Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: My new Toy!

Default My new Toy!

Hey All,

I picked up a Sage ZXL 490-4 last weekend while on the San Juan from a local shop that was getting rid of all his Sage stuff (huh?). Because of having a rod stolen last month, he upped the discount to 35% and I got the rod for around 250 off retail! I got a new Lamson Lightspeed 1.5 reel from flyshopcloseouts.com for a little less than 200, so everything ready to go was WAY less than normal retail. Lined it up when I got home from work this afternoon and hit the back yard. Oh my golly gee was all I could think LOL. The whole setup weighs something like 7 ounces or so and it casts like a dream. It's a really laid back rod and suits my "old man" casting style to a "T". My son and I will be going back to the Juan sometime early this week (last weekend was an absolute ZOO), and we'll be posting what will hopefully great news. Here's a pic of my new toy:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: My new Toy!

congratulations! you can find good deals many times if you know when and where to look. and sometimes, it's just meant to be...

eric
    fresno, ca.

Hi Phil,

Dang, you did good!

You must be healing fast. When will you be back behind the oars? Are you wade fishing now?

Frank

Hi Frank!

Believe it or not, I don't even have a surgery consult until this coming Friday. At this rate, I'll probably have the cutting done around Christmas . From what I've read and friends are saying, I should be up and around within a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get behind the oars as soon as I can.

In the meantime, I'm just taking it easy on myself and doing whatever fishing my son and I are able to do. He's lived with his Mom for several years and we've got a ton of catching up to do! It sure is great having him around. All said and done, I saved right at $350 on my latest set up. I'm a sucker for a deal . I also got James a 5 wt Sage Launch the same day and he'll be using it Tuesday as well when we head back to the San Juan. It sure is cool living within 3 hours of such a nice place. It really is special.

Thanks for checking in on me!

Phil

Blog Entries

Phil

Congrats on bagging that great setup.......I'm envious!
    Post some pics of the San Juan, I haven't been down there for a couple years and sure miss that fishing!

Larry

6. Default Re: My new Toy!

Phil,

Very nice!! I wish I would have gotten mine for that kind of $$. I got mine back in November/December and love it. It is the 8'6" 3wt. with a Tibor Light Spring Creek CL loaded with DT Rio Selective Trout. By far my favorite outfit regardless of the weight.

Nathan
    Attached Images Attached Images