Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ferrule Gap

1. Default Ferrule Gap

New to fly fishing and just purchased a Orvis TLS Power Matrix 9' 5wt. The ferrule gap between the butt and 2nd section is 3/4" while the others are at 1/2". Is that acceptable? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ferrule Gap

Hi & welcome to the forum,

Please explain what gap you refer to. I'm not clear on what you are asking but perhaps Orvis would be better suited to answer rather than taking my view as an answer.

Regards,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by redmiston View Post
    New to fly fishing and just purchased a Orvis TLS Power Matrix 9' 5wt. The ferrule gap between the butt and 2nd section is 3/4" while the others are at 1/2". Is that acceptable? Thanks
    To my understanding (rightly or wrongly) the 'gap' you're referring to is to allow for rod (male section) ware over time and a continued 'fit' between sections. The 1/2 inch doesn't sound out of line, but ..... 3/4 of an inch sounds excessive .. to put it mildly.

As Ard notes above, I'd check with Orvis on this one as it sounds like a 'miss-fit' between rod sections.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

4. Default Re: Ferrule Gap

Thanks for the replies. Everything that I have read states that the acceptable ferrule gap that is allowed on fly rods is 1/4"- 5/8" depending on the rod. I sent Orvis a email yesterday about the 3/4" gap and the reply was "Thank you for your email. That is completely acceptable and the rod will be absolutely fine to use." I will give them a call tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Makes sense, I had a Grey's Platinum X and the ferrules were about .5 or more out at each joint. Be sure to post after talking to Orvis.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

That is one of the ways to design a thin blank of that nature. For the taper to be consistant there is a need to "gaps" to smoth out the taper.