does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

callihan_44

Reaction score
I ask this because more than once ive heard guys say "if it's too big to catch on a 5-6 then jump up to an 8 wt .

deceiverbob

Reaction score
My last rod acquisition was a 7 wt One. Used it this winter to catch reds from 4 to 12 lbs. On that size fish in shallow water I land them just as fast with a 7 as I do with an 8.

el jefe

Reaction score
A fly shop owner in southern Colorado (not Telluride Angler) thought the 7-weight was the ******* stepchild of fly rods, kind of like some folks have mentioned to you. I talked to somebody over at Scott last fall about a Meridian 907, and if that's the right "next rod up" for my planned use. My biggest gun right now is a Radian 906, and he said the 907 Meridian would feel like more than a single line weight up from the Radian and would be very good for my application, so there's that. He should know...he designed them both.

huntschool

Reaction score
I think you hear that because of how some folks set their quiver. I set mine based on what I want from a size and how I use it.

I fish a Scott 7 wt 9' G rod for heavy dbl. nymph and streamer stuff. I have a bunch of Scott stuff and this rod, although med action, is a gun for this application. I have used it in TX for reds in shore in the marsh and it performed quite well with a floating 7 wt salt line. It is powerful and yet light in hand based on size. I will add, I also had a 9 wt Scott G at hand just in case......

7 wt is a good choice I think, depending on how one would chose to use it. It would also serve well as a big water big dry fly rod.

JMHO

quattro

Reaction score
7 wt method is my absolute favorite rod for chasing reds on the Texas gulf coast and chucking big streamers for bull trout in Oregon and sockeye or pinks in AK.
love the 7 weights.

gormaci

Reaction score
7 is the trickiest rod weight in the lineup.
For some it is large trout streamer rod, for some steelhead, and for many light bonfish rod etc with more sub categories withing each mentioned...
And for example if it is design for bonefish more than a trout it is completely different rod (more of a 8-9 weight in freshwater standards).
Case of Winston, in my opinion: B3x 790 very smooth trout rod/smaller bonefish, smooth casting all standard true weight lines and also SA bonefish. Winston B3PLUS = BROOMSTICK and no fun with anything lighter than 200-220+G line!

Some hate 7 weight for exactly same reason other love!!!

rsagebrush

Reaction score
The 7wt is simply a great freshwater fly rod and allows you to go up to an 8 weight line if you're throwing some bigger flies too. I have an original 9' G, 71/2 foot McFarland, fiberglass, Stickman 9 Footer and a TFO 91/2 foot BVK. Very good lineweight for my smallmouth fishing and also for fishing bigger trouts.
An added bonus is used 7weight come at quite a discount. The G would be considered by a lot of anglers a 6 weight, although it is not. The McFarland is to me really a 6/7 weight rod and works well in overgrown spring creeks and freestones back east where larger fish may be encountered.
When the wind kicks up, no problemo.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I wrote about 7-weights recently too, here under Rods...scroll down to T&T Exocett 7-Weight. It is definitely true that #6's and 8's are far more popular. It is also true that the grain weight jump from 6 to 7-weight is greater than from 5 to 6. There is though something unique about 7-weights; when a 6-weight feels under-gunned for throwing massive streamers for trout, a #7 can represent a real noticeable improvement. Conversely, when a potent 8-weight feels inadequately subtle for presenting light, sparse bonefish flies in skinny water, a crisp #7 is ideal and can feel like casting trout rod in comparison.

J

joe_strummer

I was unaware that the 7wt was unloved, although it is a transition point -- heavy for trout, light for salt, situational rather than general purpose when looked at through those lenses. I use 7s quite a bit, a B3x for carpin and general purpose light warmwater, and an Xi3 and a 9'6" One when a bit of muscle is needed. The One doesn't get used much -- I don't know why I ever bought a 9'6" rod -- but the Xi3 is a very useful warmwater rod that I like for throwing bass bugs and for fishing deep in open water for wipers if the wind's not blowing (wind's usually blowing). My next rod is going to be a #7 Meridian, which seems to me to sit between the B3x and the Xi3 on the spectrum of finesse to power.

flav

Reaction score
Definitely, the 7 weight gets very little love. I remember talking to a flyshop owner who told me he only kept one or two 7's in stock because he only sold a couple a year.
I've owned a couple 7's over the years, but I sold them years ago because they just didn't get used much, and I don't miss them. Too heavy for trout and bass, a little light for the wind on the salt flats, but just about right for dry line summer steelhead, however I prefer a two hander for that.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of 7 weights myself. They are certainly overlooked by most anglers who fish for trout and saltwater and therefore usually have a 5 and an 8. But warmwater guys love them, as do folks fishing for large trout with streamers. I fish 5, 6, 7, and 8 weights and the 7 gets a multiple times more use than the 8. The 8 mostly wastes away in it's tube. While the 5 and 6 are much better all around rods for most of us, the 7 is incredibly versatile for a multi-species rod.

They are without question the most versatile rod for black bass species. I often say the 9' 7 weight is the 9' 5 weight of the bass world. They also are perfect for big river trout streamers with sinking lines and single hand steelhead fishing. I would argue that they are the best for carp as well, having muscle but still having the capability to be delicate in the hands of a good caster. I agree that it can be tricky to find the right 7 weight because we demand a lot from a 7 weight. Streamers, bass, carp, and salt all from one rod is a tall order. But it definitely works! Mine right now is a TFO Mangrove. Excellent general purpose 7 weight. I have my eye on the Scott Tidal though...

gretch6364

Reaction score
My trout quiver is all Scott as I live in Colorado and like to support local brands. I have a 7ft 3wt F series, an 8'8" G2 4wt for dry fly fishing, a 9ft S4 6wt for nymphing and hoppers and a 9ft 7wt X2S for throwing meat from my boat.

The F series fiberglass rod is just flat out fun on a small mountain stream and the G2 as a dry fly rod lives up to its reputation and there is no need to say more on it.

I would love to have a Radian, but bought all my rods before I got married and had two kids. The S4 doesn't have the reputation that the Radian does, but it easily throws big hoppers into the wind and three fly nymph rigs. The soft tip protects 6x and 7x tippet on the South Platte amazingly, but still has the backbone to stop those hot bucks in Cheeseman or control big fish from the boat.

With that said, the 6wt S4 just doesn't have what I need to throw a full sinking line with big double cone head streamers. Especially when from a boat where I need quick accurate shots without hitting anyone in the back of the head. Plus, on the boat, you really need a dedicated streamer rod that you can grab quickly and don't have to pull off a nymph rig and change reels, etc.

The Scott X2S I got for a song and it was known as a pretty soft/more medium action saltwater rod. I think it is the perfect streamer rod (and carp rod). I do think the Meridian in a 7wt would be a little much for this purpose, but a 7wt Radian would be tits.

My concluding thoughts....the newest generation of 7wt saltwater rods are probably a bit light for most saltwater applications and a bit heavy for trout. The 7wt freshwater rods are the perfect streamer rods for sinking lines as an 8wt would be a bit much and while maybe easier to cast long distance, not as much fun in the fight. It is a specialty rod, but I absolutely love chucking meat from the boat with that X2S and a full sink line...perfect balance of strong butt, soft tip and mid flex.

All that said, I am not a fan of throwing streamers on a floating line and don't think the rod would excel under that circumstance.

el jefe

Reaction score
I was unaware that the 7wt was unloved, although it is a transition point -- heavy for trout, light for salt, situational rather than general purpose when looked at through those lenses. I use 7s quite a bit, a B3x for carpin and general purpose light warmwater, and an Xi3 and a 9'6" One when a bit of muscle is needed. The One doesn't get used much -- I don't know why I ever bought a 9'6" rod -- but the Xi3 is a very useful warmwater rod that I like for throwing bass bugs and for fishing deep in open water for wipers if the wind's not blowing (wind's usually blowing). My next rod is going to be a #7 Meridian, which seems to me to sit between the B3x and the Xi3 on the spectrum of finesse to power.
What is your projected use for the Meridian? Just curious, as my itchy trigger finger has been on the Checkout Now button at TA's website for a while, but then I wonder if a 7-weight Radian is a better tool for my intended uses (lake fishing for all kinds of species, from the deck of a bass boat, with maybe some river streamer fishing, but not with the huge meat).

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I am not sure how the newer 7 wt rods in today's market are as i have never had a chance to fish with any of them but i have an old Garcia Conolon 7wt rod that gets a lot of love.It is one of my favorite rods for largemouth bass and has no problem casting small clousers or large streamers.It has plenty of backbone for landing larger fish but also will do well if i were fishing for panfish.I have a 5,6,and 8 wt rod but the 7 wt gets more use than any of them.

gretch6364

Reaction score
What is your projected use for the Meridian? Just curious, as my itchy trigger finger has been on the Checkout Now button at TA's website for a while, but then I wonder if a 7-weight Radian is a better tool for my intended uses (lake fishing for all kinds of species, from the deck of a bass boat, with maybe some river streamer fishing, but not with the huge meat).
I would definitely try and cast both. I think you might find the 7wt Radian to be a better freshwater tool then the 7wt Meridian. Especially if you are not going to be throwing a full sink line with big coneheaded streamers

mtbright

Reaction score
I am looking at adding a 7wt rod. I am looking a a stickman or a sage. It is a hard decision I have 6wt method and a 8wt salt. I think it will fit as a light salt rod to a a heavy freshwater trout and bass. But it is hard as then I have to pick out a new reel, probably a hatch 5 plus in cyan, shh don’t let my wife know.

J

joe_strummer

I'll use it pretty much that way, from a boat, black bass, true bass, carp, minus trout rivers, and as a legit option for Maine schoolies, FLA shark and turtle watching, other light s/w. I cast it alongside a Salt HD and decided the Meridian fit my needs best, a 7 with good power but also with enough touch to be fun to use carpin -- carpin is not the forte of my Xi3 or One, imo. I have the 6 Meridian and use it a lot.

gretch6364

Reaction score
I am looking at adding a 7wt rod. I am looking a a stickman or a sage. It is a hard decision I have 6wt method and a 8wt salt. I think it will fit as a light salt rod to a a heavy freshwater trout and bass. But it is hard as then I have to pick out a new reel, probably a hatch 5 plus in cyan, shh don’t let my wife know.
Obviously, the Hatch reels are amazing, but since you do have the 8wt, the Allen Kraken has treated me really well for the price.

karstopo

Reaction score
My first fly rod was a 7wt, A Gary Borger Pro by Targus. It's actually a very nice rod that I seldom use, but it is an excellent Texas Redfish rod only at 9' it's just a little longer than I like to carry in the kayak. I've used it on cold water trout in a stream. It can certainly cast a tungsten weighted streamer a long way and pull stubborn fish from out of the current.

If I had to only take one rod when I went after redfish, except where really big fish are the norm, it would be a 7 weight. I'd pick a 7 weight for Largemouth bass if I could only have one rod to choose from.

Reactions: bwf

flav

Reaction score
Another thing I think is going to make a 7 weight even less useful is the new short single hand skagit heads. Now it's easier to cast heavy streamers and tips on a 5 weight than casting the same stuff on a 7 or 8 with standard lines.