Fiberglass(?)

Pocono

Reaction score
I've been pleasantly surprised by the feel and performance of some fiberglass rods that I've been casting recently and wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.

Here's the genesis of this query. I've been fishing graphite for the past year and a half. I like the action on the rods (mostly fast action rods, with an occasional medium/fast) and probably wouldn't even have cast a fiberglass rod if I hadn't been looking for a rod to help someone else have an easier time of feeling the line during her cast. I posed this situation to the forum early this spring and one of the respondants suggested that I get a 7'6" Eagle Claw 5/6 wt. fiberglass rod; which, with it's slow action, would allow the other person to get a better feel for the loading and unloading of the rod and, at the same time, would slow down her casting rythm. Well, it did both, and very well, so that was a great suggestion.

However, having a $16.95 rod hanging around caused me to take notice of it myself. I figured, this has to be an inferior product and it probably won't cast worth a tinker's damn. I was wrong. This rod, fitted with a WF 6 wt. line, is a very reasonable casting tool. I have no problem getting casts of 60+ feet out of this rod; which is more than I need for fishing small streams; which, in general, are not more than 30 feet across at their widest point. And, in terms of feeling a fish take the fly, I think that the fiberglass rod is at least the equal of the graphite rod in this department. Casting accuracy, well that's where the $16.95 makes itself apparent with a lot of tip wobble, but you can compensate a lot for that simply by getting used to the rod.

I followed this experience up with a Diamondback Diamondglass 7'6" 3 wt., fitted with a shortened Rio WF 3 wt. line on a Sage 3100 reel and, again, the performance was much, much better than I expected.

Yes, the two rods are dramatically different, the Diamondglass being in the $300.00 category. But I've been surprised at how able both of these glass rods are at streamside, compared to their graphite equivalents.

Will I stop fishing graphite rods; never! There's just too much that's good about them. But, I do now often times find myself packing one of these two glass rods with me when I'm headed for sub-15" fish on a small freestone creek.

Anyone else out there with positive fishing experiences using glass rods?

ezamora

Reaction score
many are out there who have positive, nay, near-fanatical experiences with fiberglass rods. if you haven't found it yet, try this web site:
http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/

i have an unmarked brown 7 foot 2 piece fiberglass blank i have in my queue to wrap and started off with a daiwa gold 8 footer back in the 80s.

if you ever take up wrapping your own rods, lamiglas offers two distinct models of fiberglass blanks plus a third which is a hybrid graphite/fiberglass mix. as you know diamondback offered a lineup, now discontinued i think. today, steffen bros, tl johnson and mcfarland offer blanks and full rods, plus you can find the vintage stuff which includes browning, garcia, fenwick, etc on a popular internet auction site. all fish wonderfully from what everyone who loves these say.

eric
fresno, ca.

mhclayton

Reaction score
That does it, I'm getting my 35 year old Fenwick glass 5 weight out of the closet and see what it can do. I was browsing the Scott website recently trying to talk myself into buying a G2--- I did, and it is SWEET, but that is another story, and saw that they are offering a fiberglass series-- they claim that they are just the thing for close-in fishing of pocket water, which is basically what I enjoy the most.

Joni

Reaction score
I am a Glass NUT! I have a 5'3" Fenwick 5 wt., a 7' 4wt Lamiglass, a 7 1/2' 3/4 wt. Steffen, an 8' 5 wt. Lamiglass, and an 8' 6wt. McFarland, oh yeah and the 7' Eagle Claw.

I am thinking Diamond Glass is a "S" as is Steffen Brothers. A little faster glass. McFarland and Lamiglass are "E" a little slower.

And most recently, a friend is letting me use his 9' Hardy custom with fighting butt 6wt. That is what I have been using on the Carp. Love that rod!

sesro1978

Reaction score
I am a Glass NUT! I have a 5'3" Fenwick 5 wt., a 7' 4wt Lamiglass, a 7 1/2' 3/4 wt. Steffen, an 8' 5 wt. Lamiglass, and an 8' 6wt. McFarland, oh yeah and the 7' Eagle Claw.

I am thinking Diamond Glass is a "S" as is Steffen Brothers. A little faster glass. McFarland and Lamiglass are "E" a little slower.

And most recently, a friend is letting me use his 9' Hardy custom with fighting butt 6wt. That is what I have been using on the Carp. Love that rod!
Hi Joni-

What do you think of your Lami 8', 5-wt? Is it 2 or 3 pieces?

Thanks,
Seth

Joni

Reaction score
Three piece and VERY SMOOTH. Perfect dry fly rod, but I do nymph with it.

sesro1978

Reaction score
Three piece and VERY SMOOTH. Perfect dry fly rod, but I do nymph with it.
Nice; I think I've got a line on a Diamondglass 8', 5-wt (which seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth) but if that falls through I'm thinking of having an 8', 5-wt. Lami built...

Thanks!

Joni

Reaction score
Nice; I think I've got a line on a Diamondglass 8', 5-wt (which seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth) but if that falls through I'm thinking of having an 8', 5-wt. Lami built...

Thanks!
The way I understand it and feel, the Diamond Glass is more an "S" glass like Steffen Bros. It will be faster. The Lami is "E" like McFarland. A slower action.
But if you can score a DG that is a good thing.

sesro1978

Reaction score
The way I understand it and feel, the Diamond Glass is more an "S" glass like Steffen Bros. It will be faster. The Lami is "E" like McFarland. A slower action.
But if you can score a DG that is a good thing.
That's my understanding too- I've heard the 8', 5-wt DG is pretty smooth though. I haven't cast one but I have some good info. from a trusted source. I think the fiberglass rods are becoming a coveted item out there. I've been scouring the internet and essentially the Earth for on of these...now I'm nervously awaiting a reply to an email...wish me luck :)

~Seth

mojo

Reaction score
That's my understanding too- I've heard the 8', 5-wt DG is pretty smooth though. I haven't cast one but I have some good info. from a trusted source. I think the fiberglass rods are becoming a coveted item out there. I've been scouring the internet and essentially the Earth for on of these...now I'm nervously awaiting a reply to an email...wish me luck :)

~Seth
Good luck on the Diamond Glass. If you don't get it, think about a McFarland or Steffan Brothers. I prefer the Mc Farland over the Steffan Bros. Steffan over the DG. Funny thing is I like the honey Lamiglass almost as much as the McFarland glass. Maybe because they're so slow and smooth.
Now there's other glass rod makers and builders too. T.L. Johnson has new glass rods out, Sweetgrass has Sam Druckman building glass rods for them. A little high priced for the blanks they use IMO.
If you have your heart set on a DG and don't get it, I would look at Steffan Bros if you like faster glass. Like Joni said DG and Steffan are S-glass (faster) and McFarland and Lamiglas are E-glass.
Now rumor has it, Reddington is going to come out with a glass rod or series of rods later this year.
Once you get one, you'll find you'll need another. Then another. etc. etc.

Pocono

Reaction score

~Seth
A funny thing happened to me on Wednesday night. After fishing smallmouths for the past week or so on Sage's new Smallmouth rod (fantastic rod with the line that they provide), I decided to head out to my favorite local trout stream (Mud Run), to see if there were still any hungry trout in the 66 degree water. I reached for my favorite rod; a 9' 5 wt. Sage Z-axis, but as I reached for it, my hand kept travelling past it until it came to rest on my 7'6" Diamondglass 3 wt. I pulled it out of the rack, collapsed it down so that it would fit in the car and, just for safety, I went back to the rack and pulled out the Z-axis, collapsed it too, and put it next to the DG on the back seat.

When I got to the stream, I pulled out the DG, tied on an orange-bodied parachute sulfur (#14) and started to cast to the far side of the stream. Nice feel. Good distance (45-50') / really good accuracy. Nice fish! And another..... .and another. I went to one of my favorite wet flies (#14). Again, nice fish! On to a chernobyl ant (#10) - still casting well; a little more challenging on the back cast. But...another fish! On still further to a hopper (also #10). Getting more challenging on the back cast; a couple of tangles on the tall weeds behind me. But.... another couple of fish! Finally towards the end of the night, the Dobson flies were starting to come off - big flies! I tied on a Dobson imitation tied by my local fly shop (#6) and that's where the DG stopped working for me (others may still be able to cast it well wth that fly, but it's beyond me at this point). I headed back to the car to get I affectionately call "the cannon" (the Z-axis), but paused, cut the Dobson imitation off, tied on the #14 sulfur again and headed back down with the DG - and landed one more fish - in the dark!

Yes, I do know that a 3 wt. isn't made for chucking hoppers and certainly isn't made for casting anything the size of the Dobson imitation, but I wanted to test the limits of the rod; and at the same time to test my own limits casting the rod. For what it's designed for, the DG 7'6" 3 wt. is the best rod in its category that I own. I really like that rod. Glass can get you hooked!