Lamson Center Axis Rod & Reel

steveid

Reaction score
Haven’t ever touched one, but it seems they are trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist, at least for me.

Maybe I would consider it if premium rods were offered with that technology.

For some reason, I have never been a Lamson fan, although they are based in Boise (Real America!) where I grew up.

knotjoe

Reaction score
Center axis concepts are interesting, but the end result is a reelrod as opposed to a rod & reel. Not a problem until one wishes to swap-out a different reel and then the limitations become obvious.

That said, I'm sure the balance and feel in hand is much like some of the Sage products with the integrated reel concept. As long as they are a tad bottom heavy, the system doesn't want to spin/rotate on the cast like it would with true center axis reel. I know this from a project involving an ice fishing reel applied to a mini flyrod idea...unless you're slightly bottom biased on reel weight, the rod almost always wants to rotate. True center=bad idea. Slight offset is good.

Reel limitations be darned, I'd wager the Lamson product is pretty sweet to cast. Looks sharp, too.

SethO

Reaction score
I like the concept and I quite like how it felt in the store, but I also like having the option to swap out my rod/reel combination. Also, the price was $750... I ain't that kind of successful.

foulhook3160

Reaction score
The concept is not new. Lamson licensed the concept to Sage and it did not take off. But the concept is interesting to me.

To give a counter point to those who say "why?", there are several reasons for at least trying the concept. Most fly rod designers actually test the rod without the reel attached. It gives a truer feel of what the rod blank will do without the reel, so it makes sense to try to alleviate the reel as much as possible. Also machines designed to cast fly rods, cast farther without the reel. Maybe the reel is affecting the distance and action of the rod.

So is the Lamson center axis the "end-all' fly rod/reel combo. I have no idea, but I am open to the concept and can't wait to cast it at the Fly Fishing Show in February. For a review with people that I trust, go to Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog and go to "select blog" category and click on reviews. Good people with fair reviews. Lets see how this works out.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
To me its horribly, horribly unappealing visually. Even if it was $79.99 and the best casting fly rod to date, I still couldnt see myself fishing it.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

el jefe

Reaction score
To me its horribly, horribly unappealing visually. Even if it was $79.99 and the best casting fly rod to date, I still couldnt see myself fishing it.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
By contrast, I think the Sage offering of several years ago was attractive. It commands a premium on the used market, too.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I know nothing about the rod itself which, in a conventional reel seat variant costs $399, or what its source is. One fundamental problem I have here is not with the concept which, I also don't find too interesting, but that the reel is a too wide Lamson. I also recall the Sage version and it didn't appeal to me either.

Regarding casting a rod sans reel with it and coiled line on the ground, this is an interesting exercise. It leads some to form the opinion that the lightest reel possible should be mounted. For pure casting this is not an unreasonable idea, lower total mass to move. Less so for actually fishing where, when not casting during walking, wading, waiting for a rise or to see a fish on a flat, neutral balance is advantageous. I'm not a big spare spool guy but will often have three reels with differing 5-weight line designs which I may switch on a given rod.

Fundamentally, I require that I select my preferred rod and reel rather than some one else assembling it for me.

SethO

Reaction score
I would definitely buy a 3 weight if it was priced at around $250. It would be an interesting one to have in the collection.

Does anyone have a picture of the old Sage one (or even what it was called so I can Google)?

el jefe

Reaction score
I would definitely buy a 3 weight if it was priced at around $250. It would be an interesting one to have in the collection.

Does anyone have a picture of the old Sage one (or even what it was called so I can Google)?
Google Sage SPL-CA, SLT-CA, SPL Center Axis, or SLT Center Axis. Those systems used the Sage 3100, 3200, or 3300 click-and-pawl reels.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
It looks interesting... yet I am not interested. An observation I have made before in a different context... or maybe the opposite side of the same context*... is that the companies that make the best rods (Loomis, Scott, for example) are not the companies that make the best reels (Tibor, Abel, Nautilus, Hatch); maybe Orvis and Sage are exceptions, but their best reels rarely get accolades equal to their best rods. I am a fan of Lamson reels, but I have no idea what that rod is like, and I would be inclined to buy a rod from one of the aforementioned manufacturers rather than from Lamson, which has no prior track record with regard to rod quality. As much as I like Lamson reels, I have no interest in the rod. I'd rather buy each component from the master of its respective trade than from the jack of all. That's a saying for a reason.

* Where I have made the observation previously was in the context of "starter sets" for fly fishing. I am not a fan of them... because I feel that some companies are better at entry level rods (Echo or TFO, for example) than they are are entry level reels... and vice versa, so I would advise against buying both components from the same company.

pnc

Reaction score
I get the proposed concept. Weight, balance, makes sense. Lamson, now rod building, using a combo to enter rod market. Doesn't make sense. Why limit the sales to start ? Maybe it will catch on with some.
Smaller than normal reels w/gel spun for capacity are on my saltwater rods. I keep my hand back on the handle against reel. Sometimes pinky on reel. Easier to get deep load into rod.
From pictures posted reel would be in the way for me.

....... pc

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't know and am not so interested as to research...though I will ask Waterworks at the NJ FF Show and report back...but, as Lamson already produces reels in China, I suspect the stand alone or, in the above depicted rod/reel combo, their new rod may likely be Asian sourced too.

biker1usa

Reaction score
To me looks like a lot of Harley's out on the road, butt ugly and as useful as a pimple on a donkey's ass. 100% of all Harley's made are still on the road-5% of them actually made it back home.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't know about the rod and reel, but there are some beautiful images (of some places I may know) in the provided Lamson link.
I'm not so sure about that. I interpret them as being on that ranch downstream of where we fish. And, considering we fish rods like 8 1/2'/#4 ONEs with Nautilus or Ross Evo R reels there, this Lamson concoction is, essentially, totally irrelevant to us.