Cheapest 5wt rod for a 10 year old?

Mcflyfyter

Reaction score
I am very new to a fly rod, and my son is wanting to learn with me. I suggested to him that the local fly shop had a kids class that he could attend. He asked what it cost, and I told him $200. He was quiet for about 20 seconds and said "I'd rather just learn from you than waste all that money", so I guess I am going to have to figure this out so I can teach him.

I have a 5wt Crosswater combo and a new in box Martin 48 reel that is spooled up with a 5wt line. What is a cheap rod that he can learn on that won't hamper his potential? Thinking maybe under $80 or so? Thanks

desmobob

Reaction score
Eagle Claw Featherlight fiberglass. Unbelievably fun rods for $25. I have three models and love them.

Tight lines,
Bob

rusty 54

Reaction score
My oldest grandson has a 4 wt TFO kids rod. He is 9, but a BIG 9. Last summer, he was struggling with it. He did much better with a garage sale 8 1/2 ft 5 wt Cabelas rod. Depending on your son's size and strength, I would pass on the Geckos and Bug tossers, etc. and get a more "grown up" rod. That was our experience, your mileage may vary.

brownbass

Reaction score
My oldest grandson has a 4 wt TFO kids rod. He is 9, but a BIG 9. Last summer, he was struggling with it. He did much better with a garage sale 8 1/2 ft 5 wt Cabelas rod. Depending on your son's size and strength, I would pass on the Geckos and Bug tossers, etc. and get a more "grown up" rod. That was our experience, your mileage may vary.
I agree with Rusty, At ten your son is due for a growth spurt and you will need to buy another rod sooner rather than later. Maybe an eight to eight and a half foot rod rather then a kids rod.

Bill

mikechell

Reaction score
"Bugger" fly rod combo ... $59.99. I've got two.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-bugger-fly-rod-and-reel-outfit

"Cricket" fly rod combo ... $79.00. I've got one. A little heavier than the "Bugger", but I like the foam handle. And it's chartreuse green ... which makes it different.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/White-River-Fly-Shop-IntruderCricket-Complete-Fly-Outfit

"Dogwood Canyon" ... $99.00. I've got two, but one was a "freebie" and sits in my room as a back up. My favorite rod, because it's shorter than the two above. In the overhang crowded banks I fish, it's a great rod.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-dogwood-canyon-fly-outfit

dennyk

Reaction score
Mcflyfyter, I can't comment on the rod, but welcome to the forum. You and your son learning together will be a great experience. This forum is the place to get answers to your questions. Watch the Orvis series of videos on fly casting. Orvis.com

:welcomean

Denny

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I'm going to go the other way on this subject. Spend the $200 on the lessons and get the rod and reel later.

Here's my reasoning:

As stated in hundreds of previous threads, most of us wish we'd taken more lessons during our formative years fly-fishing; may as well start your kid on the right path.

He's a kid so he's going to pick it up quicker (probably quicker than you), and he's not going to begin with a lot of bad habits enforced by a lot of trial-and-error.

The instructor will be able to give you both some options after seeing your son cast on proper rod-reel sets for him. At the very least he'll be able to tell you what rod action/weight/line/length and so on would be best for your kid's height/size/strength/competence/etc.

IMO, for those reasons alone, the $200 would be money well-spent. YMMV.

Peace.

ryc72

Reaction score
I just fished with an echo gecko this weekend and it was awesome. Your son will probably outgrow it in a couple of years but fwiw I really enjoyed fishing with it myself. The best part is that with the grip and butt spaced the way they are you can legit two hand cast with it. Fun to feel like you are spey casting on a small stream but I digress. Also the longer butt allows you to tuck the rod under your arm when fighting a fish similar to a spinning rod which I think would be more natural for a kid (It was for my daughter anyway). In general easy to cast a 5wt line whether overhand casting or roll casting. If you can find one used it would be a great inexpensive rod to start any kid off with and in a couple of years you can probably sell it for about the same that you paid for it.

JoJer

Reaction score
I have a 9" 5Wt TFO Pro Special. It weighs 94 grams. My daughter really likes it and her 8 year old daughter casts it just fine. $100. from Cabela's (on sale).

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I fished a canopy mid sized stream in the APPs last year with an Echo Gecko for a day, really once you get past the wild color theme it is a great stick. As an upside it kind of freaks out the upscale fly fishers you meet out there. Like an Ugly Stick for fly fishing, Funky time.

D

dryfly70

GO ONLINE Sierra Trading Post

This is a Great Inexpencive Rod / Reel / fly line / and leader and comes with a Hard Rod/Reel Case....... for only $99 free shipping That would be fine for years.... I bought my Nephew one, and he loves it.......Would and not have to be replaced as he grows. .......You may want to replace flyline but it works fine. The reel is really nice as well..(I actually Like it)....

Item #343RT
Adamsbuilt Fishing Adamsbuilt GVH/AB1 Series Fly Rod and Reel Combo - 4-Piece, 9’
5WT
Quantity:

About Adamsbuilt Fishing Adamsbuilt GVH/AB1 Series Fly Rod and Reel Combo - 4-Piece, 9’
Closeouts. Ready to wet the line, this Adamsbuilt GVH/AB1 Series fly rod and reel combo offers a high-modulus graphite blank with fast, smooth and progressive action. The precision-machined AB-1 56 reel comes pre-loaded with backing, floating fly line and leader.

Four-piece high-modulus graphite blank with tip flex loads very fast and for precise timing and control
Precision-machined T-6061 aluminum AB-1 56 fly reel pre-loaded with backing, WF5F floating fly line and leader
Includes zip hardshell rod case with attached reel pouch for traveling, storage and protection Great Deal for $99 Mike

dharkin

Reaction score
Pay the $200 for the lessons and get a rod later. Learning the proper technique is far more important than what rod you buy him IMO. After the lessons, you can turn it around as a learning experience and have him teach you. What 10 year old wouldn't like teaching his Dad something?

Take care,
Dan

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I'm going to echo what rangerrich said and I'm doing that purely out of my experience. I'm not sure how proficient you are at casting but I am TERRIBLE. I paid for a lesson and it was awesome. They just know so much that you likely don't know. Like I said I am awful at casting (even after the lesson) but what I do notice is that when I'm on the water or yard I can kind of hear things that the instructor had said to me during my lesson which I likely would have no clue about had I not paid the money to go to it. Not only that but learning in a class environment kind of helps "ease the pain" while you're struggling with casting because others are right there with you.

Depending on how proficient you are with casting I would say go to the course with your son. I have a feeling that it's not only the price that you told him that turned him off but also the thought of doing it on it his own. When I went to my class I think there was 3 younger kids with their fathers.

Anyways, good luck!