Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Orvis Rod

Default Re: New Orvis Rod

lol. I see it ' no longer called a Label. Its a Quick Rod Identifyer. I'm still laughing.

Looks like fantastic cork. I'm not taking the mickey out of them for downplaying the label, I wish I could get one.

2. Default Re: New Orvis Rod

Quote Originally Posted by proheli View Post
    lol. I see it ' no longer called a Label. Its a Quick Rod Identifyer. I'm still laughing.

Looks like fantastic cork. I'm not taking the mickey out of them for downplaying the label, I wish I could get one.
    He's referencing the small number directly above the cork. Not the enormous "MISSION" label. The H3 rods have them too, at the base of the butt section where the label meet the cork.

Also, anyone notice the new Recon in the background of that video?

Quote Originally Posted by clouserguyky View Post
    He's referencing the small number directly above the cork. Not the enormous "MISSION" label. The H3 rods have them too, at the base of the butt section where the label meet the cork.

Also, anyone notice the new Recon in the background of that video?
    Yes, but all rods have their size listed, just not in a I-can't-remember-my-own-name type of fashion. Also, jftr, I don't mind the orivis billboard they put in their rods. It may not be classic, but then not everything in live is about classic.

4. Likes clouserguyky liked this post

may not be to everyones liking but orvis new labeling makes complete sense in this instagram world. how many rods do you see in pictures where youre not certain of what the make and model is? you see this huge bend in a rod and a fish splashing not too far away but have no idea what the rod is. between the various manufacturers and mostly darker colors a lot of the rods blend together. im pretty certain that with those labels even with the dark matte blank (like so many other rods), when you see a picture and that label above the cork you know its an h3 or mission rod. so when a person sees this picture gets inspired and wants to buy a rod goes to a fly shop and says "i want this rod..." showing the shop the picture, the shop will know instantly what the rod is. not sure you can do that with many other rods. how can you argue with that? whats the point of having the pros fishing your gear but not having it stand out in a crowd of pictures? you may not like the label but having the viewer of the instagram posts (and most likely on average younger than the forum members here and thus much much more valuable to orvis) know in the blink of an eye that the rod used to catch that 10lb bonefish was an h3 is priceless. not only is that exposure priceless, it comes at the cost of orvis selling the rod to the pro (or fly fishing influencer) for wholesale (or whatever the cost is). thats soooooo much more cost effective and efficient than an ad campaign. even if it doesnt suit me aesthetically, you cant find fault with the business scheme. and i bet in the coming years that you will see more and more of that from other rod manufacturers as companies try to stand out and differentiate themselves in a relatively crowded field with a relatively limited amount of discretionary $$ to go around. thats why orvis 50/50 campaign is so great as well. not only is it good politics and policy (which i am 1000% in support of) but they are trying to expand the client base. you may not like the looks of the product but the old naysayers here arent the target audience. for whats often perceived as an old school conservative company i think they have great business leaders and run a very very smart business.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123