Older Redington CT vs Current Version?

haziz

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the older Redington CT (Classic Trout) with the red Cartouche around the Redington brand and the label of 'CT', and the current reissue of the Classic Trout?

ct-9054.jpg

ClassicTroutMacroShot.jpg

Images "borrowed" from the internet.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know a lot about Redington rods but...…… I'll guess that if you called the number for their headquarters someone could set you straight. What I think I know about many various rods is that as the years roll on they run out of blanks. Sometimes there have been improvements in technology or manufacturing methods which result in there being a first generation material and second generation graphite blanks.

I bought one of the new CT in 9 foot 6 weight as a gift for a woman that works with my wife recently. Just today I was out with her working on some basic casting skills to help her along. This experience demonstrated to me that the rod seems very good especially when considering the price of them.

In closing I would say that if you are thinking on one of the current generation rods I think they are a bargain.

Ard

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I believe it's the same rod, just rebranded. I had an old Redington Pursuit a few years ago, and they rebranded it entirely. Different name ("Path" now,) different color, etc. but the same rod according to them. I believe they rebranded the CT at that time too. They've redone all of their rods again since then though. I agree with Ard, give them a call. You'll get a real human with Redington!

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I love the CT. And I have a lot of top-of-the-line rods. If you're looking for a slower-action rod - though, to me, not that slow - you can't do better than a CT. I'm sure the new version is just as good.

Randy

haziz

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know. Many on this forum like the CT. The 7 1/2 3 wt would be a nice rod for panfish and trout in mountain streams.
I love the 7 ft 6 inch 3Wt! I just used it last weekend on the Swift river in Western Massachusetts. It could also handle a spirited fight by 16 and 19 inch Rainbow trout!

I just acquired a NOS older version of the CT in 9 ft 4wt at a good discount. I have the newer version in the 3wt, which is what got me wondering if there was any substatial difference between the generations.

el jefe

Reaction score
I think the CTs are all the same version. In fact, the Tempt was also the CT, just with a different name, which came in between the older and newer versions of the CT. I don't think the Tempt sold too well, and Redington figured it out pretty quickly and went back to what's proven.

J

joe_strummer

Don't know about old vs new, but I bought a 4wt 8'-6" CT recently. With an SA VPT, it's a nice medium action dry fly rod. It's not going to displace my BIIt, it'll be a client rod and loaner. When it ends up being the best option I have with me, which will happen, I won't mind fishing it.

c web

Reaction score
My CTs get more action than my other rods. I had a 9' 4 weight, old cartouche and I currently own and fish an 8'6" 3 wt and a 7'6" 3 wt with the new cartouche. I could not tell any difference in the rods action. My son has and fishes the 4 wt now.

I will say that I like 2 wt WF line on my 3 wts.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I think the CTs are all the same version. In fact, the Tempt was also the CT, just with a different name, which came in between the older and newer versions of the CT. I don't think the Tempt sold too well, and Redington figured it out pretty quickly and went back to what's proven.
el jefe touched on it.

The CT was discontinued for a short time. It became the Tempt under a new rod designer who slightly changed the rod. Knowing that the Ct was replaced by the Tempt, the hardcore CT fans went out and bought the Tempt thinking it was going to be a better rod. It wasn't. Sales were really down, and calls along with angry mail came in to Redington with very unhappy people.
Now don't quote me on this, but I believe I read this somewhere; the new designer was let go from the company. And I believe the Tempt was made in Mexico, but I could be wrong. But I do remember Mexico being mentioned. The rod came back to the USA and the new CT with the new look was reborn.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I was with you until the last part. The CT is not manufactured in the US, and hasn't been anytime recently. Many of us here have purchased CTs for under $70. The rod was on perpetual sale for years. About four of them at that price point in my case. Off topic but I know I have heard St Croix reps state they can't sell a rod profitably for much under $250 if they pay a fair US wage and benefit they provide their employees. It's just how it is. Rural WI wages aren't high so I assume this applies most anywhere in the US if the manufacturer wants their help to consider it an actual career and stick around like St Croix employees do (according to their website employee stats)

c web

Reaction score
^^^^+1

Both of my new Redngtons came with a big fat made in China sticker proudly displayed on the butt of the reel seat.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I was with you until the last part. The CT is not manufactured in the US, and hasn't been anytime recently. Many of us here have purchased CTs for under $70. The rod was on perpetual sale for years. About four of them at that price point in my case. Off topic but I know I have heard St Croix reps state they can't sell a rod profitably for much under $250 if they pay a fair US wage and benefit they provide their employees. It's just how it is. Rural WI wages aren't high so I assume this applies most anywhere in the US if the manufacturer wants their help to consider it an actual career and stick around like St Croix employees do (according to their website employee stats)
Your correct. When I said they brought it back to the US, I should have been more clear. They took it out of Mexico from what I understand and brought the old design that they developed here. It is made in China.

Sorry for the mix up from my words. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Your correct. When I said they brought it back to the US, I should have been more clear. They took it out of Mexico from what I understand and brought the old design that they developed here. It is made in China.

Sorry for the mix up from my words. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
No big deal Scotty. It's a good rod in any event. And I've read endless debates on whether the CT and Tempt were the same rod. The CT might sell decent for 5 more years so they should leave it alone IMO.

plecain

Reaction score
And I've read endless debates on whether the CT and Tempt were the same rod. The CT might sell decent for 5 more years so they should leave it alone IMO.
I was talking to someone at Redington about something else (Just how fast is the Redington CPX, anyway?)

During that call I asked about the just-released Tempt. He told me it was the same blank as the CT with a different label. I can't prove that's true, but that's what he said.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I was talking to someone at Redington about something else (Just how fast is the Redington CPX, anyway?)

During that call I asked about the just-released Tempt. He told me it was the same blank as the CT with a different label. I can't prove that's true, but that's what he said.
The broomstick CPX replacement of the very popular CPS. I hope they learned from that one. I hated my CPX more than any rod I ever owned. Calling rod manufacturers can be fruitful. St Croix had no problem telling me they keep changing the decals and paint on their entry level rods because they feel they got it about right 10+ years ago. :) Sorry for the off topic chatter. Now back to CT talk. :)

plecain

Reaction score
The broomstick CPX replacement of the very popular CPS. I hope they learned from that one. I hated my CPX more than any rod I ever owned. Calling rod manufacturers can be fruitful. St Croix had no problem telling me they keep changing the decals and paint on their entry level rods because they feel they got it about right 10+ years ago. :) Sorry for the off topic chatter. Now back to CT talk. :)
As a follow-up I got this email from Redington:

They (CPX) are true fast action rods and typically like a ½ size heavier line. Depending on your preference and casting style, they can be right on or you may need to go up a full size.
Back to CTs. I still have the original (old label) 7' 6" 2 wt. and 9' 0" 4 wt.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It's your fault we are still off topic. :) 1/2 size heavier line for the CPX? That would be funny if I didn't buy one. If you stick the rod in a bench vise you can make it will bend some I guess lol. Find three people that truly love their CPX and I'll buy you an icecream cone. :)

markfrid

Reaction score
I had a red labelled 9' 4wt that I gave to my brother to get him started back into fly fishing. But I missed it, so I got one of the new versions in the same specs and really can't tell any diff. The CT does not have an ultra-refined action, but it's pretty dang nice. It's not an heirloom rod, bedecked with the finest fittings jewelry. But man, it's a player. I've cast and fished some high dollar rods in that 9' 4-wt spec that would never get out of my closet if I had a CT to fish.

Mark