Somewhat custom Sage 389 LL from Yellowstone Angler....

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
This is cool! For those wanting a 389 LL, this is a unique opportunity. Price is somewhat steep, but for those who want one of these sweet little sticks then this presents a great opportunity. This particular rod has received so much attention and has become a collector's item. I own an original 2 piece 389 LL that I bought new, on closeout in 1997. I am fortunate that I own a piece of this moment of Sage's history, as I love the understated beauty of the rod and it's connected feeling to my arm when fishing dries. The medium action of the rod is just phenomenal and it feels a lot lighter than its stated weight. Just a sweet rod that still garners a lot of attention and respect to this day.

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
Very true point. No warranty is a tough one. Due to this rods pedestal status some will buy it either way. That's a lot of coin though no doubt.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
Yes, I️ wouldn’t put it past myself to maybe have one one day but no warranty or if unable to fix if tragedy struck is a dealbreaker to many I’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
The 389LL is without question one of the most coveted rods out there. Go over to eBay and do the advanced search on what these rods are selling for :shocking:

There are other ways to find them, that's for sure, but for the most part those that have them know what they can sell them for online.

I got lucky a couple of years ago and found mine in a fly shop over in a dusty corner.......

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have an original one of these 8'9" LLs. This is a favorite trout rod length of mine and the rod is a smoothie but I still don't get the classic status. I quickly replaced it when Sage introduced its follow up SP with superior blank technology (Sage's first carbon scrim rod following the GLX innovation), replacing LLs stamped reel seat with a machined one and adding considerable taper refinement to their moderate action portfolio. Luckily I never get rid of old fishing rods and still have it residing in my wife's rod kit. She likes it but would not mind my selling it for a lot of money (it is in great condition with original tube and sock). Only thing is, if I sold it she would want a replacement; likely Sage 8 1/2'/#4 X.

Now, I consider the new little X a considerably superior rod to the LL, however, if I loved the 8'9" LL and could not find an original, I would jump at Anderson's custom offering. I have never taken warranty into consideration when wanting a particular new rod and, on the rare occasion I have had one break, I have experienced nothing but generously professional repair service from any of the established makers (Except from Orvis on my broken 8'9" 1984 5-weight). I would contact Sage and ask, if broken, would they provide a new section and for a fee I bet they would. The only reason they might not is because they may not like George for the ill treatment he lavishes on Sage in his Shootouts.

As an afterthought, if you buy this rare classic, keep it away from vacuum cleaners and ceiling fans.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
If one really wanted that model having a warranty would not be a deal breaker for me, luckily I don't want one. I have had 3 rods broken in 50 years. Two of those were by fishing companions with unattended feet, one in a drift boat, one in a canoe. One rod tip was broken on the Truckee as it fell in the water and the tip was all that was available to prevent losing the whole rig (my beloved 1972 CFO IV). So considering my poor choices of fishing companions I just keep my treasured equipment away from them.

udiablo

Reaction score
OK and CO (between Gunnison and Crested Butte
If one really wanted that model having a warranty would not be a deal breaker for me, luckily I don't want one. I have had 3 rods broken in 50 years. Two of those were by fishing companions with unattended feet, one in a drift boat, one in a canoe. One rod tip was broken on the Truckee as it fell in the water and the tip was all that was available to prevent losing the whole rig (my beloved 1972 CFO IV). So considering my poor choices of fishing companions I just keep my treasured equipment away from them.
It has always amazed me how good rods can die in boats. Or in cars/trucks.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I watched in horror from a dock as a companion handed a guide a bundle of some 7 rods then slipped getting into the boat and stepped right on them, shattering most. Most of them where his, I was in a different skiff. Warranties are not worth a darn when you are fishing a Bahamian out island.

ixoye

Reaction score
Why doesn't Sage make new LL rods when these are so incredibly popular?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Why doesn't Sage make new LL rods when these are so incredibly popular?
Because their new ones are SO much better. Sage, unlike Orvis, Winston even Scott, is not worried about loosing sales to retro rod nostalgia. They know rods like current moderate action MOD is better in every way than late 90's LL...good though it was. If my wife didn't fish it a few times a season, I would never retrieve LL (8'9") from the dark of its tube. Now, if one of you wants to offer me $999; mine is in perfect condition.

el jefe

Reaction score
Because their new ones are SO much better. Sage, unlike Orvis, Winston even Scott, is not worried about loosing sales to retro rod nostalgia. They know rods like current moderate action MOD is better in every way than late 90's LL...good though it was. If my wife didn't fish it a few times a season, I would never retrieve LL (8'9") from the dark of its tube. Now, if one of you wants to offer me $999; mine is in perfect condition.
I respectfully disagree with you. Sage did exactly that (re-produce a popular older rod) with the XP, and I would not be completely shocked to see them produce an LL run one day. Though many rod purchases are made because the new release is superior to its predecessors, still many purchases are nostalgia-based. There is a reason bamboo rods are still made today.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Well, I have a spot in my heart for good cane too...though I rarely fish it. I believe the extended runs of XP were specifically for Cabalas and was about making money more than nostalgia I suppose. Still, respecting your history and learning from it going forward is not the same as repeating it.

silver creek

Reaction score
This Off Topic but do mean the VXP, which really was not the same as the XP. Cabela's did get Sage to continue to produce VXPs after they were discontinued.

Sage did reproduce the RPL and the LL after they were discontinued as the VPS and VPSL series.

Sage Fly Rods

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm not positive, Silver, but I recall Sage did a large post discontinuation run of XP's (specifically for Cabelas) prior to the introduction of inferior to XP, VXP. XP is one of the few major flagship Sage models I never owned, it being so similar in character and other respects to concurrent GLX, my main rod at that time. My pard, Dillon, did fish 9'/#5 XP for years though so I surely was familiar with it.

el jefe

Reaction score
This Off Topic but do mean the VXP, which really was not the same as the XP. Cabela's did get Sage to continue to produce VXPs after they were discontinued.

Sage did reproduce the RPL and the LL after they were discontinued as the VPS and VPSL series.

Sage Fly Rods
It was indeed the XP, not the VXP, and S&S is correct in pointing out that the run was done for Cabela's. I won't be terribly surprised to see Cabela's commission a similar run of the ONE a few years hence.

On topic, I certainly think Sage could produce a run of LLs, but doubt that they will. I would jump at a 389-4 LL.