Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

Quote Originally Posted by joe_strummer View Post
    heavy for trout, light for salt, situational rather than general purpose when looked at through those lenses.
    Perfect for smallmouth, though.

2. Likes rsagebrush, wildtigertrout liked this post

Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Obviously, the Hatch reels are amazing, but since you do have the 8wt, the Allen Kraken has treated me really well for the price.
    Yea Allen makes some great reels. I have three hatch reels and for the most part will stick with the same brand. That is part of my hesitation with going with stickman rods as most of my rods are sage

Quote Originally Posted by mtbright View Post
    I am looking at adding a 7wt rod. I am looking a a stickman or a sage. It is a hard decision I have 6wt method and a 8wt salt. I think it will fit as a light salt rod to a a heavy freshwater trout and bass. But it is hard as then I have to pick out a new reel, probably a hatch 5 plus in cyan, shh don’t let my wife know.
    I have not done a cross comparison of 9'/#7's but if, in the abstract, I were to compile a list of candidates that would function as a quick reflexed light bonefish/river streamer rod, it would include:

T&T Exocett which I very happily fished in Andros, a terrific rod

Sage X, based on the #8 I cast at Edison, I'll bet tis a winner

Like again its 8-eight sibling, G.Loomis Asquith could be phenomenal

The Scott Meridian and Radian siblings

Orvis H3D

Stickman T7 (though it would have to be custom ordered for inclusion)

And, from S.Korea; Douglas SKY is excellent as is Rise Level Series, ECHO3S might be a bargain like TFO's BVK and Mangrove and Hardy's Zephrus SW and especially Wraith would be included too.

My guess is the Asquith, T7, T&T, X and SKY would be in the top tier and perhaps Wraith too. Anyone else have candidates to add?

5. Likes mtbright liked this post
  6. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    Another thing I think is going to make a 7 weight even less useful is the new short single hand skagit heads. Now it's easier to cast heavy streamers and tips on a 5 weight than casting the same stuff on a 7 or 8 with standard lines.
    I can buy this if you're talking Western rivers and Galloup-style powerfishing. The game here is a little different, it's much more about hitting the "spot-on-the-spot," from moderate distance, and less about repeated long-range presentations. A 7wt gives a lot more control at our typical fishing distances than a 5wt and skagit set-up, and that's often a decisive advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Perfect for smallmouth, though.
    IMO the 7 weight is near perfect for Smallmouth Bass. Myself and two of my trout fishing buddies just recently got serious about flyfishing for Smallmouths. I added a Sage Accel 9' 7 weight to my quiver and matched it up with a Sage 3280 reel. I must say though my two friends stuck to their 8 weights.

8. Thanks driftless22 thanked for this post
    Likes joe_strummer, tex68w liked this post

Funny this thread came up as I recently created a thread looking for recommendations as to weather I should buy a 7 or 8 wt. rod for mainly bass fishing. I decided to go with a 7 and it sounds like I made the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

Recently picked up a Sage Foundation 9' 7wt for throwing streamers with 250 grain line. I had my doubts about how the rod would perform, but was talked into casting it by a buddy who is also a shop owner. It casts the 250 Airflo/Galloup Streamer Max/long like a DREAM,and has been a welcome addition to the quiver. Cant say enough good things about the rod. For 325.00, its a lot of bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I have not done a cross comparison of 9'/#7's but if, in the abstract, I were to compile a list of candidates that would function as a quick reflexed light bonefish/river streamer rod, it would include:

Orvis H3D

And, from S.Korea; Douglas SKY is excellent as is Rise Level Series, ECHO3S might be a bargain like TFO's BVK and Mangrove and Hardy's Zephrus SW and especially Wraith would be included too.

My guess is the Asquith, T7, T&T, X and SKY would be in the top tier and perhaps Wraith too. Anyone else have candidates to add?
    Yea I would agree with all of that, I love my two Sage Xs. The stickman t7 reviews have caused me to look seriously look at them for a 7 wt.

12. Likes tex68w liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post

Orvis H3D

IMHO, the 790 Sage X is the best X rod of all. Quite possibly the finest taper and feel of any mid-size rod I’ve fished. It is so light yet so powerful and precise. It feels like a 5wt trout rod in hand but can absolutely rip an entire fly line like a laser beam if you ask it to. Trout in big rivers, warm water species of all kinds, bonefish or salmon in the salt. It does it with aplomb, precision and flair.

I hardly ever reach for an 8wt any more, and it is so light and responsive that it has relieved my prized 691 METHOD of a few duties.

14. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

The last rod I bought was an Orvis Recon 7 wt. I had lots of time to practice casting with it and it felt real good, hence my decision to buy.

Besides, there no such thing as 'not' needing a particular weight rod. Fly rods are like golf clubs...you pull an appropriate one out for whatever particular application you are facing.

15. Likes el jefe liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast