Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default what salmon rod?

im just getting into salmon fishing this year in the miramichi area. i am looking into getting a decent rod as the one i have now is junk. i was looking at the sage fli and the sage launch as they are in my price range $250ish. just looking for a little feedback weather these rods are any good or is there a better rod out there for that price?

Default Re: what salmon rod?

I didn't buy it specifically for steelhead, but this past year I used my 9 1/2' Fli 6 wt. for that purpose and it worked fine. Just keep in mind that you'll want a reel with a good drag system; that will end up being more important than the rod you're using.

Tha sage fli are are on clearance at most dealers they are closing them out this is the last year for them, I just picked up a 790-4 for $185. The launch has a slower action than the FLI but is a quality rod, but it you can find an FLI in the size your looking for you can get a pretty sweet deal. I dont really steelhead fish but i fish mostly warm water and lotsa of saltwater i own a 586-4, a 790-4, and a 990-4 all FLi's and i like them alot i learnt how to cast with a 9wt launch and it is a great rod but the FlI's are just a bit faster but still have alot of feel. As always if you can try before you buy you are better off. just because i like the FLI's doesn't mean you will.
    JimW

Hi booya,

The Miramichi is a great river but a good deal of it is in private hands. Many of the pools are owned by lodges or clubs. This is big water fishing but from the pictures I have seen most of the river pools are wadeable. You would do well with a single handed rod but the trend is to sprey rods.

Having fished in Alaska I would feel under gunned with a 6wt. It would depend a lot on what time of the year you are fishing. There are times you will be fishing big Salmon flies and my choice would be a 9'6" 8wt rod with a fighting butt. This will handle any size fly you would be using and allows you to control any big Salmon you might be lucky enough to hook up with. If I was fishing this river with a lodge I would probably take a 6wt and 8wt. Here is a site that offers fly fishing. Look over the descriptions of the pools and it will give you an idea of the water.

I would choose the Fli 8wt 9'6". One problem is it is a two piece and not as easy to carry on an airplane. Since you live in the area the 2 piece rod may not be a problem for you.

Frank

Sage Fli 896 2 piece.

The Orr Pool once owned by Ted Williams.

5. Default Re: what salmon rod?

Consider the Scott A2, also scheduled for replacement in 2009 and on sale in internet and local shops. This has a medium-fast action similar to the Sage Fli, is very well-made and carries an excellent warranty.
    One internet shop has 9'0 4piece 7 and 8 weights for $199 (regularly $300), and a 9'6" 4-piece 8 weight for $295.