Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Winston LT 8 9 3wt line recommendation?

i just picked up a new to me Winston LT 8 9 5 piece 3wt and am now looking for what line i should get for it? i will be mostly fishing small streams with it. i'm thinking Rio Gold or i'm even toying with the idea of getting RIO InTouch Single Hand Spey???
    what are your thoughts? what line would you recommend???
    Thanks

Default Re: Winston LT 8 9 3wt line recommendation?

Hi, congrats for the rod. That's a beautifull green stick.

The 5 pieces Lt is faster than my Wt, more stiffer but with a softer tip.

I'm curious about how will preform with the single Hand spey from Rio, in theory maybe a little bit clunky. But the purpose behind the line is interesting.

from Rio website:

"The rear weight distribution loads a rod deeply in the tightest of quarters, allowing anglers to make long, effortless casts with obstacles close behind."

You can use a WF line like the Mastery, from Sci, the Gold, or even a heavier line like the Grand.

Regards

Jofer

I have the 8'3 4wt LT and the 8'9 5wt- I have always like the Wulff triangle taper with these rods- or the Rio version of this taper (trout LT). I've always deemed these "touch" rods, rather than ones you throw. As in, you can touch the fly to a target, more than "Chuck it out there". Those long, diminishing tapers lend themselves to this. That single handed spey may be similar- I have not had a chance to try one. I do not think of roll casting of any sort when I think of these rods- I think of those gentle dry fly deliveries without disturbance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Likes brownbass liked this post

I have the 8’9” 3wt and have been using an airflo presentation taper line for a few years. I have used it to do some wet fly and nymph fishing and it has worked well. But as Osseous says it really is an awesome dry fly rod. Rio gold should work well for the rod too.

6. Default Re: Winston LT 8 9 3wt line recommendation?

I have the LT 8’9” 3wt. I have fished it withe rio gold WF3 and liked it very much. I have also tried a true to weight WF4, but felt like it overpowered the tip, and I had tailing loops. I really love this rod.

7. Default Re: Winston LT 8’ 9” 3wt line recommendation?

thanks for all the info! i fishing it yesterday with a old 4wt double taper line i had lying around. i really am liking this rod but not liking that line? the only reason i was thinking about getting the Rio single hand spey was because of this

with a statement like the BEST WF LINE RIO HAS EVER MADE!!! that's a big statement !!!!

for those that replied that have this rod what reel are you using?

thanks

8. Default Re: Winston LT 8’ 9” 3wt line recommendation?

I am using the new pflueger medalist 3/4, and it balances about one finger width below(toward the reel seat) the end of the cork with 20 ft of line out. That is the balance point I prefer. Mine has the downlocking reel seat. It is a great reel for the money. The click mechanism is identical to the hardy lightweight.

Rio Gold is a true AFTMA weight line I believe- their Grand is heavier by a full line size.

I've been using an Ari Hart Gallatin on mine for several years- they seem made for each other. I have a new Ross Colorado click/pall that will get some time on it this summer as well.

10. Default Re: Winston LT 8’ 9” 3wt line recommendation?

image.jpg

I like the old school look.

11. Likes jofer liked this post

I like the color scheme on that Rio spey- Simon might have a slight (?) bias toward their lines?....but it sure sounds nice. It's not far off of a triangle taper or their own LT- give it a Go! I just might do the same!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast