what to do with high mileage sage VXP

callihan_44

Reaction score
I have a sage vxp that I purchased when it first hit the market and it has lots of fish to it's credit, the cork is worn and also the sections arent quite as tight as they once were. This rod has sentimental value as it was my first "higher end" rod purchase and has traveled thousands of miles. Are these rods worth repairing or is that even possible?

el jefe

Reaction score
What needs to be repaired? Sounds like it just needs 3 minutes of TLC.

Perhaps a little ferrule wax would help the loose sections. For the grip, after my grips get dirty and worn, I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean it up. If you do that, tape off the blank just above the grip, and the reel seat just below it, both for several inches. That Mr. Clean pad is slightly abrasive, and if you slip off the grip, you don't want to hit the reel seat spacer or the graphite. Super fine sandpaper also cleans up a grip, but I like the Mr. Clean option better, which doesn't create the dust like sandpaper does, and doesn't take off as much cork. In neither case will you take off enough cork to notice. Sixty seconds and you'll be good to go.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Loose ferrules can be treated with a light epoxy and I had a rod redone by a pro. I would assume one needs to know what he is doing but the ferrule fit was then perfect. Wax would work too but is not as permanent. Keep it until it falls apart, you will be one of the few who ever did so, still it will have a lot of memories of fun times.

spt2

Reaction score
I wonder if you can send an old, worn rod to Sage for a 'facelift', the way you can send a Bark River knife back to the factory for a 'spa treatment'?

Someone told me once (I don't know if it's true), on some Winston rods like the LT series, the way the ferrule design is, the ferrules will eventually wear out, thus requiring Winston to build a new rod, hence the high cost (you are buying two rods). Is there a point where the ferrules on a Sage fly rod just get worn out from repeated assembly/disassembly, and you need a new rod built?

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
I use ivory cake soap and a soft bristle tooth brush to clean the cork. I use ferrule wax on loose sections. I clean the ferrules before and after each use. You could call sage and see what they could do, but I doubt they would do much under warranty, as this is normal wear and tear. Are the sections coming loose during fishing? Have you cleaned the ferrules well?

dreihl9896

Reaction score
I wonder if you can send an old, worn rod to Sage for a 'facelift', the way you can send a Bark River knife back to the factory for a 'spa treatment'?

Someone told me once (I don't know if it's true), on some Winston rods like the LT series, the way the ferrule design is, the ferrules will eventually wear out, thus requiring Winston to build a new rod, hence the high cost (you are buying two rods). Is there a point where the ferrules on a Sage fly rod just get worn out from repeated assembly/disassembly, and you need a new rod built?
It wouldn't hurt to call Sage's customer service and ask. They might simply refurbish for a fee. I do know from recently submitting a repair, that their warranty service seems to have changed this year. Before, it seems like there was a standard flat warranty/shipping/handling charge for all warranty work, with unspecified charges being applied if inspection revealed that breakage was due to misuse or any other reason deemed outside or warranty. Now it seems as if you are simply charged for repairs based on the age of the rod. I believe repairs of current models cost $25, while the cost is $75 for models discontinued within the last 10 years, and $125 for rods that have been discontinued longer than 10 years. I believe the VXP would fall into the middle category.

pnc

Reaction score
I'm with the others. Clean that sucker up and use it. Clean in & out of ferrules then wax. Dirt often gets inside female ferrule. Prevevting secure fit.
I don't clean up handles any more for myself. I prefer Ritz style grips so change over takes place. Sandpaper and taking down of size is the only way to get clean cork on some. Whether changed or cleaned you might consider a urethane sealer for cork. Don't remember name off hand, Mud Hole sells a version.

........ pc

bumble54

Reaction score
If your a sentimentalist, hang it on the wall with pictures of the fish captured with the rod.
If your a heathen, use it till it breaks then bin it.
If your dirt poor, tart it up and extend it's life.
If your a tackle tart, put it in the cupboard and use one of the other dozen or so rods hiding in there.
If your a practical sort, stick it in the garden and grow beans up it.
If your unscrupulous, polish it and sell it to some beginner, "oh they're all like that".

brownbass

Reaction score
STP is selling them for $275 so there is your base price for whether it's better to fix or buy a new rod though I think I would look at newer models.

Bill

silver creek

Reaction score
I have a sage vxp that I purchased when it first hit the market and it has lots of fish to it's credit, the cork is worn and also the sections arent quite as tight as they once were. This rod has sentimental value as it was my first "higher end" rod purchase and has traveled thousands of miles. Are these rods worth repairing or is that even possible?
I am curious because I have never had ferrules "wear out". I use candle wax to keep them from slipping and rotating. Did you actually wax your ferrules or use some other method like "nose wax"?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Graphite rods do wear out. Repeated casting and fish fighting form micro fissures not in the carbon fiber but in the resin adhering them together. This makes the rod feel softer and less powerful than when younger. Nothing wrong with sentimentality, an old rod can embody many a fine memory...I have one hanging on my wall here in my home office with its reel and line still mounted on it ready to go (nowhere).

For the record, I take a well used rod into the shower with me once a year or more if salty. I wash it with soap paying special care around the guides and clean blood, sweat, tears, fish slime and sunscreen from the cork with SoftScrub.

My advice on your well loved rod? Retire it and treat yourself to a new Sage X.

el jefe

Reaction score

Spigot ferrules (a la the Winston LT, and many Scotts, including the new GS) can wear out, and the gap between the sections close. But as far as I know, the spigots can be replaced. Tip-over-butt ferrules will wear also, just like anything where there is friction from assembly and disassembly. That is where the wax comes in, which will temporarily fill up that gap, and provide a texture that sticks, to keep things from coming apart.

spt2

Reaction score
Sage charges $125 under warranty to repair rods discontinued more than 10 years? So, in other words, Sage does not have an unconditional lifetime warranty, what they have is a 10 year warranty, and after that, they give a slight discount to the regular repair fee for the original owner. Further incentive to simply buy used, as the 'unconditional lifetime warranty' is becoming more like an ordinary non-warranty repair fee. I better be extra-careful with my RPL+

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I sort of know a guy that bought Patagonia waders (at a discount outlet) 15 years ago and after a couple of years he got a leak (duh) and turned them in for new ones and on and on until Patagonia started pro rating their warranty (likely because of him and his ilk). I don't think a 10+ year old rod that is very well used owes you anything and its decline is not a warranty issue. $125 for what might essentially be a brand new rod is a bargain but I wouldn't do it. I would preserve its sentimental value which is irreplaceable and retire it and upgrade my kit by buying a brand new Sage. This unconditional warranty thing is out of hand and unfair. As I repeat all the time; I want an unconditional warranty on malt whisky, "See here liquor store person, I just bought this Glenfiddich two weeks ago, I have the receipt, now look at it, empty and no good. I want a refill or replacement".

As I wrote above, rods wear out...like shoes, cars or anything long and well used. It is not defective it is old. This is when we do a little research and buy a new and better one.

Old

T14 025 Medalist 1492 s.jpg

New

Ross evo-r-black-angled-foot-down.jpg

spt2

Reaction score
S&S, you make a fair point - I just wish they wouldn't call it an 'unconditional lifetime warranty' when it's not, they should call it something else. I love wearing stuff out, because it's an opportunity to upgrade.

Along those lines, Cabela's has a generous return policy, many here are familiar with it. Speaking with the manager of the 'Bargain Cave' in one of the Utah Cabela's, he indicated that many people will buy high-end optics, Swaroski, etc., binoculars or spotting scopes, for an upcoming hunt, use if for their hunt, then return to Cabela's. In other words, they get a free rental of top-shelf gear. Then the returned item has to be sold in the bargain cave. That has to increase costs for everyone else.....

itinerant

Reaction score
Like S&S said, the OP's rod is worn out, not defective. It would be unreasonable to expect Sage or any other manufacturer to recondition or replace a worn out product without cost to the owner. In my experience, consumers want to know if a product has a "lifetime" warranty but they aren't interested in the warranty details.

Regarding spigot ferrules wearing out, I sent my venerable Winston IM6 back to Winston last fall because the ferrule gap had closed to less than 1/16". Winston replaced the ferrule and the door-to-door time was 8 days. I happily paid the $75 fee.

To the OP, call Sage and find out what if anything they can do about the ferrules and then decide whether to recondition or retire/replace the rod.

Rick

duker

Reaction score
I've got a 8 weight Sage VXP that I just got repaired under warranty last fall--cracked it fighting a salmon in Alaska. I love that rod and have caught a lot of fish with it and want to keep being able to fish with it. I'd call Sage and ask what they can do for you--might be just as easy as a run-of-the-mill warranty repair. If they can't or won't repair it, I'd just fish it until it really does wear out then buy a new rod.

Scott

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I've got a 8 weight Sage VXP that I just got repaired under warranty last fall--cracked it fighting a salmon in Alaska. I love that rod and have caught a lot of fish with it and want to keep being able to fish with it. I'd call Sage and ask what they can do for you--might be just as easy as a run-of-the-mill warranty repair. If they can't or won't repair it, I'd just fish it until it really does wear out then buy a new rod.

Scott
Agreed. If you are still happy with your VXP and want to keep fishing it, it can't hurt to contact Sage by phone and see what they think. I love my 906 VXP and had it repaired by Sage last year. If you are looking for a reason to upgrade, then I also agree with S&S in the regard that you have a good reason to snag an X if you have the funds...