My six weight dilemma...

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Ok, current situation; I have a zillion fly rods, but only a few I use regularly here in western Montana. I mostly use my Scott G904 unless I need more power, then my 905 Radian comes out. Streamers and nymphing for large trout I use my Echo 3, 10' six weight. My other good rods, 7.5' #3 Winston WT, 7'-9" 4-5 Sweetgrass Mantra, Scott original G906 are rarely used.

I recently got to cast a new Scott GS 885 and Sage 690X, and loved them both. Obviously very different rods, but the new Scott is clearly crisper than the original and G2 with much quicker recovery, and the Sage X bends deeper than the One or Method.

Like most of us, I don't really need a new rod, mostly looking for an excuse to get either a new X or GS. I just don't know where to fit this rod in with what I already have.

bob3700

Reaction score
John,
I would suggest u cast those two 6 wts against a 609 Radian and see what u think. I have not cast the Scott G but have spent a day with a 609 SageX. The Radian has more power down low vs the X. The X is a very nice deeper flexing rod than Radian. X mends nicely and provides good tip feel. The reel seat on the X doesnt reflect the overall quality of the rod.
If they didnt make a 609 Radian, I would have a 609 X.

bob3700

Reaction score
John,
I would suggest u cast those two 6 wts against a 609 Radian and see what u think. I have not cast the Scott G but have spent a day with a 609 SageX. The Radian has more power down low vs the X. The X is a very nice deeper flexing rod than Radian. X mends nicely and provides good tip feel. The reel seat on the X doesnt reflect the overall quality of the rod.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
John,
If I had to do it over again I'd get a 906 Radian and 885 GS.

mikechell

Reaction score
The answer is quite simple.

If you don't need a new rod, then don't buy one.
Spend the money and get a therapist to help you with this "I need more!" psychosis.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
All I will add is that it is much easier and far more pleasant to chuck streamers all day with a 9’ rod than it is with a 10’ rod.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Are you dissatisfied with your current 6 weight Echo 3 or the older Scott? Or just wanting something to complement them? It sounds like adding rods at this point will cause the problem of having too many options. I speak from experience. I have three 6 weights and sometimes have a hard time picking which one to take, along with a 5, 7, and 8 weight. Too many rods leads to indecision like having too many patterns in the fly box. I'd recommend not making the mistake I made and selling the two you have that you aren't happy with and getting something you really like, or even better, talking yourself into being content with the ones you already have so you don't have to go through the trouble. Maybe split the difference between your two 6 weights and get a 9'6" X. I'm very happy with my 9'6" 6 weight ONE and it'd be the keeper of my three if I ever got the determination to sell the others.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Are you dissatisfied with your current 6 weight Echo 3 or the older Scott? Or just wanting something to complement them? It sounds like adding rods at this point will cause the problem of having too many options. I speak from experience. I have three 6 weights and sometimes have a hard time picking which one to take, along with a 5, 7, and 8 weight. Too many rods leads to indecision like having too many patterns in the fly box. I'd recommend not making the mistake I made and selling the two you have that you aren't happy with and getting something you really like, or even better, talking yourself into being content with the ones you already have so you don't have to go through the trouble. Maybe split the difference between your two 6 weights and get a 9'6" X. I'm very happy with my 9'6" 6 weight ONE and it'd be the keeper of my three if I ever got the determination to sell the others.
My older G906 is a late 80s San Francisco that really works better as a five weight, it's a bit soft. As Seattle pointed out, the 10' Echo 3 is just too long. It cast great, but with the extra foot, the swing weight wears me out after a while. I would gladly trade both rods away for a quality nine foot six weight.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
The answer is quite simple.

If you don't need a new rod, then don't buy one.
Spend the money and get a therapist to help you with this "I need more!" psychosis.
How did the moderators let a rational person join the forum??

I know my post comes across as crazy to a normal person, but I thought this forum was for the helplessly obsessed.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
My older G906 is a late 80s San Francisco that really works better as a five weight, it's a bit soft. As Seattle pointed out, the 10' Echo 3 is just too long. It cast great, but with the extra foot, the swing weight wears me out after a while. I would gladly trade both rods away for a quality nine foot six weight.
Sell them and get the 961 or 967 X!

mikechell

Reaction score
How did the moderators let a rational person join the forum?��

I know my post comes across as crazy to a normal person, but I thought this forum was for the helplessly obsessed.
:laugh: Hardly rational. Just cheap and not a collector. I've got one or two "extra" rods that I don't use, but I only have them because they were on close-out or free. All the other fly rods I own are on my boat every outing.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
:laugh: Hardly rational. Just cheap and not a collector. I've got one or two "extra" rods that I don't use, but I only have them because they were on close-out or free. All the other fly rods I own are on my boat every outing.
I know I said zillions, but I really don't have near as many as most who post here. Like I said, two or three go-to everyday rods in my boat and another couple special rods my wife gave me as birthday presents. The rest are all my dad's rods and the old fiberglass rods I grew up with. They aren't worth anything yet I can't bear to get rid if them. Some day I'll pass them on to a family member, but nobody seems to want them.

mnigro

Reaction score
No sense hanging onto rods that aren’t sentimental or don’t get used/fill a gap. Sell them and buy the rod that you want. I don’t see a dilemma here?

So many good 6’s on the market now.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
My older G906 is a late 80s San Francisco that really works better as a five weight, it's a bit soft. As Seattle pointed out, the 10' Echo 3 is just too long. It cast great, but with the extra foot, the swing weight wears me out after a while.I would gladly trade both rods away for a quality nine foot six weight.
Well, there you have it.

Sell one or both, then get a 690 or 691 X and be happy.

huntschool

Reaction score
OK brother Scott guy....... take deep breaths and then go get the GS..... LOL

I have found myself in a "need a rod" situation recently. Its crazy but I think I need a 10' rod in about 6wt for "casting" junk on a 12' leader with split shot and an indicator. Its called heavy flow on some AR tailwaters.

Fished such a situation this past Monday and Tuesday and caught the heck out of really good fish (see my entry under Cold Water with pics). Those two days worked the heck out of my 8'8" 6wt G rod and me both. Due to the deep water we were on and the leader length etc it was a bugger getting the fish to the net. I did change to a 4wt 10' rod on Tuesday which helped but I felt like I needed a bigger hammer due to the depth and flow speed.

Your decision buddy.

ddb

Reaction score
A therapist will cost a helluva a lot more than new rod! And W/O the joy of using it to escape the cares of the world or finding out all the things you really did not want to know about yourself.

Best book I read in college -- yes we read books then -- was a little tome on understanding literature/poetry by the publisher Louis Untermeyer. In "A Defense of Ignorance", he argued persuasively that all efforts to find hidden meanings only killed the enjoyment in reading. I have found that attitude a sovereign balm against all kinds of nit picking experts/critics. I still reread Moby Dick and get more pleasure each time w/o the help of Freud.

ddb

coolhand

Reaction score
I'd look at a Radian, 9', #6. IMHO, it is the "sweet spot" in the Radian Series. I like it much more than I do the 9', #5.

Just to mix it up, I would throw in the idea of the Stickman T6, it is a fantastic, versatile, rod that has more 'personality' and 'feel' than the Radian. This rod has both power and touch. I don't know how Akos does it, but he has nailed every rod that he builds.

I personally, do NOT like the 690-4 X. The #4's and #5's are fine rods, but the 690 doesn't seem as dialed.

colonelklinkhammer

Reaction score
just bought an 88 5wt ge seies it should be at my door Tuesday along with a 9wt meridian. ive had a few 6 wts but have had the same 690 zenith for probably the longest ive had any one single fly rod in my life, im crazy about it and now I own a 590&510. each has its place with my 6 being the most versatile I can put a 175-200 grain sink tip and throw it as far as I want, chuck super heavy double nymph rigs or put on a 12ft 6x leader and fish size 22 dries ive done it all with that rod. it sure loves chucking big foam hoppers too, I cast the zephrus 510 and 690 next to both my zeniths and they are incredible rods but I still have to give the slight edge to the zenith and I think its because im partiel to it I feel like it an extension of my body.