New 6 Weight

billk

Reaction score
I am looking to pick up a new 6 weight. The rod will be used for nymphing or
beads with an indicator (thingamabobber) and some streamer fishing. Super long casts are not expected and this will not be a dry fly tool. Trout will hopefully be in the 16 to 22 inch range but I may run into some bull trout also.

I will not be able to test drive any rods beforehand.

Right now I am leaning towards a Radian? thoughts or other options?

Thanks

el jefe

Reaction score
I second the Radian...and the G. I have a 906 Radian, which is fantastic. Wanting to try the 906 G, but don't think that I need since I already have the Radian. There isn't much the Radian won't do. Generally, the new G series is medium-fast, yet very crisp (I have the GS 884). I don' know if I would have considered a 906 G2, but based on my experience with a G2 and GS in 884, I think the GS 906 would be a contender for your quest. It may just come down to the personality of the two rods, and the type of action you prefer. The Radian will do better in the wind, but you mentioned that long distance casts might not be necessary, which might point me toward the GS.

It is not an apples-to-apples comparison because my GS and Radian are different lengths and line weights, but taking some license here, the Radian is "fast with feel", while the GS might be considered "feel with fast" (or crispness), if that makes any sense.

el jefe

Reaction score
I second the Radian...and the G. I have a 906 Radian, which is fantastic. Wanting to try the 906 G, but don't think that I need since I already have the Radian. There isn't much the Radian won't do. Generally, the new G series is medium-fast, yet very crisp (I have the GS 884). I don' know if I would have considered a 906 G2, but based on my experience with a G2 and GS in 884, I think the GS 906 would be a contender for your quest. It may just come down to the personality of the two rods, and the type of action you prefer. The Radian will do better in the wind, but you mentioned that long distance casts might not be necessary, which might point me toward the GS.

It is not an apples-to-apples comparison because my GS and Radian are different lengths and line weights, but taking some license here, the Radian is "fast with feel", while the GS might be considered "feel with fast" (or crispness), if that makes any sense.

brownbass

Reaction score
I do not own a Douglas Sky in a 6 weight. I do own a DHF 6 weight I bought for just the reasons you stated. I have used it a fair amount and I am using it in a casting class and the more I use it the more I am impressed by it. The Sky was on the short list in a 5 weight when I was shopping for a new 5. S&S has compared the Sky to the Hardy Zenith, and I think he owns several Skys in a 5 and 9. Yellowstone Anglers 6 weight shootout gave the nod to the Sky and the DXF as best rods in that weight. I personally think they cast really well in the 5 weight configuration. If you can, give one a try.

Bill

Last edited:

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I bought the Radian 956 (9'6" 6 wt) to be my big water nymphing stick. I love for it for that, but I also discovered I love it just as much if not more for streamers. I recall fishing it along with a 7 wt (one rod had a floating line, the other a sink tip) and I actually thought the Radian 6 wt was more powerful/better at throwing streamers than the 7 wt. I've cast the Radian 906 and the GS 906 and think they're both terrific and for an all-arounder I'd probably go with a 9' rod, but for what you're describing as long the length isn't an issue (overhead trees, etc.) I think the 9'6" Radian would be ideal. I pair it with the Airflo Galloup Nymph Indicator line (that may not be the exact name), which I've found that though designed for nymphing is also a great streamer line.

el jefe

Reaction score
I bought the Radian 956 (9'6" 6 wt) to be my big water nymphing stick. I love for it for that, but I also discovered I love it just as much if not more for streamers. I recall fishing it along with a 7 wt (one rod had a floating line, the other a sink tip) and I actually thought the Radian 6 wt was more powerful/better at throwing streamers than the 7 wt. I've cast the Radian 906 and the GS 906 and think they're both terrific and for an all-arounder I'd probably go with a 9' rod, but for what you're describing as long the length isn't an issue (overhead trees, etc.) I think the 9'6" Radian would be ideal. I pair it with the Airflo Galloup Nymph Indicator line (that may not be the exact name), which I've found that though designed for nymphing is also a great streamer line.
What was your impression of the power and speed differences between the Radian 906 and GS 906?

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I have an original Scott 906/4 G series in very good condition I could be talked out of. I'm looking to buy either a new Sage X or GS.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
What was your impression of the power and speed differences between the Radian 906 and GS 906?
Unfortunately, I haven't cast either extensively nor have I cast them side-by-side. I cast the Radian 906 probably 2-3 years ago and the GS 906 earlier this year along with a bunch of others in the new GS series. All that said, based on what I recall about them I would say the Radian is more powerful. In terms of speed, as to the flex point, the GS flexes deeper but both have great tip recovery. If I was trying to decide which of the two to purchase I'd want to cast them side by side (and if possible fish them), but I suspect that in the 906 model I'd personally opt for the Radian. And though I don't have a GS, I have several, and am a big fan of, the original Gs and G2s.

billk

Reaction score
I have a 10ft 7 weight for steelhead, and a 9ft 6 weight IMX which always felt too stiff to me.
Something more moderate interests me.
Any comps between the radian and g 906 would be appreciated.

Thanks

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I have a 10ft 7 weight for steelhead, and a 9ft 6 weight IMX which always felt too stiff to me.
Something more moderate interests me.
Any comps between the radian and g 906 would be appreciated.

Thanks
I own two original G's and a Radian; G904/4, G906/4 and a 905 Radian. I've also fished my partner's 906 Radian and casted the new GS 885.

I think the deeper flexing G-G2-GS, would be the better nymph rod. The Gs and Radian are equally good for dry fly, with the Radian excelling at distance and windy conditions, while the G is great 15-45' in calmer weather. For streamer fishing I would take the Radian 906 over the G every day of the week.

That said, back in the 90s, Scott only made the G series (PowRply). For finesse you bought a four weight, all around a five and a six for bigger fish, bigger flies, bigger water. I've caught a lot of big fish in tough conditions on my 906 where today you would typically choose a faster rod.

akfred

Reaction score
I would like to through a few other options into the mix. I have not cast a G series rod but own a 906 radian. Six weight rods that I prefer include the Stickman T-6, the Loop Cross sx 906 and the Hardy Wraith 905. So much of rod selection is personal preference. The Radian 906 is a very nice rod but I personally prefer the others in the order given. The Douglas Sky as already suggested would likely also be a good choice. I have not cast the six weight but have a seven and eight and both are very nice rods for heavy fresh water or light salt water use.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
If an IMX is too stiff for the OP, an original G might be in order, but even an original G is quicker than a Winston IMX.

ejammer

Reaction score
I have the Douglas Sky in a 6 weight with fighting butt. I have used it for dries, nymphing, and streamer smallmouth fishing. It casts great, with touch even throwing size 20x dries. I have also cast the Radian and found it to be a wonderful casting rod. Both of these would be a great addition to your arsenal!

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I recommend trying out a 9'6" rod as well. I use a 9'6" #6 Sage One for big river nymphing, streamers, sink tips, smallmouth, but it gets a little dry fly use too. I can't recommend going longer on your nymphing rods highly enough, it
s been a game changer for me over the last couple of years. I also have a 9'6" #5 Sage Pulse that gets the nod when I'm wade fishing for trout. If I were to ever replace that rod, the Radian 9'6" 5 weight would be one of the first I'd look at.

I'd say stick with the Radian and try our the 9'6" 5 weight, the 9' 6 weight, and the 9'6" 6 weight and see what you like the best for the lines you'll be using and go with that.

billk

Reaction score
lots of good options here. Im going to have to let the info sink in. Im leaning towards the radian 9.5 ft 6wt but im concerned it may be a little fast.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
You really can’t go wrong with that Radian. I have lawn cast my G Series 906 but haven’t fished it yet. For where I fish I 9 foot medium action 5 or 6 weight works. I know the GS 906 is considered to handle nymph rigs and airlocks better. I owned a 905 Radian. I liked it but didn’t love it and sold it to purchase a different Scott. I hope you find what your looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timd

Reaction score
Coming to this late. I own the Radian 905 and the 956 and just cast the 906 Radian and the 9’ 6 GS side by side. Loved both rods but for an all rounder the GS would be perfect. Really an amazing rod in my opinion and would be a great mender and nymph rod along with drys of all sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The OP is looking for a 6 wt for nymphing and streamers. The OP is really the one who needs to figure out how all of the above fit together, but it sounds like the prevailing view of the Scott fans (and I count myself among them) is that as between the new G(GS) and the Radian (i) the new G, having a more moderate action, would be better for nymphing, and (ii) the Radian, being more powerful, would be better for streamers.

So, to the OP, perhaps you should consider which technique you intend to use more. If it's say 90% nymphing and 10% streamers, then the prevailing view (though not necessarily mine) would be to go the new G(GS). If it's 50/50 or close to it, it's obviously a tougher call. Now I've only cast the new G(GS) with a piece of yarn on a casting pool and so I don't know how it would handle a heavy indicator rig or a mid-sized streamer, but for the mentioned uses personally I'd go with the Radian (and in the 9'6" length)--of course, that's to be expected because that's the rod I chose for the same purposes, though when I bought my Radian the new G had not been introduced. A key benefit of a moderate rod (more open loops, so the nymph rig and heavy streamers won't get tangled) can be achieved with a stiffer rod by altering your stroke a bit, but if a rod lacks the power to turn over the big junk there's not a whole lot you can do. And I personally think the Radian mends fine, especially with the extra lnegth. Both rods are great, and there's not really a wrong choice. Choosing the right line to turn over the nymph rig/streamer will be important. It really would be best if you could cast them side-by-side to see if one just feels better, but I know you said it wouldn't be possible.

Anyway, for those who have experience with both the new G and the Radian, if the thought is that one rod is better for nymphing and the other for streamers, perhaps address which model does a better job at its "secondary function."

billk

Reaction score
Well, after much consideration, I made a left turn and ordered a Meiser 11ft 4 wt 2 hander. One of his new CX rods.

I wont be high sticking, I have a T&T euronymphing rod for that.

I have 2 other rods from him that I use for overhead casting, one for steelhead and one for saltwater fishing.

The 2 hander is so much easier on my squeaky right shoulder.

Thanks for all the great input. Now onto some dry fly rod shopping :)