Sage Method closeout... When will the day come?

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
Let's get a discussion going on when the Method will be replaced in the Sage lineup. It seems that with the way Sage cycles rods every few years that the Method should be reaching the end of its run. Does anyone have any inside news as to when the Method will be replaced and closed out. I feel that it will be sometime next year. Maybe a Method HD or something to that effect, as I am sure that Sage will want to put their Konnetic HD technology into a new, hot rod stick. If so, I am waiting for the day a Method 490-4 goes on closeout. I really think that rod will be the cat's ass for the local waters I fish. I will be watching closely for the day to come. Post your thoughts on the Method series of rods.

coho52

Reaction score
Given that Sage now has released the X and the SALT HD, it's almost certain the next use of Konnetic HD will be in the Method replacement. The next IFTD is in mid July so I don't think you'll be seeing any closeout sales on the current Method until at least mid to late second quarter of 2018. I think it was only last June when some dealers starting having sales on the SALT (with the announcement of the SALT HD in July).

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
Given that Sage now has released the X and the SALT HD, it's almost certain the next use of Konnetic HD will be in the Method replacement. The next IFTD is in mid July so I don't think you'll be seeing any closeout sales on the current Method until at least mid to late second quarter of 2018. I think it was only last June when some dealers starting having sales on the SALT (with the announcement of the SALT HD in July).
I think you're right. IFTD 2018 may very well be the unveiling of the next generation Method/Method lineage ultra fast rod. Exciting times to come for sure.

el jefe

Reaction score
The new Method will come out at the same time as Taylormade's new driver. And the new Method will get you 17 more yards off the tee.

eastfly66

Reaction score
The new Method will come out at the same time as Taylormade's new driver. And the new Method will get you 17 more yards off the tee.
Winter is here !!!

Let the Scott vs. Sage wars begin !!! :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Winter is here !!!

Let the Scott vs. Sage wars begin !!! :)
Method would be the logical next series to be replaced with an HD up-grade. Sage is fairly closed mouthed about such things but reps and dealers start getting a heads up by late winter/early spring. I would not be surprised by rumors by the New Jersey Show in late January. Anyway, as above, it would be around the IFDS that closeouts would commence.

Method will be a hard act to follow and I'm already behind the curve having not yet cast a #8 Sage X or S HD or Loomis Asquith and T&T Exocet either. I think I've cast all the other flats intended 8-weights with the exception of Stickman T8 and Orvis H3 and I'm still fishing the NRX.

Regarding Scott, I know nothing but hold out hope for a Radian 2 refinement with more low end RP, a reworked tip to mid section transition and ditch the orange trim for a more organic color.

I know we are talking Method here but MOD would benefit from a re-work too, particularly the addition of shorter models...maybe a color change too?

eastfly66

Reaction score
Method would be the logical next series to be replaced with an HD up-grade. Sage is fairly closed mouthed about such things but reps and dealers start getting a heads up by late winter/early spring. I would not be surprised by rumors by the New Jersey Show in late January. Anyway, as above, it would be around the IFDS that closeouts would commence.

Method will be a hard act to follow and I'm already behind the curve having not yet cast a #8 Sage X or S HD or Loomis Asquith and T&T Exocet either. I think I've cast all the other flats intended 8-weights with the exception of Stickman T8 and Orvis H3 and I'm still fishing the NRX.

Regarding Scott, I know nothing but hold out hope for a Radian 2 refinement with more low end RP, a reworked tip to mid section transition and ditch the orange trim for a more organic color.

I know we are talking Method here but MOD would benefit from a re-work too, particularly the addition of shorter models...maybe a color change too?
Just think about it ! Isn't it a wonderful thing that they all don't release new rods on the same schedule ! This way between existing rod companies and the new kids on the block we always have something to look forward to and try out !

el jefe

Reaction score

Sage did add a 486 and 586 to the MOD line. That 486 might be a nice stick! But a 386 and a 280 would be the cat's meow. Purr.......

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Sage did add a 486 and 586 to the MOD line. That 486 might be a nice stick! But a 386 and a 280 would be the cat's meow. Purr.......
Someday, I'm going to upgrade my 1984 Orvis Western 8'/#4 with a new small stream special. I'll retain the venerable CFO though. Do you realize how few rods of this configuration are available in modern design/technology? Winston Air is all that comes to mind.

dreihl9896

Reaction score
ICAST/IFTD 2018 is set for July 10-13. Closeouts are sure to follow the new introductions. EFFTEX is normally a few weeks earlier, at which point, we'll be able to see which rod Sage enters for Best New Fly Rod. I guess my money would be and HD version of the Method. I wouldn't be surprised to see both the Mod and the Method discontinued, with maybe only the Method getting a direct, immediate replacement (such as when the One and Circa were both retired). Other first generation Konnetic models remaining in that are candidates for updates or retirement over the next couple of years include the Little One and the One Trout Spey. I've actually done well recently building a quiver almost exclusively from outgoing Sage models at around half price. I don't know if I'd bite on a Method, but would be tempted by an 486 Mod, a #8 Motive, or an opportunity to fill pretty much any "need" I have with a Pulse on the cheap.

steveid

Reaction score
In my head, a Method in 696 would make a great boat rod/heavy nymph rod. I could justify one of those.

The Mod, although I love the color of it, just isn’t needed for me. It will be interesting to see what the sales do next year.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Someday, I'm going to upgrade my 1984 Orvis Western 8'/#4 with a new small stream special. I'll retain the venerable CFO though. Do you realize how few rods of this configuration are available in modern design/technology? Winston Air is all that comes to mind.
482-4 Sage ONE

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Let's get a discussion going on when the Method will be replaced in the Sage lineup. It seems that with the way Sage cycles rods every few years that the Method should be reaching the end of its run. Does anyone have any inside news as to when the Method will be replaced and closed out. I feel that it will be sometime next year. Maybe a Method HD or something to that effect, as I am sure that Sage will want to put their Konnetic HD technology into a new, hot rod stick. If so, I am waiting for the day a Method 490-4 goes on closeout. I really think that rod will be the cat's ass for the local waters I fish. I will be watching closely for the day to come. Post your thoughts on the Method series of rods.
Just curious to know why you wouldn’t buy one now if you like it?

If we don’t support the rod building companies, one day there will be no more development and no more cheap closeouts.

dreihl9896

Reaction score

If we don’t support the rod building companies, one day there will be no more development and no more cheap closeouts.
You know the answer to that. If you are still confused though, I think maybe I should take a picture of the expression on my wife's face when I try to convince her that a Mod is worth $400-500 this summer, and I'll let you be the judge as to whether or I'd ever be able to convince her that it would actually be a good buy at $850.

Besides, helping to move the old stock does still support the rod companies and the industry as a whole. That is part of the model that Sage operates on. It's their process, and the understanding that there are individuals who will help liquidate the outdated models is part of the reason that retailers are willing to keep an increased inventory of their products.

Last edited:

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score

I see where you're coming from... I fully support supporting the rod companies and individual fly shops. I do like to get deals though too. Some stuff I pay full retail no problem. It's just that with Sage rods, there's deals (closeouts) on them every 2-5 years. I guess my main reason is... I don't really need another rod, but I would sure like to have it, and when they're on closeout, it is very hard to resist getting a new rod. I may sling a couple two or three rods on the big auction site. Then, I would probably get one.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My Sage ONE 9'/#5 is from one of the first production runs of this brilliant model some 6 years ago. Had I waited for it to go on close-out discount last year when X was introduced, I would have missed out on fishing it over the last 6 years. That would have been totally unacceptable as with the partial exception of 2000's Nano Nti, there has been and still isn't a technical dry fly rod in its league...except for perhaps Method in #5. Close out bargains are nice for a niche addition to your kit but for a superior core rod; life is too short to wait for production cycles to run their course and given the choice between a brilliant new rod and money to upgrade the dishwasher with, even my wife understands the rod is infinitely more important. When X was introduced and I learned how unusually excellent its 8 1/2'/#5 was, I made sure I had it to fish during its first season...and I'm overjoyed I did! No, it does not compare to or overshadow my 9'/#5 ONE; I fish them on different size rivers.

Seattle, how does the Little ONE 8'2"/#4 compare to my ONE 8 1/2'/#4? Is there redundancy there or are their tapers very different?

unicoiboy

Reaction score
You know the answer to that. If you are still confused though, I think maybe I should take a picture of the expression on my wife's face when I try to convince her that a Mod is worth $400-500 this summer, and I'll let you be the judge as to whether or I'd ever be able to convince her that it would actually be a good buy at $850.

Besides, helping to move the old stock does still support the rod companies and the industry as a whole. That is part of the model that Sage operates on. It's their process, and the understanding that there are individuals who will help liquidate the outdated models is part of the reason that retailers are willing to keep an increased inventory of their products.
Haha, good one. That would be true if every fly shop was cabelas. But with places like STP and cabelas, closeouts kill small dealers. Sage gets the same $ either way, its the little guys that take the hits. Shops often make nothing or loose money on closeouts. It wouldn't bother me one bit if the entire industry got rid of this terrible life time warranty thing either, at least we'd see rod prices drop.