Nymphing rod

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I don't own one, but have handled one. Didn't get to fish it. The owner, a fly shop owner from SW Colorado, raved about it. Indicator rigs, dry flies, small streamers, euro leaders, etc. He said it did a little bit of everything and was the only rod he ever used, out of a pretty large, impressive collection. See if you can get your hands on one to try it.

mike_r

Reaction score
If you are thinking of euro nymphing (bottom bouncing) something like the Orvis Recon 10’ 3wt or the Syndicate 10’ 3 wts would be Ideal as dedicated nymph rods and a bunch cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its a rod you could buy sight unseen. I do not prefer 10's but that rod will be an awesome nymphing tool. Straight line or indicator. The Radian has a soft yet responsive tip that settles nicely but still has a surprising amount of pop. The Radiian is another one of those...hmmm wish wish, maybe soon.

el jefe

Reaction score
I don't own one, but have handled one. Didn't get to fish it. The owner, a fly shop owner from SW Colorado, raved about it. Indicator rigs, dry flies, small streamers, euro leaders, etc. He said it did a little bit of everything and was the only rod he ever used, out of a pretty large, impressive collection. See if you can get your hands on one to try it.
Which fly shop, if you can say? Or PM me the answer? That is where I do a lot of my fishing, and if there is someone in the area that loves it that much, I might get in touch with that guy.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Which fly shop, if you can say? Or PM me the answer? That is where I do a lot of my fishing, and if there is someone in the area that loves it that much, I might get in touch with that guy.
Pop from Let it Fly in Pagosa Springs!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I think with it's powerful butt section and softer tip, it would be a great nymphing rod, especially in a 3wt.

I have the Scott A4 10' 4wt, and it's more like a 5wt because of the length. I like the med/fast action it has, but I wish they made them in a 3wt.

If I were to buy another 10' rod, it would definitely be a 3wt. I think you're looking at a great rod and should seriously consider buying it.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Do you guys think a high end, high performance casting fly rod is necessary, or even a good idea to buy for nymphing? I really-really enjoy casting delicate dry flies with a fine rod, but my nymph fishing more closely resembles lobbing a worm, sinker and bobber than fly fishing. Seems a waste to use my Radian for lobbing nymphs, plus I hate risking damage from inadvertently hitting the rod with a lead weight.

rockriver

Reaction score
My nymphing rod at the present time is a 9ft. 4wt, Sage Z-Axis. It works great and also does dries and small streamers very nicely. I think I'm ready for something new since I'd like to keep the Z in excellent condition. There is no way I can get my hands on one to try without ordering it since there aren't exactly a bunch of fly fisherman up here.

el jefe

Reaction score
Pop from Let it Fly in Pagosa Springs!
I was wondering if that was it! My buddy bought a 1004 Radian from Pops, and his experience echoes exactly what Pops said. Except for specialty circumstances, it is the only trout rod my buddy takes out on moving water now, and fishes every conceivable technique with it. Darn it, guys, now I have to buy another fly rod, and my Epic glass kit hasn't even arrived yet!!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Do you guys think a high end, high performance casting fly rod is necessary, or even a good idea to buy for nymphing? I really-really enjoy casting delicate dry flies with a fine rod, but my nymph fishing more closely resembles lobbing a worm, sinker and bobber than fly fishing. Seems a waste to use my Radian for lobbing nymphs, plus I hate risking damage from inadvertently hitting the rod with a lead weight.
I suppose a person can buy whatever they choose, and the Radian would be a great rod, but that's just my opinion. But I see your point glacierjohn, and I agree. That's why my 10' rod is an A4. And it has many purposes and does each one well enough to make me happy.
I bought that rod strictly for Czech nymphing, but I don't nymph but maybe 2% of the time because I pretty much fish dry and wet flies. Now, as for wet flies, I will say a 10' rod is the ticket. So if your into casting wets and North Country Spiders like the Partridge & Orange, Purple Snipe or Stewart's Black Spider, a higher end rod would be nice to have if you can afford one.
And a 10' Radian for wets and spiders would be my choice.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I was wondering if that was it! My buddy bought a 1004 Radian from Pops, and his experience echoes exactly what Pops said. Except for specialty circumstances, it is the only trout rod my buddy takes out on moving water now, and fishes every conceivable technique with it. Darn it, guys, now I have to buy another fly rod, and my Epic glass kit hasn't even arrived yet!!
I know I wanted one after handling it in the shop!

osseous

Reaction score
I just bought one- Haven't had a chance to fish it yet. My intent is to have a do-it-all rod that I can take off for the day and hike or float into a remote area with. Switch to a Euro leader when conditions warrant, use a two fly indicator nymph rig most of the time- or throw dries if a hatch comes off.

We will see how it works out-

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

el jefe

Reaction score
I just bought one- Haven't had a chance to fish it yet. My intent is to have a do-it-all rod that I can take off for the day and hike or float into a remote area with. Switch to a Euro leader when conditions warrant, use a two fly indicator nymph rig most of the time- or throw dries if a hatch comes off.

We will see how it works out-

Report back on your experiences, please. I want some feedback on this rod. Hope you have a great time with it!

osseous

Reaction score
Report back on your experiences, please. I want some feedback on this rod. Hope you have a great time with it!
You bet- might have a new favorite...
Or a smoking deal for ya!

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I use a 10ft 4wt Zenith. If I was going to buy another it would most likely be a 10 or 11ft 3wt Douglas DXF. This is a very good nymph rod ... better than the comparable Sky (a little too fast in my opinion) for nymph applications. Its less expensive also.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I suppose a person can buy whatever they choose, and the Radian would be a great rod, but that's just my opinion. But I see your point glacierjohn, and I agree. That's why my 10' rod is an A4. And it has many purposes and does each one well enough to make me happy.
I bought that rod strictly for Czech nymphing, but I don't nymph but maybe 2% of the time because I pretty much fish dry and wet flies. Now, as for wet flies, I will say a 10' rod is the ticket. So if your into casting wets and North Country Spiders like the Partridge & Orange, Purple Snipe or Stewart's Black Spider, a higher end rod would be nice to have if you can afford one.
And a 10' Radian for wets and spiders would be my choice.
I'm pretty much the same as you, if fish dries 90%, would fish wets if I needed, rarely nymphs. When I do fish nymphs I usually have two rods set up in the driftboat, either my G-904 or 905 Radian for dries and a G-906 for nymphs.

I would never tell someone not to buy a nice rod, even for nymphing, especially if nymphing was their main thing. I just wondered if it really required a precise, fast action casting rod?