Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

I ask this because more than once ive heard guys say "if it's too big to catch on a 5-6 then jump up to an 8 wt .

Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

My last rod acquisition was a 7 wt One. Used it this winter to catch reds from 4 to 12 lbs. On that size fish in shallow water I land them just as fast with a 7 as I do with an 8.

3. Likes callihan_44 liked this post

A fly shop owner in southern Colorado (not Telluride Angler) thought the 7-weight was the ******* stepchild of fly rods, kind of like some folks have mentioned to you. I talked to somebody over at Scott last fall about a Meridian 907, and if that's the right "next rod up" for my planned use. My biggest gun right now is a Radian 906, and he said the 907 Meridian would feel like more than a single line weight up from the Radian and would be very good for my application, so there's that. He should know...he designed them both.

5. Likes rsagebrush, callihan_44 liked this post

I think you hear that because of how some folks set their quiver. I set mine based on what I want from a size and how I use it.

I fish a Scott 7 wt 9' G rod for heavy dbl. nymph and streamer stuff. I have a bunch of Scott stuff and this rod, although med action, is a gun for this application. I have used it in TX for reds in shore in the marsh and it performed quite well with a floating 7 wt salt line. It is powerful and yet light in hand based on size. I will add, I also had a 9 wt Scott G at hand just in case......

7 wt is a good choice I think, depending on how one would chose to use it. It would also serve well as a big water big dry fly rod.

JMHO
    Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (Retired)
    Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
    Southeastern Illinois College
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III Instructor

7. Likes callihan_44 liked this post
  8. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

7 wt method is my absolute favorite rod for chasing reds on the Texas gulf coast and chucking big streamers for bull trout in Oregon and sockeye or pinks in AK.
    love the 7 weights.

9. Likes callihan_44, tex68w liked this post
  10. Default Re: does the 7 wt get overlooked a bit much?

7 is the trickiest rod weight in the lineup.
    For some it is large trout streamer rod, for some steelhead, and for many light bonfish rod etc with more sub categories withing each mentioned...
    And for example if it is design for bonefish more than a trout it is completely different rod (more of a 8-9 weight in freshwater standards).
    Case of Winston, in my opinion: B3x 790 very smooth trout rod/smaller bonefish, smooth casting all standard true weight lines and also SA bonefish. Winston B3PLUS = BROOMSTICK and no fun with anything lighter than 200-220+G line!

Some hate 7 weight for exactly same reason other love!!!

11. Likes callihan_44, sweetandsalt liked this post

The 7wt is simply a great freshwater fly rod and allows you to go up to an 8 weight line if you're throwing some bigger flies too. I have an original 9' G, 71/2 foot McFarland, fiberglass, Stickman 9 Footer and a TFO 91/2 foot BVK. Very good lineweight for my smallmouth fishing and also for fishing bigger trouts.
    An added bonus is used 7weight come at quite a discount. The G would be considered by a lot of anglers a 6 weight, although it is not. The McFarland is to me really a 6/7 weight rod and works well in overgrown spring creeks and freestones back east where larger fish may be encountered.
    When the wind kicks up, no problemo.

I wrote about 7-weights recently too, here under Rods...scroll down to T&T Exocett 7-Weight. It is definitely true that #6's and 8's are far more popular. It is also true that the grain weight jump from 6 to 7-weight is greater than from 5 to 6. There is though something unique about 7-weights; when a 6-weight feels under-gunned for throwing massive streamers for trout, a #7 can represent a real noticeable improvement. Conversely, when a potent 8-weight feels inadequately subtle for presenting light, sparse bonefish flies in skinny water, a crisp #7 is ideal and can feel like casting trout rod in comparison.

14. Likes seattlesetters, clouserguyky liked this post

I was unaware that the 7wt was unloved, although it is a transition point -- heavy for trout, light for salt, situational rather than general purpose when looked at through those lenses. I use 7s quite a bit, a B3x for carpin and general purpose light warmwater, and an Xi3 and a 9'6" One when a bit of muscle is needed. The One doesn't get used much -- I don't know why I ever bought a 9'6" rod -- but the Xi3 is a very useful warmwater rod that I like for throwing bass bugs and for fishing deep in open water for wipers if the wind's not blowing (wind's usually blowing). My next rod is going to be a #7 Meridian, which seems to me to sit between the B3x and the Xi3 on the spectrum of finesse to power.

16. Likes clouserguyky, el jefe liked this post

Definitely, the 7 weight gets very little love. I remember talking to a flyshop owner who told me he only kept one or two 7's in stock because he only sold a couple a year.
    I've owned a couple 7's over the years, but I sold them years ago because they just didn't get used much, and I don't miss them. Too heavy for trout and bass, a little light for the wind on the salt flats, but just about right for dry line summer steelhead, however I prefer a two hander for that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast