Ultimate Sage ZXL 690 respect

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
Last night I was fishing a back cove for bluegill and crappie, as I am entered in a warm/cool water fish species tournament that is a solo affair, lasting a month, with the winner and subsequent second and third places being a race to catch as many individual warm/cool water species as possible out of 18 warm/cool water fish. Anyway, I had already caught my wiper (a 22-23 inch specimen) on my Sage X 890. Since I was fishing a quiet cove I opted for my Sage ZXL 690 for the job. After hooking and releasing a bluegill and a black crappie, night started to set in and the moon began to rise. I changed out to a size 2 muddy buddy streamer in black color (love black flies at night).

Hoping to get into some bass possibly, I heard and then saw a substantial pop/swirl on the surface about 60-70 feet out from the shoreline. I began to double haul a few casts 70-75 feet in that direction. On the fourth cast or so, I had retrieved half of my line (35 feet) or so, and a had a hard grab that sent a shockwave through my right arm! Within two seconds my running line at my feet was out of the guides and this fish was tearing line off the reel. I knew I had hooked a good fish (was certain it was a wiper from the way it hit and immediately took off into a violent run)! This wiper ran deep and my buddy took my headlight off my head and put the beam on the water where my line was submerged in an effort to help me track the fish and try to keep it out of the edge rock along the shore.

At this point the line went completely limp and I thought for about 3-5 seconds that it was off. But, I hand stripped as fast as I could and felt the weight of this brute again, as he was running back toward me on the shore! The wiper made another strong run and picked up the slack line and on the reel he was again! This is where it gets cool! I then put that ZXL's non-fighting butt onto the side of my hip and got a good 45 degree bend on the rod and put the wood to that fish, at which point the ZXL was bending into the cork! I kept the pressure on, reeled up and pumped that butt section into the fish to lift him out of the depth. A couple of minutes later we saw him come up out of the depths and my buddy netted my biggest wiper to date!! Twenty-seven (27 inches) and a weight estimate of 12-15 lbs. (didn't have a scale), only a quick measure on the tape and he was revived for a couple of minutes and a good tail kick later, he swam away to fight another day!

I normally fish for wiper with an 8 weight, but I have to say the ZXL handled the big streamer and beast wiper like a boss! A fighting butt would have been nice instead of burying the nickel silver reel seat butt into my hip, but it worked. So, my take is that the ZXL is one mean rod that has some balls in reserve to put the wood to big fish! Long post I know, but wanted to get it out there what the ZXL 6 wt. is capable of!! Rod is mated to an old school Ross Gunnison Pre-94 size 3 with SA Expert Distance WF6F line. BTW... my younger brother gave me this rod as a Father's Day gift a few years ago, so it has always had a special place in my quiver.

Tight lines guys!IMG_2006.JPG

Last edited:

el jefe

Reaction score
I have a boatload of ZXLs, but not the 690. That series of rods is simply awesome, right there with the Scott G for best trout rods ever made. Nice work!

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
El Jefe, I know you do! I have seen you start and respond to numerous threads on these rods. I figured you'd like this one! There's a ZXL 690-4, new I think, on the big auction site right now. Bid is at $405. I wasn't planning on tying into that fish last night on the ZXL, but you know how the saying goes "run what ya brung", so I made that rod work and tapped into its reserve power! Super cool rods the ZXLs are!

el jefe

Reaction score
I have been watching that one on the auction site. And it's just up the road from me in Santa Fe. I could have it my paws in an hour, if it weren't on the site!!

As a sidebar, the new Scott GS reminds me a lot of the ZXL, to the point where I cast the GS 843 straight against my ZXL 386, and could not tell enough difference to pull the trigger on the new GS in a 3-weight. The new GS 906 has made my heart go all aflutter.

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
Ah man! I didn't look to see where that ZXL was located. Must be at a fly shop you're familiar with then? I haven't cast the G or G2 rods from Scott, but I have fished my buddy's Radian 5 wt. and his Tidal 8 wt. The Radian is a GREAT rod!! The Tidal is not bad, a touch slow for me, but the Meridian 8 wt. I test cast at a fly shop was money!! I ended up finding a Sage X 8 wt. on the auction site for almost half off, so I picked that up instead, and it's an awesome rod. I fished it in Oregon this winter for steelhead. I am seriously considering a Meridian 6 wt. though, as that would complete my lake fishing quiver. I don't currently have a 6 with a fighting butt, and a fighting butt would have come in handy on that wiper last night LOL. You need to fish in these parts sometime Jefe the next time you're passing through.

el jefe

Reaction score
I will be pulling the trigger on a Meridian 907 just in advance of my first time up to Pagosa this summer. It is slated for use on Echo Lake. I test cast it at Telluride Angler in November. It was my first time casting a salt water rod--HOLY COW!! Talk about line speed!!

If I can swing it with my schedule, I will be hitting southern Colorado a bit this summer. Every time I go to Telluride for my daughter's hockey in the late fall, I gaze at the Dolores and San Miguel, and tell myself I've got to go back after the hockey season ends.

I'm with you on the Radian. I have the 906. I think of the Radian as the fast rod for those that like the ZXL. Haven't tried the Sage X yet.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I will be pulling the trigger on a Meridian 907 just in advance of my first time up to Pagosa this summer. It is slated for use on Echo Lake. I test cast it at Telluride Angler in November. It was my first time casting a salt water rod--HOLY COW!! Talk about line speed!!
Let me know how that goes!!! Love echo lake.

Thanks for sharing ghostrider. That is a great story. A good 6 weight can do so many things!

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
Thanks, clouserguy! It was an amazing experience to cast out into the darkness (in the direction of the pop/swirl), the initial take (like electricity), and fighting that awesome wiper on a Sage ZXL 690. This fish was in the top 3 fish of my life so far! Simply amazing for a LOT of things to come together in hooking into that fish. I am still on cloud nine about this encounter!

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score

If I can swing it with my schedule, I will be hitting southern Colorado a bit this summer. Every time I go to Telluride for my daughter's hockey in the late fall, I gaze at the Dolores and San Miguel, and tell myself I've got to go back after the hockey season ends.

I'm with you on the Radian. I have the 906. I think of the Radian as the fast rod for those that like the ZXL. Haven't tried the Sage X yet.
You are going to ABSOLUTELY LOVE that Meridian!! They are gorgeous rods with impeccable craftsmanship! It will be a bad boy for sure!

jastrout

Reaction score
Curious if there is current Sage in the LL-SLT -ZXL similar action?

Last edited: