Scott GS 775

jrod88

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who has fished this rod? The 8'8" rods are getting a lot of love, but this rod I can't find much info on. I have been looking at this one since its release and have been tossing this and a fiberglass 4wt around.

I have an Orvis H2 and now an H3 in 9' 5wts, but when I fish creeks and go after pan fish specifically, I use my F2 663. I'm loving the 3wt, but want something with a little more oomph to throw pan fish oriented streamers with a bit more weight to them and the larger dries/hoppers.

el jefe

Reaction score
If you haven't already, check out Telluride Angler's review. Better yet, call them. They know their Scotts better than anyone except for...well, Scott.

jrod88

Reaction score
If you haven't already, check out Telluride Angler's review. Better yet, call them. They know their Scotts better than anyone except for...well, Scott.
That's pretty much the only thing out there on this rod.

el jefe

Reaction score
That's pretty much the only thing out there on this rod.
I'd recommend calling TA, then, to see if anyone there has fished it. I bought a rod from them yesterday, and Parker from TA talked with me on the phone about my purchase, providing more background than what can merely be read on their site. He asked some questions about what I wanted to do, what species I was targeting, where I wanted to do it, what other rods were in my quiver, etc. It really helped. Plus, he gave me some information about that line of rods that doesn't necessarily come out by reading the reviews.

mka

Reaction score
I'd recommend calling TA, then, to see if anyone there has fished it. I bought a rod from them yesterday, and Parker from TA talked with me on the phone about my purchase, providing more background than what can merely be read on their site. He asked some questions about what I wanted to do, what species I was targeting, where I wanted to do it, what other rods were in my quiver, etc. It really helped. Plus, he gave me some information about that line of rods that doesn't necessarily come out by reading the reviews.
You bought "a rod" from them? I'm guessing it was a Sage....:flypig:

el jefe

Reaction score
You bought "a rod" from them? I'm guessing it was a Sage....:flypig:
Every time I look up at my screen and I see that pig flapping its wings, I start laughing all over again.:lol2:

You'll be shocked--SHOCKED--to hear that it was a Scott, specifically a Meridian 907. Finally pulled the trigger on that one, after some discussion with one of the guys in the shop at TA. But I waited an extra day to see what the new Scott rod was going to be, as rumored here on this forum. When I saw it was a new F Series, I went for the Meridian (I already have a F2 703).

That new Sage Dart kind of has my attention, though...

el jefe

Reaction score
and ......?
It was actually on the Meridian series, and its freshwater applications and recommended lines. I was looking for a rod to blast streamers and some bass flies on lakes from the deck of a boat, with a few other more minor uses mixed in. The rod reviews on TA's site don't really talk about the freshwater uses for the Meridian. I found out that one guy there uses a Meridian 908 for pike and loves it, and I briefly thought about grabbing that one, but since I would go after big pike so infrequently that the 907 would probably be better for the smaller species I was targeting. He also had me consider a Radian 907, which could have worked well, too, but the way things fit into my rod lineup and intent for the rod, the Meridian was the slightly better choice.

mka

Reaction score
Every time I look up at my screen and I see that pig flapping its wings, I start laughing all over again.:lol2:

You'll be shocked--SHOCKED--to hear that it was a Scott, specifically a Meridian 907. Finally pulled the trigger on that one, after some discussion with one of the guys in the shop at TA. But I waited an extra day to see what the new Scott rod was going to be, as rumored here on this forum. When I saw it was a new F Series, I went for the Meridian (I already have a F2 703).

That new Sage Dart kind of has my attention, though...
I am SHOCKED...a Scott?????????? Just kidding...

Sounds like a fun way to go after big fish, I must say. I'm looking forward to some fish reports with the rod and some pictures of some big toothy fish you catch with that awesome rod. I don't have a saltwater rod per say, but an eight weight to throw a salt line and it's a blast to rocket that line a mile away. A nice change of pace from our small stream fishing and you're going to have fun with it, for sure!!!!

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'm hesitant to respond to the OP's question as I have not fished the 775, but I have cast it, albeit rather briefly. My recollection is that it felt stiffer than, and so quite different from, the other new Gs I cast, which were 8'8" and 9' models. Looking at the TA's review now, I'd say my recollection of the rod is pretty much in line with what they say about it. I was curious enough to want to cast it, but didn't spend a whole lot of time with it as I just didn't foresee spending $845 for it given the somewhat similar (length and wt) rods I already had and the waters I fish most often. Anyway, from what I recall I can't say that I disagree with TA's take. Hardly something to rely on I know. Hopefully you can track one down to cast, or at least get a more detailed opinion.

jrod88

Reaction score
WNC, finding one local is not likely. I remember trying to find my F2. Possibly doing a road trip with my wife this September and might "stumble" upon a shop up north. Outside of that I'd have to make a dedicated trip or hope there's a Scott demo. Stiffer wouldn't be such a bad thing if it allowed me to throw the smaller Rio Getters or other pan fish bugs/spiders.

Cookster

Reaction score
I would go to the horses mouth. Talk to Scott themselves. I have e-mailed them a few times and have always gotten quick replies for information.

info@scottflyrod.com
I had a reply from Scott about this rod. They said it would feel faster than my 884; and you can use a heavier line (MPX) if you let out 10-15 ft of line because that's where it loads for tossing bigger flies. I wonder if it would be the same if you up-lined any 4wt creek rod.

proheli

Reaction score
I had a reply from Scott about this rod. They said it would feel faster than my 884; and you can use a heavier line (MPX) if you let out 10-15 ft of line because that's where it loads for tossing bigger flies. I wonder if it would be the same if you up-lined any 4wt creek rod.
I like your question. I've asked myself a similar version of that several times before. Not making a thread or post, but just going over it in my head. Most recently I tested a 4wt trout on a 3wt rod where I was also trying a 3.0 weight and 3.5 front load biased MPX. In my head I said, that 4 wt Trout might be perfect. In reality, after 30 feet it was just too much. And even after a few feet it just made the rod lose its sweetness. My conclusion is that a guy might do what you said, but there are a lot of variables that make it hard to predict the end result.

Last edited:

Oregonipa

Reaction score
For what it's worth; for years I've fished an MPX #4 on my Scott G2, 7'7" 4wt and feel like it can do just about everything. Really a nice all around combo.

amoscone

Reaction score
But I waited an extra day to see what the new Scott rod was going to be, as rumored here on this forum. When I saw it was a new F Series,
New Scott F-Series coming out? Do you have a link? Would love if they were about to release a 703 FS. I can't find any info on that though

Gone Castin’

Reaction score
I am using the AirFlo Universal Taper WF5 on the 775. Great taper for that rod. Fished a size 8 SlumpBuster with it. Worked great!
Does it load fine with little line out? I’m mostly concerned that the gently tapered lines (for lack of better words) won’t cast bigger stuff well at short distances.