Stickman - P5 Amber

mudd foot

Reaction score
Is on its way to western PA! Please feel free to jump on the bandwagon with pics, reviews, and comments. Decided to take the plunge based on all of the favorable feedback here.

mudd foot

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Congratulations. I jut broke down and bought a Sage One of the same size. I was tempted by the Stickman for the same reasons you cited, but the combination of the clearance prices and the fact that I had never even seen a Stickman swayed me.

I grew up in the suburban Pittsburgh area so I probably know some of the waters you fish. Please report back here on how it fishes and your experiences with it.

Best wishes,

Don

eastfly66

Reaction score
The P5 is perhaps my favorite out of the litter for the majority of my trout fishing conditions. A unique rod that is a pleasure to fish. Congrats on your choice !

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I’m kind of curious what line you are going to use on your new rod. And are you planning on this being a do everything rod or more for dries or nymphs?

I’m guessing that you fish the larger PA streams such as the Yough, Penn’s Creek or others that size. Hope it is the perfect stick for your uses.

Don

akfred

Reaction score
Welcome to the Stickman family.....I have a T6 which quickly became my favorite 6 weight for freshwater use. I have never cast a P5 but suspect that you will find it pleasureable to fish.

mudd foot

Reaction score
Don,

SA Mastery Trout, MED, and Gold are already waiting for the P5 to arrive. Akos prefers Trout. Hard to argue with the rod's designer. My preference is dry-dropper with the dropper being a terrestrial; usually a tan bubble caddis in front of a black beetle. Will vary the dry and the dropper depending on conditions.

Bought the P5 as aI wanted something softer than my One 905 and NRX of same weight, but still with a firm tip. Based on multiple reviews, am thinking this rod fills the bill.

In terms of water fished, I'm fortunate to go twice a year to Spruce Creek on the Evergreen farms section. Have been going with the same group for several years now.

PK

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I’m a Penn State grad, but have only fished Sprice Creek once. Spent a lot more time on Spring Creek, Big Fishing Creek and Penn’s Creek. So long ago that my rod was a Fenwick glass.

I’m looking forward to hearing how that rod performs, particularly as compared to your other rods.

Thanks again.

Don

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Congratulations on you forthcoming P5. Though my limited experience is only with T8 and I have never seen P5, I bet it is great and eagerly await your impressions. And Sparse, congrats on your ONE#5 too, another great rod (I fish SA M EDT on mine and might test the same on P5).

I'm finally taking T8 fishing in a few weeks to the Bahamas and will report on my experiences upon my return.

Last edited:

dr d

Reaction score
congrats to your p5,

i`m owner of a p3 - the best all in one i know.

lot of fun and nice week.

thomas

mudd foot

Reaction score
THe P5 arrived here despite the 7" snow storm we experienced. Had a chance to make some casts today with a Wulff Triangle Taper also in 5W. This is my practice line for two reasons: the back transition is abrupt into the running line which leads to collapses if I'm not smooth. So it forces me to focus. Secondly, it's in Neon Orange so it easy to see during practice. Very easy to see casting faults.

The rod is beautiful! While I'm a function-over-form in the area of fly rods, but, I really like the industrial matte blank, with the Amber wraps. Great cork, but the Zebra wood space really sets this stick apart. Beautiful!

In terms of casting, it's wonderfully hard to describe, as my primary impression is that of it being the smoothest graphite rod I can remember casting. By smooth I intend to mean the action of the taper has no hot or flat spots in it anywhere. It feels seamless. It has a firm tip like a Sage ONE, but I can tell where the Sage is bending/flexing. This isn't a bad thing, just a point of differentiation with the P5.

Akos has the Common Cents specs posted on his website. They don't reveal the power in the lower taper. There's tons of it. Had no problem throwing 75 feet with clean double hauls. Again the TT is not the line to set distance records, but the P5 has the backbone if needed.

I bought this rod based on the reviews posted on this site, and it's intended purpose (for me) was that of a "softer" rod with the capability of "butterfly with sore feet" dry fly presentations. In order to for me to accomplish this I prefer a firm tip and lower end grunt. My Sage One and NRX 5W are great rods, but are a little quick for smaller streams. Too many boxes to check? For me I got EXACTLy what I was hoping to obtain for 45 feet presentations that wasn't so fast that it struggled at 30 feet with delicate deliveries.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Glad your new baby is living up to your expectations. Let us know how it fishes and how it casts with the other lines that you have in the lineup.

It’s always good to have a new star join the team. Hope it continues to treat you well.

Now I have to call my brothers in Pittsburgh and ask about their weather. They are used to me getting big spring snowfalls in Wyoming, but not them.

Don

ixoye

Reaction score
Congrats for the rod, I will order a P4 8 feet #4 myself next week :)

fireroad

Reaction score
Congrats! My P5 Forest will be arriving later this week. Curious to hear what line you settled on. This will be my "drift boat dry fly" rod and I'm leaning towards the Airflo River and Stream line...

mudd foot

Reaction score
fireroad,
the weather (and job) have not been cooperative as of late, so my casting has been limited to the backyard. When I get to fish the P5, I'm going to be starting with the SA Mastery Trout as per Akos' recommendation.

Love the SA MED, and the Trout is just a tad shorter head with the same long rear taper. Am from the Joe Humphrey's school of casting (shock the rod on the forward cast; lower the elbow, then the tip in order to create S-curves in the leader. The action of the P5 really allows me to use this style without thinking, and I can land the backyard yarn fly within a hoola-hoop of where i'm aiming. My 5-weight quiver at present includes the NRX, NRX LP, and the Sage One. In comparison the P5 is easier (for me) to use this style on casts 30- 50 feet without having to alter my timing or technique.

All superlatives/expletives/exaggerations aside, this is a great rod for someone that is looking for a firmer tip while having the action bend deeper into the blank allowing for the feel of one's timing.

How's that for a recommendation?

ibookje

Reaction score
I've cast a couple of Stickman rods this weekend at a fly show.

I wasn't that impressed. Rods are fast and light. Can't see anything that made me say wow. The cosmetics isn't my taste but that's okay.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I fished a used P4 I picked up a few weeks ago on a small Va tailwater with an SA Mastery Trout taper in a 4 weight which seemed to load the rod just fine, nice fastish actioned stick with very good control. It will be a great medium water rod for me.