Combo thoughts... Orvis Encounter vs Cabela's Synch (new model)

spicymac

Reaction score
Wanting to get back into fly fishing again (lived in Alaska for 14 years and did plenty of it up there), but am struggling with what to restart with. Budget of about 150-200 bucks, so am forced to look at some of the combos out there. Have both an Orvis and Cabela's within 30 minutes of my home. Have been impressed with the customer service at both locations.

Here's what I'm looking at...all in 9' 5wt.

Orvis Encounter combo

Cabela's Synch Fly combo (new version)

I'm not partial to either brand. Cabela's Synch has Scientific Anglers fly line. Not sure what the Orvis Encounter has.

They both feel good in my hand.

Wondering what the general populace thinks about both these setups, and which one you would choose...and why?

Thanks much!
Andy

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I will give the same advice I always give as I started out less than five years ago.

-I buy plenty of Cabela's gear but I always research it well. It must always be on sale so I can throw it in the trash without reservation if it doesn't work out. They sell some truly good values, but plenty of trash. Very few of their rods are consistently good IMO. I don't use them except for a CGR which is a niche rod for my small streams.

-Carefully done you can start out more effectively by piecing a combo together yourself. It won't be cheaper but close enough and smarter in the near future IMO. Most fly combos are cheap and that requires they come with junk fly line. Junk flyline will not add to your pleasure even in the intermediate term.

-Maybe look at Echo products? The Echo Base is a nice rod you won't feel you must upgrade in a month. If you must skimp, then skimp on the reel. It does little more than store line for many applications.

-Start with at least one component you can use for awhile or you are wasting your money on a combo IMO.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I would advise against a combo. My reason is that I don't think the companies that offer a decent entry-level rod provide a decent reel, and vice versa; also the warranties on starter rods are generally not good. If you get a combo, neither component of it will be very good. I was even advised by an Orvis instructor not to get the Encounter combo. I would get a better rod and a cheap reel, as the reel is of little importance at this point, and then upgrade the reel later when your budget allows. An Echo Base or Allen Compass rod and any inexpensive reel (Cabelas Wind River or Prestige) would work. Also, be sure that the line you get is good, as cheap line is hard to cast, and it will be frustrating. You've fished before, so you won't have a learning curve, but there's no need to make it less pleasant with cheap line. Cabela's sells the Echo rod, the Prestige reel, Rio Mainstream line, and backing, and you could get all of that and stay within your budget. You might check with Allen, as I understand that they will upgrade their Prelude Combo with a Compass rod for the difference in the rod price, and that would probably make a decent starter set, and should also keep you within your budget. Either of those rods would have a lifetime warranty, and if you really get back into fly fishing and upgrade further, either one would serve as a good backup.

Edited to say: I was not repeating word for word what ia_trouter said; it seems we were both replying at the same time... and saying almost exactly the same thing. He gets credit for getting it in first.:shades:

karstopo

Reaction score
My neighbor has or had the Orvis Encounter combo in an eight weight. Granted it’s a heavier weight rod than what you are looking for, but his did not hold up well in very limited use. Lots of cracking in the epoxy on the guide threads. Tons of corrosion. He did use it in saltwater, but he is pretty careful with his other rods so I just think the guides and reel seat aren’t very good.

Rod felt very heavy for an eight weight, too. The Encounter has a different warranty as compared to the higher end Orvis rods.

I have several Cabelas CGRs. I can’t speak for their other rods, but the CGR components and cork has held up well to heavy use and some have seen extensive time in saltwater and still been good.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Take I_a's and mj's advice above. Buy neither outfit. The new Cabela's I know nothing about other than it is Cabela's but the Orvis Encounter might talk you out of fly fishing it is so bad. Check out ECHO and Allen Fly Fishing.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
If you look around you can find great deals.

I bought a Fenwick Aetos 6-wt on Amazon for $120. It is a terrific rod.
I bought a Ross Flystart reel at Sierra Trading Post for $17 (I wasn't shopping for a reel, I have several other 6-wt reels, but I looked in the showcase to see what they had. I thought the price tag was an error, but it wasn't so I bought it).
I bought SA Sharkwave GPX line in the sale bin at LL Bean for $39.

So a pretty good setup for $176.

Speaking of STP, I stop in there a couple times a month just to poke around. They usually have some good deals of one kind or another. The other day I bought several multipacks of leaders for $1.99 (the same ones cost $5.99 at the LL Bean store up the road), tippets and other small stuff like that. Before Christmas they had a kayak in there for $315. I looked it up and the usual retail price was $699. I was tempted to buy it but I just don't need another kayak.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
My neighbor has or had the Orvis Encounter combo in an eight weight. Granted it’s a heavier weight rod than what you are looking for, but his did not hold up well in very limited use. Lots of cracking in the epoxy on the guide threads. Tons of corrosion. He did use it in saltwater, but he is pretty careful with his other rods so I just think the guides and reel seat aren’t very good.

Rod felt very heavy for an eight weight, too. The Encounter has a different warranty as compared to the higher end Orvis rods.

I have several Cabelas CGRs. I can’t speak for their other rods, but the CGR components and cork has held up well to heavy use and some have seen extensive time in saltwater and still been good.
The Encounter has a "limited" warranty against defects, but not the standard 25-year Orvis warranty. I'm not sure what that gets you, but it doesn't sound great. Cabela's does have a combo with CGR rod/Prestige reel/Prestige line, but I would caution that the Cabela's fly line does not get good reviews, so if you go that route, buy the rod, reel and line separately and get better line. Rio Mainstream is reasonably priced and decent line. Unfortunately, I've heard mixed reviews about the Cabela's warranty, too. Echo has one of the best warranties in the business, though, and the Base gets pretty good reviews. I wouldn't recommend their combo, though, as the rod is "resin" ... or plastic, as anyone other than the manufacturer would call it. I had an Encounter reel once that was similar "composite" material, and the frame would flex when you squeezed it. The Cabela's Wind River is a surprisingly decent reel for 30 bucks; I would consider it for the short term only, but it should serve until you are ready to upgrade. I had one at the same time that I had the Encounter reel, and the Wind River did not flex. I ended up returning the Encounter and upgrading to a Clearwater reel, and then sending that back as well. Orvis products are very good, but not at the entry level.

karstopo

Reaction score
The Encounter has a "limited" warranty against defects, but not the standard 25-year Orvis warranty. I'm not sure what that gets you, but it doesn't sound great. Cabela's does have a combo with CGR rod/Prestige reel/Prestige line, but I would caution that the Cabela's fly line does not get good reviews, so if you go that route, buy the rod, reel and line separately and get better line. Rio Mainstream is reasonably priced and decent line. Unfortunately, I've heard mixed reviews about the Cabela's warranty, too. Echo has one of the best warranties in the business, though, and the Base gets pretty good reviews. I wouldn't recommend their combo, though, as the rod is "resin" ... or plastic, as anyone other than the manufacturer would call it. I had an Encounter reel once that was similar "composite" material, and the frame would flex when you squeezed it. The Cabela's Wind River is a surprisingly decent reel for 30 bucks; I would consider it for the short term only, but it should serve until you are ready to upgrade. I had one at the same time that I had the Encounter reel, and the Wind River did not flex. I ended up returning the Encounter and upgrading to a Clearwater reel, and then sending that back as well. Orvis products are very good, but not at the entry level.
Yea, I’m not even advocating that he gets a CGR. I like them for a lot of the fishing I do, but the only one I have that’s ever been on a trout stream was my 4/5 weight 7’ model. I’m pretty helpless on a trout stream, but it was a fun rod wading in tight quarters of the Navajo and I managed to get a few trout to come out and play on small streamers.

There seems to be a lot more general purpose 5 weights out there than the CGR short noodle rods. Backcountry has several combos on clearance and other rods to check out from reddington, Echo, Fenwick and others. Maybe one of those would fit the bill.

mtbright

Reaction score
I recently got back into fly fishing and had similar issues. I got on a close out a sage vpx 4 wt and love it. I would look at closeouts from the stores you can get some great deals. I also wanted to pick my own parts and don’t think you save any on going with a combo except the joy of shopping for what you want.

Reels as said above you should be able to find a serviceable option in the lower price range. I started with a lamson linguistic. For trout a reel is just a glorified line holder. There is A lot of a positives reports about piscifun.

Now to be honest I have replaced my lamson with a sage click and a hatch four and have bought 3 rods in the last six months, sage vxp 4wt 9’, moonshine midnight special 5wt 9’ and sage salt 8wt 9’. The sages have been awesome and the salt has truly impressed me. I have also bought 5 reels, lamson liquid (will be for sale), sage click 3,4,5, hatch 4 and 7 and a maverick (which I returned).

Luckily my wife doesn’t say much and we are dink’s(double income no kids)
But you can put a much better combo together your self, and staying in your budget just shop and research and listen to guys here.

It does get addicting, for some reason I think I a 6 wt or maybe a 3 wt, maybe both. Lol

Matt

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Yea, I’m not even advocating that he gets a CGR. I like them for a lot of the fishing I do, but the only one I have that’s ever been on a trout stream was my 4/5 weight 7’ model. I’m pretty helpless on a trout stream, but it was a fun rod wading in tight quarters of the Navajo and I managed to get a few trout to come out and play on small streamers.

There seems to be a lot more general purpose 5 weights out there than the CGR short noodle rods. Backcountry has several combos on clearance and other rods to check out from reddington, Echo, Fenwick and others. Maybe one of those would fit the bill.
Guess I should clarify as well since I too mentioned the CGR. I love mine and will be using it ten years from now if I can. A general purpose rod it is NOT and I would never recommend it as a first rod unless the conditions were quite specific to it's strengths, which are nichey, (is that a word) :)

And warranty discussions for a rod in the $50-100 range don't carry much weight with me. By the time you pay shipping and most of the manufacturers handling fees you better love the entry level rod if you return it for service, which isn't all that likely if you progress and take the sport more seriously as most of us do/did. Last time I checked the Echo Base I mentioned happens to have an incredible warranty for it's price, but it still wouldn't make my decision for me in this case.

And the Cabela's Wind River is a great idea for a starter reel if on sale. I owned about five of them early on. Still have a couple for pan fishing. More than adequate for small stream trout as well though I moved on. They store line like a champion and have a serviceable drag for light to moderate use.

And to the OP, a more specific idea of your initial fishing intentions would be helpful for more informed recomendations.

pnc

Reaction score
Getting funny look to forum. Not sure if I posted in thread. See budget mentioned.
Keeping in budget. Piscifun reel under fifty (with drag). And TFO rod, hundred to one fifty range. Better than any combo from fly fishing dept stores. Reels might be even less. Were on sale last week on Amazon.

......... pc

brownbass

Reaction score
The Wooley Bugger Fly Company has some great buys on some Redington Classic Fly Rod Outfits in 5 weight. $169.95, Includes the rod, a Path reel, and a RIO Mainstrem line. It says they have 1 left in stock. The Rod is a known product 4 piece with tube. I am not familiar with the reel or line though I believe they would work for a start. They also have the Classic rod alone, and several other close out rods and reels.

spicymac

Reaction score
Awesome...this is exactly what I hoped I'd find here! Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm doing some more homework and am checking out everything that's been recommended.

Really appreciate it!
Andy

jspfishing

Reaction score
I'm a big fan with Redington products. I have everything from them and it hasn't let me down at all. I feel you get a lot of rod for the price. Plus, a lifetime warranty. Good customer service.

spicymac

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up getting a Cabela’s Prestige Plus reel and a TFO Pro Series II 9’ 5wt rod. Cabela’s is close so that makes it easy, plus they offer a military discount which I appreciate.

Haven’t decided on line, backing, etc but am SUPER happy with my decision. Both rod and reel have a lifetime warranty, which is just awesome.

Thanks again!

bluechipfish

Reaction score
My thoughts, even though you already bought. If someone is going to piece together their own setup i can't say enough about the Piscifun reels on amazon. I have the 3/4wt and 7/8wt reels, and have caught plenty of fish on them without a hiccup, in saltwater. We'll see how they last over time but I suspect with a good freshwater rinse, it should be a while. Reels can be had $50 or so.

I'm also tempted to recommend their rods, as the 3/4 I have is really nice. I use it all the time for small snook, and it performs well, isn't ugly, and is pretty high quality. I caught a 20lb Tarpon on it as well.. and that rod actually whooped its a$$! I did order a 9wt rod from them, and it wasn't very good. Felt like a broomstick, and the reel seat was loose from the factory. I returned it for full refund.. which leads me to the amazon thing. If you're going to buy a big $ rod, go to the flyshop and cast a bunch and patronize your local shop. If you're trying to get in the game for the least money possible, amazon has some great rods. What makes this a preferable place of purchase if the return policy. I've had great luck with Prime orders, and return things no questions asked all the time if I end up not liking the performance. You could order a few rods and receive them within 2-3 days, then just keep the one you like.

I was in this position and ended up spending the most money I could on line and rod.

brownbass

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up getting a Cabela’s Prestige Plus reel and a TFO Pro Series II 9’ 5wt rod. Cabela’s is close so that makes it easy, plus they offer a military discount which I appreciate.

Haven’t decided on line, backing, etc but am SUPER happy with my decision. Both rod and reel have a lifetime warranty, which is just awesome.

Thanks again!
I feel you made a good choice. Enjoy it and get out and ude them. If you need help or information, you can come back here and get all the info and more that you need.

Bill