Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  28
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

I also have the 9' Sage Accel 7wt which I pond fish for bass. Seems just right. Probably going to add another reel with an 8wt line for some of the heavier flies.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

I only fish the salt,and while mindful of the old adage of not taking a knife to a gun fight,seven weights have been my go-to for some time now,and IMHO the perfect choice for Bonefish and middling flats Trevally.I've three currently...Winston BiiiPlus,Clutch Archipelago and Scott Meridian.Well,these days seven is the new eight really,isn't it?

3. Likes tex68w liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by seattlesetters View Post
    IMHO, the 790 Sage X is the best X rod of all. Quite possibly the finest taper and feel of any mid-size rod Iíve fished. It is so light yet so powerful and precise. It feels like a 5wt trout rod in hand but can absolutely rip an entire fly line like a laser beam if you ask it to. Trout in big rivers, warm water species of all kinds, bonefish or salmon in the salt. It does it with aplomb, precision and flair.

I hardly ever reach for an 8wt any more, and it is so light and responsive that it has relieved my prized 691 METHOD of a few duties.
    **** thanks for the info on the 7wt x, I have a method 691, and love it. Have you cast the 7wt method? Wonder how it compares to the X or t7. The methods should go on sale at some point in the next year.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

The 691 Method is a great flats rod and as strong as many others 7wts.,but bear in mind that this is Sage's fastest action rod series,and a very different proposition to the X series.I prefer the X as a casting rod,but the Method as a fishing rod....and as many are aware,these two demands are often mutually exclusive.

6. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

i fished a 6/7 for years as my daily rod. the 7 is perfect for smallies and largies plus can be used for everything that swims in freshwater. makes a great light duty salt stick as well. a 8.6 or 9 for a 6/7 or perfect 7 is the best all around flyrod.

Well, I wrote a somewhat lengthy post that didn't make it through when I clicked the button. Lost it.

Summation was that I believe 7 weights are ideal casting rods. Many people have high-opinions of most 7 weights. The issue is, it's a bit big for most freshwater scenarios, and a bit small for most saltwater scenarios.

I really enjoy fishing with my Sage Bolt 7 weight. The opportunities to do so are just few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    The 691 Method is a great flats rod and as strong as many others 7wts.,but bear in mind that this is Sage's fastest action rod series,and a very different proposition to the X series.I prefer the X as a casting rod,but the Method as a fishing rod....and as many are aware,these two demands are often mutually exclusive.

I have 2 sage Xs and the method 691. The Xs are a dream to fish with they will do anything you ask it do and does it with ease. Now the method is a different beast, it takes more work to fish with and is not forgiving when you make mistakes and this may be why it is fun to cast with. I truly enjoy casting

The consensus is 7-weights can be kind of specialized...fine with me, I prefer individual specialized application fly rods.

I am not an IFF Certified Casting Instructor but for those that pursue certification, the standard rod to use in testing is a 9'/#7 that pairs well with an orange SA MED#7.

10. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

Quote Originally Posted by del gue View Post
    The last rod I bought was an Orvis Recon 7 wt. I had lots of time to practice casting with it and it felt real good, hence my decision to buy.

Besides, there no such thing as 'not' needing a particular weight rod. Fly rods are like golf clubs...you pull an appropriate one out for whatever particular application you are facing.
    how is the recon holding up? I have a 5wt and it has outlasted my friend's helios 2

I feel that the 7wt is the perfect flats tool if your winds aren't over 20mph. It will land slot reds all day long just like an 8-9wt and it'll do it with less weight, more finesse, and better presentation. Down here in Texas you'd be surprised how many guys throw 7wt's at reds/drum/trout not to mention it's a great option for those Bones and Snook.

I've set my quiver up around the 7wt in odd offsets, so I have a 9wt for those bigger inshore fish and high wind days and an 11wt to be added soon for Tarpon. I am currently researching 5wt rods and reels for Trout, it'll make my line up pretty sweet, 5,7,9,11!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234