has in large qualities in close. My thoughts about the 5wt are similar to your about the 6 wt... a little distance and the rod came alive. Being said, I do think its a great nymphing rod, which is likely what it was designed for given some of the language they use in marketing it, "modern tactics" and such.

What were your thoughts on the NRX LP in 4wt?
Thanks for the help. I wasn’t all that impressed with the nrx... but it may have been the fly line they had for test casting (it looked like a slinky coming off the reel). The rod itself felt much stiffer than I like. Been reading more about the hardy zephrus ultralite and Scotts update to the G series. Really hoping to cast those two side by side. This is more difficult than making a decision on a car

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
So many good rods out there it’s hard to make a choice. We have a fly fishing show coming up in mid Jan... hoping to cast a few of these rods there.
The Fly Fishing Show, this coming year in Edison rather than Somerset, NJ, is the way to compare most of the rods available. Loomis, Hardy, Sage, Scott...they will all be there to talk to and try their rods. The bottleneck is the crowds at the minimalist casting pond and the lack of consistency in fly lines provide to test rods with. A dedicated comparer might bring his own reel with preferred 4-weight line to even the playing field. My #1 among the current 8 1/2'/#4's?...Sage's X. Check out Winston's Air too.

ibookje

Reaction score
Yes if one is serious about judging rods one should bring his own reel/line(s)

herman35

Reaction score
I have my new rod hardy zephrus ultralite 9.9 2wt and it's amazing
Incredibly light in hand with gorgeous finished... At the tip of the rod I can feel a great energy to cast ( with fly line SA VPT 3wt to enjoy) The action is more medium than zephrus. It's perfect to beginners because you can feel charging the rod perfectly. It protects tippet 7x without problems... feel & sensitive & light the only problem that I found is handle skinny but it is necessary to nymph so... Impressive rod

Sent from my SM-G955F through Tapatalk

Last edited:

er19ic74

Reaction score
I have my new rod hardy zephrus ultralite 9.9 2wt and it's amazing
Incredibly light in hand with gorgeous finished... At the tip of the rod I can feel a great energy to cast ( with fly line SA VPT 3wt to enjoy) The action is more medium than zephrus. It's perfect to beginners because you can feel charging the rod perfectly. It protects tippet 7x without problems... feel & sensitive & light the only problem that I found is handle skinny but it is necessary to nymph so... Impressive rod

Sent from my SM-G955F through Tapatalk
Thanks for the confirmation...I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Zephrus ultralite 8’9” 4 weight. Cant wait for spring

fattire

Reaction score
You want either an NRX 4wt or the Asquith 4wt they are the two best 9 foot 4wt ever built. With the Asquith being the best. I have Asquith in 4wt and 5wt and the NRX in 4wt and Scott Radian in 5wt. I like the Asquith the best but not sure if it is worth the extra money in the 5wt but it is in the 4wt. The NRX is the second best, I have fished the NRX LP 4wt and it is a fine dry fly only rod but the NRX and Asquith 4wt cast dries just as well and handle the wind great, hopper/dropper, and medium nymph rigs. I also have a new Scott G Series 4wt 8'8" and use if for dry flies or hoppers on small streams if I could only own one 4wt it would be the NRX or Asquith. Radian in a 4wt is nice but you need to go with the 8'6" and stay away from the 9' Radian 4wt. On the Colorado River, Blue, Eagle, and AR Rivers in Colorado I pretty much just fish the 4wt Asquith now unless I am going to fish nymphs deep and heavy on the Colorado River.