Not good, right?

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
I just purchased the Edge 8wght from TFO on their closeout and was able to use it on a work to trip to Florida earlier this week. Tonight I was going over my gear, cleaning and inspecting and noticed that the section that connects to the handle section had little tiny cracks running around the end of the section; shown on the pictures below. It seems to be a little more than just superficial, as you are able to see the cracks from the inside as well...

I have literally used this rod for about 3hrs, I never seen this on any of other rods...

Wanted to get opinions before I contact Edge...

:confused:

pnc

Reaction score
From what I can make out in pics. Cracking as you say is in coating over end of ferrule & seen inside. If none is seen on outside of rod near wrapping.This may be just a cosmetic problem.

....... pc

JoJer

Reaction score
If it's broke, it's broke. No such thing as "a little bit broke". It'll need to be replaced, not repaired. String it up, cast it, see what happens.

el jefe

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the pictures (not a picture quality problem--those are good) if it is a crack, or just the edge of the graphite sheet as it was wrapped over the mandrel. That looks like an unpainted blank, which would make those edges easier to see.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I dont see cracks either. Some manufacturing grooves, and looks like scratches from joining the two sections, but I'm not seeing cracks.
But holy smokes TFO, I do see one of the worse epoxy jobs I've seen in a while!

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

jr spey

Reaction score
I dont see cracks either. Some manufacturing grooves, and looks like scratches from joining the two sections, but I'm not seeing cracks.
But holy smokes TFO, I do see one of the worse epoxy jobs I've seen in a while!

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Except TFO doesn't make the rods. It only distributes them, or used to anyway.

el jefe

Reaction score
Another thought...if those are cracks, and you have assembled the rod and lawn cast, did you hear any clicking sounds? A click sound will often accompany a cracked ferrule. Of course, if you go out right now and try it, and those are cracks, you might break that section.