How do you travel with a 3 piece 8'6'?

cerec_cat

Reaction score
I have the longer fishpond that they fit into. Last time I traveled, I had to check it. The security people opened it and put that card in it. I know they have to check and everything, but it made me very nervous. I am planning a trip to Casper, and am considering maybe shipping it, or simply leaving the 3 piece at home. What do you guys do?

mikechell

Reaction score
If you can afford it ... buy a four piece. I travel a lot, and can fit my fly rod into my checked luggage. The only time I don't take it with me is when it's too cold, and then I take my fly tying stuff.

If you're worried about it, because it's an expensive rod, then buy a less expensive, 4 piece "travel rod" that you don't have to worry about but can still enjoy fishing.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I carry all on board, even my 7' 9" two piece. Goes right in the overhead and if I run into a snot of a stewardess I just have them check it. No worries

Dave

edreilly

Reaction score
I have gotten a nylon covered PVC rod tube from Clear Creek and carried it on as my “personal item.”

Because the tube is not metal, I have not had any issues with security.

On larger flights it goes in the overhead bin. In small flights I have either had it next to me in the seat, or a Stewardess has put it in the coat closet up front.

That being said, 4 piece rods are a lot easier to strap on the side of my carry on backpack. But I have some rods that I like enough to put up with the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gidva

Reaction score
Print this page and carry it with you: Fishing pole | Transportation Security Administration

(And if the TSA agent tries to trip you up on the semantics of a 'pole' versus a 'rod', don't fall for the trap!)

I have carried 5' spey rod tubes on board with no problem. The only real issue should be whether there is enough room in the overhead bins.
So If my rods have metal cases is a no correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

moucheur2003

Reaction score
So If my rods have metal cases is a no correct?

I had not heard before that metal cases are a problem. The TSA page doesn't mention rod tubes one way or the other, but it says that "fishing poles" are okay as long as they meet the airline's size limits. I would assume that means a case to protect them is okay too, but maybe someone else here has had more experience. I have often seen other passengers carry on their rod tubes, but to be honest I never paid attention whether they were metal ones.

edreilly

Reaction score
I have seen people in the airport with metal rod tubes but have worried that TSA might think they could be used as a weapon or have problems going through the x-Ray machine. So I invested in a couple PVC tubes for traveling, just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lake flyer

Reaction score
I have traveled with metal rod tubes with no problems with TSA security, it is a 8'6" three piece rod in a metal rod tube. Most of them just ask me where I am going fishing. Also no problems with the flight attendants, it has always fit into the overhead.

timd

Reaction score
I have a leather covered PVC tube that will carry 4 or 5, 3 piece rods up to 9’ long. I have taken it on board for over 20 years on my annual flights to Montana from Florida and never had a problem. The trip usually involves changing planes a couple of times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I always use a cordura covered PVC travel tube and carry my rods on as my "personal item", including 3-pc. rods. Like Moucheur wrote, its in the TSA rules that you should carry on valuable tackle. Abroad can vary and traveling to the Indian Ocean last fall I did pout my multi-rod PVC case in a longer than average wheeled duffle. However, I met some South Africans at the Nairobi Airport heading to the Seychelles and they carried on their Sages in their aluminum tubes.

Duffle and Travel Tube s.jpg

dillon

Reaction score
I always use a cordura covered PVC travel tube and carry my rods on as my "personal item", including 3-pc. rods. Like Moucheur wrote, its in the TSA rules that you should carry on valuable tackle. Abroad can vary and traveling to the Indian Ocean last fall I did pout my multi-rod PVC case in a longer than average wheeled duffle. However, I met some South Africans at the Nairobi Airport heading to the Seychelles and they carried on their Sages in their aluminum tubes.

View attachment 9830
FYI Your pm box is full :)

crc01

Reaction score
As others have said, Just carry it on. I have an 8'4" 3 piece that I carry on as my "personal item" no one has given it a second look.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Besides the 8 rod tube above, I have a few in different lengths and capacity to accommodate my needs. Cordura covered PVC with your rods inside in just their fabric sleeves is the safe and efficient way to travel with them on plane or car. From Jumbo Jet to Dehaviland Beaver, I've never had an issue.

T15 32 Travel Cases s.jpg

gidva

Reaction score
Besides the 8 rod tube above, I have a few in different lengths and capacity to accommodate my needs. Cordura covered PVC with your rods inside in just their fabric sleeves is the safe and efficient way to travel with them on plane or car. From Jumbo Jet to Dehaviland Beaver, I've never had an issue.

View attachment 9835
Can you travel with metal cases?

gidva

Reaction score
Can you travel with metal cases?

I have 2 scott fly rods with metal cases, wich both will stay in south america with my brother "the guide" they are both 4 pc. So it will ne fine to just tape them together and place them in my back pack sticking out right?. Ok trip is thursday so wish me luck. My tfo goes in the checked bag the Scott rods carry on.

bumble54

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't do what I did, before this recent madness, I bought a rod case for my 2 piece surf casting rods, it had the logo "BAZOOKA" emblazoned down the side, getting through airport security was fun, not.

MBWCC

Reaction score
I have the longer fishpond that they fit into. Last time I traveled, I had to check it.
The only time (place) I have had to check either a Fishpond or an Orvis fly rod case was a domestic Argentina airline. US carriers (most frequently United) have always allowed either fly rod case as my one carry-on bag.