Helios 3F 10ft 4wt

goshawk87

Reaction score
I have been getting into euro nymphing, and have been really enjoying it. I currently have a 10ft 3wt Recon that I really like. I have been starting to look at euro nymphing as part of my overall system, and I want to get a rod that can be more of an all around rod.

I am specifically looking for a rod that I can euro nymph, throw an indicator, use for dries, or even small streamers. This has me thinking that a 10ft 4wt rod will meet my needs, within the limitations of a 4 wt. my plan is to rig with a WF flyline, and use a long enough leader when euro nymphing that the line never comes off the spool. When I want to do something other than euro nymph, I can just change leaders.

With that in mind, I am looking at the Helios 3F 10ft 4wt. Does anyone have experience with this rod? I have also considered the same weight and size in the recon, but I really kind of want the Helios. I am open to suggestions and feedback, but I would rather get an Orvis rod, unless there are SIGNIFICANT advantages to a different brand.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I think that would be a great pick. I fish a very similar system to what you have described. I fish some larger rivers, and a lot of medium to larger streamers too, so my pick is a fast action, 9'6" 5 weight. I wish it was 10' some days, but 9'6" works most the time. The 10' #4 H3F, I assume, would be a great pick and not a giant departure from your euro Recon rod. The 10' 4 weight Recon would work too, and don't rule out the H3D to at least test out. Try it with a WF and a long mono system. Let us know how it goes.

AzTrouter

Reaction score
We're fellow travelers haha

I scratched the long for weight nymph rod itch with a 10' 4wt Orvis Clearwater after having spent a little time fishing one. I use mine as my go-to rod for 90% of my fishing dry's, streamers, indicator rigs, high stick and euro nymphing. I use it on small mountain creeks, ponds and lakes to large tailwaters.

It's been the best 'general-purpose' rod I've owned to date. Sometimes I think i should have bought up a notch or two with a Recon or other more expensive rod, but I honestly am not sure what the extra coin would have provided. I really get along with the Clearwaters action.

Im not sure I would feel absolutely the same way with a 10' 3wt. nymphing would be fine, but for other fishing styles I really like the 4wt. Right now I'm lined with a Rio Mainstream Trout WF4F and the rod does well IMO with a pedestrian true to weight line. The next line I'll spend more money and see what happens. I've fished it with a 5wt line and it was ok, but the Clearwater isn't particularly fast IMO and felt a little sluggish to my hand overlined. I would also like to try a double taper, but the WF Mainstream line cast well enough for me casting short.

This got a little windy haha, but this rod really switched up my fishing game all out of proportion to a foot of rod length.

goshawk87

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am going to get it this summer and give it a shot. I will have to write up a review after I get a chance to fish it a couple times.

roachm

Reaction score
We're fellow travelers haha

I scratched the long for weight nymph rod itch with a 10' 4wt Orvis Clearwater after having spent a little time fishing one. I use mine as my go-to rod for 90% of my fishing dry's, streamers, indicator rigs, high stick and euro nymphing. I use it on small mountain creeks, ponds and lakes to large tailwaters.

It's been the best 'general-purpose' rod I've owned to date. Sometimes I think i should have bought up a notch or two with a Recon or other more expensive rod, but I honestly am not sure what the extra coin would have provided. I really get along with the Clearwaters action.

Im not sure I would feel absolutely the same way with a 10' 3wt. nymphing would be fine, but for other fishing styles I really like the 4wt. Right now I'm lined with a Rio Mainstream Trout WF4F and the rod does well IMO with a pedestrian true to weight line. The next line I'll spend more money and see what happens. I've fished it with a 5wt line and it was ok, but the Clearwater isn't particularly fast IMO and felt a little sluggish to my hand overlined. I would also like to try a double taper, but the WF Mainstream line cast well enough for me casting short.

This got a little windy haha, but this rod really switched up my fishing game all out of proportion to a foot of rod length.
I 've been having this same thought process about my Euro rod as well
I been thinking the recon would be the rod to get for an all around rod but that's interesting about the Clearwater

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

AzTrouter

Reaction score
I almost bought the Recon, I handled them both in the store, but it's hard to tell much in the store. The Recon cost at least twice as much and I wasn't sure I was going to like a 10' rod for general use. They feel much longer and awkward in the store than on the water haha.... especially when the fly shop has an 8' ceiling :- )

Actually, previously fishing the Clearwater sealed the deal for me though. I'd call it a forgiving medium, mid-flex that does everything I needed well enough to be fun with the 10' rod advantage. I put a Ross Canyon III on it at first because I had it, it balanced a little reel heavy so bought a slightly lighter Mid-Arbor III, it's weight is perfect, it's more compact and meets my geeky idea of uniformity :- )

This is my favorite home stream, I fish regularly, it offers whatever fishing your in the mood for or got patients to keep switching leaders and flies haha

Yesterday I was all about the Euro, working the shallow riffles (I previously blew by) and caught a bunch of bookies and a few of these guys. Never ceases to amaze me the fish that hold in such places. Good way to fish with high gusty spring time winds. I was really happy to have a 4wt, I also creek fish a 8'6" 3wt and it would have been tough with it.

Attachments

AzTrouter

Reaction score
Great looking home stream...and a beautiful catch, too.
It's within a days strike for you if you don't mind leaving in the dark and getting home in the dark. It"s about 2hrs for me, door step to rigged rod streamside and that includes the 1 mile walk to get from the USFS road to streamside, it's a nice bushwacking 'tweener' stretch that doesn't see heavy pressure.

I need to slide over in NM and abuse some of your mountain creek trout, I was born and raised in Wyoming and had no idea of the good trouting in AZ and NM :- )

unicoiboy

Reaction score
I would defiently test cast and wiggle test the H3 10ft 4wt. The H2 in this configuration was a dud in my opinion- very stiff, kinda tip heavy, and not that sensitive. I hope they changed that with the h3, and I expect that they did, but Iwould still hesitate to purchase one blindly.

To me the old h2 10' 4wt was like they made the first 9ft out of a 9'4wt H2 and then added the but section of a 6wt. The 10ft 4wt recon was a better rod in my opinion, but still not as good as it could have been.

goshawk87

Reaction score
I would defiently test cast and wiggle test the H3 10ft 4wt. The H2 in this configuration was a dud in my opinion- very stiff, kinda tip heavy, and not that sensitive. I hope they changed that with the h3, and I expect that they did, but Iwould still hesitate to purchase one blindly.

To me the old h2 10' 4wt was like they made the first 9ft out of a 9'4wt H2 and then added the but section of a 6wt. The 10ft 4wt recon was a better rod in my opinion, but still not as good as it could have been.
Yea, I need to test it out. The trick is finding one to try. My local shop carries Orvis, but they only keep the big sellers in stock, and I doubt the 10’ 4wt is one. I wish I lived closer to an Orvis retail store.

osseous

Reaction score
I've just received a 10' 4wt Scott Radian to try the approach you've outlined. One potential downside, or at least a challenge to overcome, will be protecting light tippets when euro nymphing with these rods. They're all quite a bit stiffer than my Sage ESN dedicated euro rod- and without using fine tippet, you'd be compromising your drift. We will see how it works out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

goshawk87

Reaction score
I've just received a 10' 4wt Scott Radian to try the approach you've outlined. One potential downside, or at least a challenge to overcome, will be protecting light tippets when euro nymphing with these rods. They're all quite a bit stiffer than my Sage ESN dedicated euro rod- and without using fine tippet, you'd be compromising your drift. We will see how it works out.

That’s a good point, however I fish 5x on my 5wt all the time, so it should be ok.

I have started to wonder if it would be faster to switch spools than try and switch from a super long euro leaders.

unicoiboy

Reaction score
I use a zephrus 10' 4wt for the same purpose both of you are describing, perfect rod for my needs. I would venture to guess that the h3 may give it a run for it's money.

I have a 4wt WF line on mine with a 30' mono rig leader. It is an absolute PAIN to switch between throwing dries and tight-line techniques. The mono leader is just so long. I would defiantly go with 2 spools if that is your idea. I had the same plan with my rod, but I have ended up almost exclusively fishing tight-line rigs with that rod, as switching between tactics is a hassle. I will throw streamers on it with the long leader though.

osseous

Reaction score
I don't see the issue? I remove and re-use leaders all the time. 30' is a bit excessive, imho. Mine are closer to 20-22'. I just pinch the terminal end of the leader between two fingers and then wind it around the 4 fingers of my hand. Lay one wrap right on top of the last. Leave 6-8" of butt section and do 5-10 wraps around the coils. Comes out really clean and ready for the next time I need it-

AzTrouter

Reaction score
I don't see the issue? I remove and re-use leaders all the time. 30' is a bit excessive, imho. Mine are closer to 20-22'. I just pinch the terminal end of the leader between two fingers and then wind it around the 4 fingers of my hand. Lay one wrap right on top of the last. Leave 6-8" of butt section and do 5-10 wraps around the coils. Comes out really clean and ready for the next time I need it-

I'm doing the same thing right now for my 30' mono rig
It started out of necessity, I didn't have another Mid-Arbor III spool. At this point I'm not sure I need one, I'm really trying to get back to my travel light, creek warrior roots haha

goshawk87

Reaction score

I have an amazing ability to tangle leaders, even short tapered leaders, which is why I am considering the spare spool. I might try with my current euro setup and see how much of a pain it really is. Do you use a loop to loop connection, or do you nail knot your leader on?

goshawk87

Reaction score
I use a zephrus 10' 4wt for the same purpose both of you are describing, perfect rod for my needs. I would venture to guess that the h3 may give it a run for it's money.

I have a 4wt WF line on mine with a 30' mono rig leader. It is an absolute PAIN to switch between throwing dries and tight-line techniques. The mono leader is just so long. I would defiantly go with 2 spools if that is your idea. I had the same plan with my rod, but I have ended up almost exclusively fishing tight-line rigs with that rod, as switching between tactics is a hassle. I will throw streamers on it with the long leader though.
Awesome, thanks for the feed back. What kind of streamers are you throwing with a euro leader? I just assumed it wouldn’t be able to turn them over

osseous

Reaction score
I have an amazing ability to tangle leaders, even short tapered leaders, which is why I am considering the spare spool. I might try with my current euro setup and see how much of a pain it really is. Do you use a loop to loop connection, or do you nail knot your leader on?
Perfection loop on the leader- generally trust the welded loop on a flyline- but if I need to add a butt section of mono, I use an Albright with a little UV resin to smooth it out and help it thru the guides. Haven't done one on a freshwater line in years though.

To avoid tangles, line up your wraps over your fingers with the creases of your knuckles- then keep them right in line with each other- don't wander side to side at all. Packaged leaders come with 5 turns of the end around the coils- all of them. So unwind that tag end 5 times before you go to straighten the leader. You can follow that same recipe when you recoil a used leader- 5 turns. Should help keep you out of trouble.

goby

Reaction score
Check to see Orvis's return policy. I bet it's 30 days. Get the H3 and see if you fall in love with it. I have two H2's, and I absolutely love them (but neither are 10 footers.)

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
I have a the 10' 4wt Orvis H2 and love it for nymphing, and it actually does surprisingly well for tossing drys. Being a longer rod, it takes a bit heavier reel than an 8' or 9' rod.