Medium Fast, Mid-Priced?

camren

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m curious to see what everyone is fishing and enjoying that fall into a medium fast and mid priced category? Specifically in 5wt.

It seems most of the mid priced rods tend to be fast or better suited to casting long distances.

Thanks,
Cam

jr spey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m curious to see what everyone is fishing and enjoying that fall into a medium fast and mid priced category? Specifically in 5wt.

It seems most of the mid priced rods tend to be fast or better suited to casting long distances.

Thanks,
Cam
I'd start by looking at the TFO Pro II and Finesse. Actually, mid-priced rods are usually not as fast as the premium priced rods from the same manufacturer. There are exceptions, of course, but rods like the Sage Mod are mid-priced (for Sage) and not as fast as the premium priced X or the Method.

coolkyle

Reaction score
I'd start by looking at the TFO Pro II and Finesse. Actually, mid-priced rods are usually not as fast as the premium priced rods from the same manufacturer. There are exceptions, of course, but rods like the Sage Mod are mid-priced (for Sage) and not as fast as the premium priced X or the Method.
Mod is actually a premium rod with Konnetic technology. The closeout Accel rods are a good deal.

jr spey

Reaction score
Mod is actually a premium rod with Konnetic technology. The closeout Accel rods are a good deal.
My bad. Accel is what I meant. I should have picked a rod series I'm more familiar with to do the analogy. I chose Sage as most everyone is familiar with them. Evidently, more so than I am!

mike_r

Reaction score
Accel for around $300 now is a bargain. Very snappy sage action that is forgiving yet will develop the line speed you need for most trout river scenarios with a good little haul. The Orvis Recon in the 9’ 5wt I would consider med-fast. Lighter in weight than the Sage but similar casting nature. I owned one of each but sold them to fund other purchases. I now fish a Radian in the 9’ 5 but it is a much faster rod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoke33

Reaction score
It amazes me that a $300 fly rod is considered mid-priced. I am a life long spinning and bait caster and have never spent over $120 for one of my rods. Most have been under. Crazy!

deceiverbob

Reaction score
St. Croix Avid series is one to consider. They call the action "moderate". There may still be some Sage VXP rods around also. They preceded the Accel models.

jr spey

Reaction score
It amazes me that a $300 fly rod is considered mid-priced. I am a life long spinning and bait caster and have never spent over $120 for one of my rods. Most have been under. Crazy!

Well, I own six spinning rods that I use consistently on smallies and other fish. Each one cost $440.00. I also know a bunch of fly fishermen who've never spent more than $120.00 on a fly rod. In general fly rods cost more as there is a much smaller market place involved and the fact that in most cases more effort is put into cosmetics and things like a rod tube. Also, margins tend to be higher for flyshops than general fishing stores, again primarily due to volume.

smoke33

Reaction score
Well, I own six spinning rods that I use consistently on smallies and other fish. Each one cost $440.00. I also know a bunch of fly fishermen who've never spent more than $120.00 on a fly rod. In general fly rods cost more as there is a much smaller market place involved and the fact that in most cases more effort is put into cosmetics and things like a rod tube. Also, margins tend to be higher for flyshops than general fishing stores, again primarily due to volume.
I get it, but still overpriced. Personally, I would never pay $440 for a spinning rod, to each his own.

dreihl9896

Reaction score
I would agree with the others that the Accel would be the way to go if you can still find one of the closeouts. I grabbed an 8'6" #5 last spring before they really went on sale, and outside of wishing I had waited a couple of months, I really like it. In my mind, that rod fits the exact definition of medium fast and there is usually no better value on the market than whatever models Sage is kicking to the curb. Other rods in the mid priced category that would intrigue me if I was in the market for a new stick would include the already mentioned Orvis Recon (though I'm not sure how fast it is), the Scott Flex (also listed as fast), and the Orvis Superfine Carbon (though that may be slower than you want). One thing to note though is that the speed ratings that are listed can be quite subjective, and one company's fast may be another company's medium fast. Another good point that was mentioned earlier is that you might want to clarify a ballpark range that you think of as being mid priced.

jr spey

Reaction score
I get it, but still overpriced. Personally, I would never pay $440 for a spinning rod, to each his own.

I get it. I'd never spend $70,00 on a Mercedes to do what my Subaru can do. Since my $440.00 spinning rods are made by Edge and they are being sold out at a significant discount as we speak, you may soon hear a lot about how incredibly sensitive they are. I sold some damn nice spinning rods after having a chance to fish an Edge Finesse. There is nothing else like it, so I bit the bullet and spent the money. I've spent a lot more while getting a lot less in return.

brownbass

Reaction score
I bought an Accel the day they went on sale. I fished it twice and sold it. I just didn't like it. I was disappointed in the action and accuracy. I sold it and My Allen Volant and bought a Loomis NRX LP. I cast a lot of rods before making that decision and one really stood out to me. the Douglas DXF. I liked the Orvis Recon as well but it is in the upper part of the Mid-price category according to Yellowstone Anglers. I have the Douglas DHF in a six weight and it is pretty nice. I bought it for Smallmouth and throwing bigger flies and streamers. The DXF was nicer, better hardware and feel. Since no one else mentioned it The Mystic reaper is on sale, two for one until the end of the month. I didn't get a chance to try it but the Loop Opti Stream goes for about the same price as the Recon and The Yellowstone Angler really liked it.

pnc

Reaction score
A number of times I have wanted a mid flex rod for other people. After parading around trying out rods. Everyone I've done this with has decided on and purchased same rod. And playing with all the rods right along with them. Had me purchase a couple of blanks to build for a friend. He had one, loved the action. Now has 3 different weights. TFO's, Pro series.
Each of the people I've done this with came to the same conclusion. And all three did the same thing. Almost, each had 3 or 4 hundred burning a hole in their pocket. Ready to drop on a new rod. They all went home with new rods & reels. Different reel each time. Each felt they would only be paying for looks and looks only spending 2 or 3 times as much. I had to agree.
As far as my friend goes. Realize his rantings of praise are that of a nut. State thinks so & so do I. He doesn't like any of my rods..... screwball. Maybe this will get him to register if he's looking in again.

......... pc

proheli

Reaction score
I wonder what an Orvis Superfine Carbon would cast like in a 5wt. With a true weight line. If it had the butt to give you the distance you need it migh be a easily looked over honey pot. Nothing wrong with a little double hauling to reach the long ones.

PS Helios 2’s are on sale for 475, maybe less.

jr spey

Reaction score
I'm still trying to understand why people seem to thing all the fish are 60 feet away.
I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Certainly not all fish, or even most fish, are 60' away. But some are and it's nice to be prepared for them. Even trout fishing. When I fish the Missouri River during the trico hatch, my guide is thrilled that both my fishing partner and I can do 50-60' consistently with a 4 weight as it allows him to keep the anchored driftboat farther away from the fish to avoid spooking them. It's not that we don't muff a cast, but we don't do so very often.