Cabelas New Fly Fishing Catalog,

brownbass

Reaction score
Cabelas new catalog arrived in the mail today. Inside they have some new rods, the Rogue, Vector, and Synch. Freshwater and saltwater rods. Kind of surprised and a little bummed to see G. Loomis NRX and NRX LP rods in the catalog. Kind of takes the fun out of having a rod you had to get from a fly shop. Now the mystique will disappear. Some Sage rods though no X or SaltHD. They also now carry Clutch, and Loop. Along with TFO, Redington, Echo, and St.Croix.

Bill

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Since Bass Pro bought Cabela's, they said they were going to change some things. Fly rods being the number one thing in their fly fishing dept.

They don't sell my fly line anymore either.

brownbass

Reaction score
Since Bass Pro bought Cabela's, they said they were going to change some things. Fly rods being the number one thing in their fly fishing dept.

They don't sell my fly line anymore either.
I will have to visit the Cabelas and the Bass Pro and see what changes they make. The BP was starting to carry some better rods and their tying supplies were pretty well stocked. Cabelas would have to make a bigger change since it seems they dropped some of their rods. Their tying selections were a little wanting.

Bill

isaiah20

Reaction score
I have felt the fly fishing section in general has been lacking. Also weirdly the Owatonna Mn store had less trout gear than the Rogers Mn store. Despite the Rogers store being 1.5 hours further away from the Driftless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownbass

Reaction score
I have felt the fly fishing section in general has been lacking. Also weirdly the Owatonna Mn store had less trout gear than the Rogers Mn store. Despite the Rogers store being 1.5 hours further away from the Driftless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That may be the problem Cabelas has to overcome. I am outside of St. Louis. The Trout fishing capital of the world. We have two great Fly Shops and both BP and Cabelas that carry decent equipment. I shop all of them at times (they know me when I walk in the door) and I will not complain about any of them. I do prefer the fly shops as they usually have what I am looking for.

Bill

littledavid123

Reaction score
If Cabelas and BP would pay enough to attract knowledgeable sales reps their business's would grow. As it stands they are big box stores and it's buyer beware when buying anything without spending hours on the computer reading reviews. Yes, sometimes they get lucky and have such a person on board and they immediately stand out from the norm. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often enough.

Dave

jspfishing

Reaction score
If Cabelas and BP would pay enough to attract knowledgeable sales reps their business's would grow. As it stands they are big box stores and it's buyer beware when buying anything without spending hours on the computer reading reviews. Yes, sometimes they get lucky and have such a person on board and they immediately stand out from the norm. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often enough.

Dave
I asked and they told me they weren't sure, but said they will never get anything in my location. We both concluded its a lack of demand in my area. Literally a few minutes away from the James River full of all sorts of fish. I guess people are more trout crazy by me and thats approximately 2 hours away. So I'm sure they have a great selection closer to trout waters.

scotty macfly

Reaction score

Dave
David speaks the truth.

My neighbor worked in the fishing area at our Cabela's, and at times I'd see him trying to help a customer, and I just walk away shaking my head. He was 22 years old, and even though he liked to fish, he had never picked up a fly rod for himself and gone fishing. As for him trying to help the customer, who obviously was new to the sport himself, it was definitely the blind leading the blind. Good kid, tried hard, and everyone needs a job, but Cabela's needs ( as with BP ) to train their employees.

This is where a fly shop shines. The employees get to go out and try the products they sell, so they do gain knowledge of the products to help the customers. These people know what they are talking about, because they just don't work in a shop, they fish to help their guide services as well.

jayr

Reaction score
Cabelas sells fly fishing equipment??? The one local to me doesn't anything. Breaks my heart.

Short Pump?

If so, you are dead on. I have been to several Cabela's stores and this one by far has the least amount of fly fishing equipment I have ever seen, both fresh and salt.

ts47

Reaction score
If you check the Cabelas website, you'll notice that they only carry "some" of the sizes for each version of fly rod. Anything out of the ordinary may still push folks toward fly shops. At least I hope it does.

brownbass

Reaction score
While out I went to the BP just to check it out and see if there have been any changes. The fly tying section is a little smaller and and things like dubbing have been reduced to the dispenser sets. A few superfine and awesome possums. I of coarse was looking for rabit and they had only the dispenser which I thought overpriced. The name brand rods were the Sage Foundation, the Hardy Shadow and the St. Croix Imperial. I didn't spend much time there since they didn't have what I wanted. I would much rather spend my money at Feather-Craft or Hargrove's

mizuno

Reaction score
Since the acquisition by BP, Cabelas has dropped a large number of items related to fly fishing. Although not all items were available in stores they were listed in their catalog and could be order and shipped for free to the local store for pickup. Items that were previously available included a wide selection of tying vises, good selection of Sage rods and Simms waders and boots. For example they no longer carry Dina-King vises, higher end Sage rods and the only Simm wading boots they have listed on their website appear to be left-over stock in sizes 10 or smaller. It wouldn't be such an annoyance except I have a number of Cabela's gift cards that normally I would use to fund my fly fishing purchases but now they no longer carry items I want. Their loss is my local fly shop's gain.

denver1911

Reaction score
I used to love to get those Cabelas fly fishing catalogs. The nearest fly shop was a 45 minute drive and they were a not very well stocked Orvis retailer. Orvis only. When the new year's Cabelas fly fishing catalog came out, it was fantastic. The internet has changed all that. I unsubscribed from the print versions of their catalogs five or so years back and now, just go online for whatever I want.

stormsearch

Reaction score
I have 3 Cabelas and a BassPro store within 90 minutes of me. A new Cabelas just went up last year and went shortly after they opened. I was looking at some flies and a lady come over. I was looking for larger streamers for Atlantics. She just came back from the same area, sent me photos of flies that worked and then called her friend who was still fishing the area. Great experience. The main guy who heads up the fly section at BassPro is pretty good also. BassPro here seems better at fishing and Cabelas at hunting.

When I was growing up, the best place to go is now geared towards Walleye fishing, which I can't blame them. Had a shop within 7 miles of me which I won't do business with again. Local stores definitely have a leg up on conditions and latest hatches.

So far, I've seen the union has been great. When I was at the Cabela's store, bought a fly reel using BassPro store credit. I don't have the same luck all the time and find if you go during the week daytime, the folks tend to more knowledgeable.

The Orvis store by me is more about clothing though do have good selection of fly equipment. Unfortunately, my last visit there wasn't all that pleasant. As I was buying my flies, they moved me off to the side where there was no counter so a gentleman could buy his collection of vest sweaters and other clothing. Nice guy and folks operating, but handing my change in the middle of women's clothing racks.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Short Pump?

If so, you are dead on. I have been to several Cabela's stores and this one by far has the least amount of fly fishing equipment I have ever seen, both fresh and salt.
Yea haha!! I live right by it. They told me they will never have fly fishing stuff besides tippet and leaders

jayr

Reaction score
Yea haha!! I live right by it. They told me they will never have fly fishing stuff besides tippet and leaders
At least at the other stores I have been to, they have some reels and rods and other accessories, but not in Short Pump! It really kind of surprised me due to the fact that the James is close by as is the Bay. One would think they would have at least a basic fly fishing section.......

mtboiler

Reaction score
So, I love getting catalogs, but, I refuse to buy from BP or CA. Why? I support my locals. And honestly, even when traveling, I can get the same prices or close to for what I need. My local fly shop is cheaper than Cab, which is down the street. I just wish more people would support their local fly shops because while they might charge 10% more, the knowledge and info is worth it.
Just my opinion...and I mean no disrespect to those that go to BP or Cab.

jspfishing

Reaction score
At least at the other stores I have been to, they have some reels and rods and other accessories, but not in Short Pump! It really kind of surprised me due to the fact that the James is close by as is the Bay. One would think they would have at least a basic fly fishing section.......
They had a few rods and actually one that I might want to purchase (TFO BVK). I asked if I could Test cast it and they had no reels or line available. Green top and BP have a good amount of stuff; however, I like mossy creek fly shop and south river fly shop. 2 hours away though, but it’s almlst worth it. So I try to stop buy and pick some stuff after a day of fishing.

myt1

Reaction score
So, I love getting catalogs, but, I refuse to buy from BP or CA. Why? I support my locals. And honestly, even when traveling, I can get the same prices or close to for what I need. My local fly shop is cheaper than Cab, which is down the street. I just wish more people would support their local fly shops because while they might charge 10% more, the knowledge and info is worth it.
Just my opinion...and I mean no disrespect to those that go to BP or Cab.
I agree 100%.

The problem I have however is that there aren't any local fly shops in Phoenix; it just isn't a fly fishing hot bed.

The one local shop that I'm aware of is an over-priced Orvis want-to-be catering to the Scottsdale elite.

I buy most of my stuff on the internet and I always shop the one-off shops before looking at Cabela's or BP.

Usually I pay for my stuff with a Cabela's credit card however; the 2% cash rebate, in the form of a Cabela's gift certificate, is hard to pass up and it adds up pretty quickly.