Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Thomas & Thomas ES? Info needed, review

Default Thomas & Thomas ES? Info needed, review

I won one of these ES series t&t rods on E-bay for $82. It is a size and weight that I needed so without being able to find out anything except they are about 10 years old I bought it not really knowing. I cast a friends LPS before, and loved it but I know nothing about this ES. I assume it is an entry level option from around 1999. Is this 8.5ft 4 wt worth stringing up and using?
    Thanks, Ausablebrown

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thomas & Thomas ES? Info needed, review

Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

This may sound a bit flippant but unless it is broken in two places I would say that at the price you paid it is a great fly rod.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thomas & Thomas is not a company like St. Croix (which is a good company), and I don't know whether they would have offered cheapy rods back then.
    You can go to their website, and call them for info on the ES rod. They are a small company, and would be able to answer any of your questions. They might even have a catalog listing for the ES that they can share with you. Sounds like a great length and line weight!

By entry level, it looks like it retailed for about $300; for a Thomas its a "cheapie". It comes with a black plastic tube instead of the fancy blue, and the blank is grey unsanded. The only other mention I could find online was a fly shop listing that said "sold" $175. At $82 not broken in half I think I stole this one! Ill put a little review here when I get it.

5. Default Re: Thomas & Thomas ES? Info needed, review

There is nothing cheap about T&T. They are all built in Massachusetts by quality minded people. I know, I used to work next door to their shop ten years ago. I have reviewed their operations three times at different manufacturing sites. They had to move because of lease agreements that ran out on them. I worked for the company that leased one of the buildings to them.
    I have seen how they build their rods and how much inspection goes into each one. I have never seen one of their rods priced that low. You got a great deal. If you want to get ahold of them the easiest way is to look at their web site.
    I do own one of their rods and love it.

Blog Entries

Default $300 is not exactly a Bargain Barn Price;

Since this thread has gotten a second lease on life and I have re-read the posts, I am going to add another comment. In the past 4 years I have caught some where between 1 and 300 salmon and a considerable number of steelhead and char, all while using rods that were lower in cost than the "cheapie" 300 dollar T&T our poster is questioning.

I am amazed by the level of suspicion that people have regarding any fly rod that does not retail for over $465.00.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Default Re: $300 is not exactly a Bargain Barn Price;

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Since this thread has gotten a second lease on life and I have re-read the posts, I am going to add another comment. In the past 4 years I have caught some where between 1 and 300 salmon and a considerable number of steelhead and char, all while using rods that were lower in cost than the "cheapie" 300 dollar T&T our poster is questioning.

I am amazed by the level of suspicion that people have regarding any fly rod that does not retail for over $465.00.
    See what you mean ArdI love my Quarrow...I got for $50

ab

IMHO any 8.5' 4wt that you get for 82 bucks is worth "stringing up" & trying out
    before you dump it. Nice buy.