Dougas SKY 9'/#4 & Nexus Reel

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
While there are long established makers whose rods I have I have enjoyed and relied upon for decades, I have a passion for new companies striving to make a reputation for themselves with quality products. I've been aware of Douglas Outdoors virtually since their inception in that I have been aquatinted with their rod designer, Fred Contaoi, for almost two decades, appreciating projects he has previously worked on, he is talented and smart. Once perfected, Douglas plans on building rods in their own sophisticated rod shop upstate New York, the first such facility built from scratch in the US in years. This is an exciting prospect I eagerly anticipate. For the time being their rods and Nexus reel are produced by S. Korea's premier shop while their in-house designed Argus reel is machined at home in New York.

W18 003 Rod Rack s.jpg

I have fished several of their rods and been impressed by all of them from Deep flexing 8'8"/#4 Upstream on a little spring creek to 9'/#9 SKY on Biscayne Bay. This season in Idaho though is the first time I have fished SKY in its 9'/#4 configuration. With so many Western rivers flowing high and off-color from unusually heavy snowpack and a pattern of persistent thunderstorms, the great Henry's Fork, immune from such influences was our home river for almost two weeks. Few large rivers emphasize the prerequisite for precise, delicate and articulate presentation as does the Fork, the worlds largest spring creek. High performance 9'/#'s 4 and 5-weights are standard issue on this river and an informal survey of anglers' trucks and campers in the Rail Road Ranch parking lot is like visiting a huge, sophisticated fly shop. Henry's Fork rods are called upon to generate high line speed, smooth and tight loops at all distances and reels must assist in bringing hard running, jumping wild rainbows to hand. My new Douglas SKY outfit felt right at home.

W18 007 Douglas SKY#4 s.jpg

Sky #4's action is progressive but quick, perhaps the faster end of medium fast. There is enough flex in the tip section to never be perceived as stiff but surely not soft enough to induce any tip bounce form counter-flex oscillation, quick recovering and full of feedback. It smoothly transitions into a mid section that is supportive to the tip and intuitive to load. Finally, the lower taper has lots of reserves of power to enable distance casting more frequently associated with heavier line weight rods. And it is well appointed with Fuji's advanced, angled, Torzite stripping guide and US nickel titanium, single foot Recoils. Its twin reel seat lock rings have an imbedded polymer washer to assure a snug, never jamming fit. Its matt gunmetal finish is echoed in the reel seat hardware which also features a perfect anodization match with the Nexus reel. The reel seat's spacer is complexly burled hardwood. A handsomely finished, cosmetically understated rod with good cork bracketed front and rear with a brace of durable cork composite rings. The craftsmanship is not paint deep, the blank is straight with minimal spline, tracks true with zero bias and the taper transitions are smoothly predictable as well.

I don't know the weight of this rod only that it feels very light and balanced in hand. As is increasingly frequent as reels become skeletonized and lighter, this 4-weight is best balanced with Nexus 5/6 rather than 3/4 which also affords about a 125 yard 20# Dacron backing capacity. I fished two lines successfully on SKY, Cortland's 1/2 heavy long belly, long rear taper, Modern Trout and slightly lighter RIO Gold. This SKY's seamless taper transitions, light weight, accessible power above average for a 4-weight and crisply communicative feel render it a delight to fish. Not merely optimal for the PMD hatches on the Henry's Fork but a valuable compliment to my overall trout kit.

SKY 9'/#4 is priced at $696, a high performance to price value.

omas

Reaction score
When I requested a "quick" review of this rod earlier today, I should have know you would have had a very in-depth and complete review "locked and loaded".
Thank you.

Last edited:

myt1

Reaction score
sweetandsalt,

Is that the Loch Ness monster in the background of your second photo?:)

Very nice review. You are obviously a very skilled fisherman.

I will definitely be considering Douglas next time I purchase a rod.

Do they make a good saltwater seven weight?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
sweetandsalt,

Is that the Loch Ness monster in the background of your second photo?:)

Very nice review. You are obviously a very skilled fisherman.

I will definitely be considering Douglas next time I purchase a rod.

Do they make a good saltwater seven weight?
It is a weed bed with a rock at it's head. Current funnels like this on the Fork often attract a few fish to establish lies. I once sat on the louch awaiting Nessie but she was off on another task and need not surface too often.

Where I to make a list of 9'/#7 current flats rods, the two best I've fished recently have been the T&T Exocett and Douglas SKY. I would add Sage X, Stickman T7, Loomis Asquith and dare I mention, Winston Air Salt?

ibookje

Reaction score

Great review S&S!
I’ll have to try this rod soon.

What I don’t like in these new rods are all the ‘high tech’ accents like skeleton seats, plastic inserts, too much composite cork, etc.

The seat of the new Scott G series freaks me out too.
Maybe I’m just a traditionalist....

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Re: Dougas SKY 9'/#4 & Nexus Reel

The seat of the new Scott G series freaks me out too.
Maybe I’m just a traditionalist....
Totally agree. The new Gs cast so nicely I could certainly get past it, but it looks to Radian-like to me. I can appreciate that it's always difficult to update a classic (if you made it exactly the same, then there would be nothing to update after all), but I wish they had chosen something that looked more like the G2 seat. Also not nuts about the color they chose for the new F series. Looks like something Sage would offer and of course a lot like the Epic salsa--nothing wrong with either of those companies (I have or have had rods made by each of them), I just think the orange is too much of a departure from the yellow, brown, black, yellow lineage of the F/F2 series.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Re: Dougas SKY 9'/#4 & Nexus Reel

There is nothing wrong with traditionalist aesthetics. Scott was the first, to my knowledge, to popularly use composite cork rings back in the late 70's...and still do. Many makers now use them decoratively; Burkheimer tastefully. T&T uses it in the forward area of some of their saltwater rods for durability and a firmer feel. SKY too blends decoration with functional chip resistance by placing a ring fore and aft. The skeletonized seat on both SKY and the Scott does incase a nice traditional bit of burl and this SKY seat is as positive as the come, no loosening nor jamming...as opposed to traditional nickel silver seats that can deform and jam.

ibookje

Reaction score
Making rods fool proof is probably one of the reasons. I handle my gear with extreme care as I want to keep them as mint as possible. :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
S&S, thanks for the review. How does it compare to your 9’ 4wt NRX?
On this recent trip I had NRX 9'/#5 and Ignitor 9'/#5. In the past it might have been NRX with ONE. Or ONE with Zenith. Same with 4-weights though my 8 1/2'/#4 ONE with NRX 9'/#4 offers more diversity. I like, besides requiring a back-up on a month long trip, to field rods with differing characteristics...not necessarily one being better than the other, rather complementary. I try not to fish any rods that are not first rate performers. I suspect if all of us on this thread got together on a big lawn with beer and SKY, NRX, Avantt, X, Asquith, Radian, H3D, Air and more we would fail to agree that one was a clearly superior rod.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Thanks for the review S&S, that sound like a great contender for the way I like to fish.

Two questions that may be a bit of a thread jack, so I apologize in advance.

You were talking about trying that Cortland Modern Trout line on a rod we have in common — The Scott S3 9 ft. 4 wt. Just curious if you have tried that combination and if so how it cast compared to Rio Gold.

The other question is whether you tried out the spring creek we discussed a while back on your recent trip.

Okay, back to our regular programming.

Thanks again,

Don

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
SKY's are more accessible and less strictly specialized than other rods I fish like Sage's ONE. They are still highly capable and I'm surprised they are not more popular than they are. Douglas's expert recommended SA MPX for it so I thought, "Here is my opportunity to try Modern Trout, 1/2 heavy like MPX but a far better taper. I actually like the Cortland line a lot and did fish it in 5-wt. but the SKY preferred Gold. I have not had the opportunity to try it on the 9'/#4 S3 but it could surely be a candidate. No, I did not make it to southern Idaho but that area beckons in the future.

omas

Reaction score
I don't know how popular Douglas Sky are, but I can tell that very few used ones hit the ebay market. I have a list of rods that I check on ebay daily and I hardly ever see and used Sky and it has been like that for months.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't know how popular Douglas Sky are, but I can tell that very few used ones hit the ebay market. I have a list of rods that I check on ebay daily and I hardly ever see and used Sky and it has been like that for months.
I have no idea what SKY sales are like, informally, saying howdy to folks walking the banks of the Fork, I saw none but mine. A Scott or Loomis now and then but mostly Sages (OK, Dillon and I had Sages too). There is an evolutionary relationship between SKY and Hardy's Zenith...similar materials, fabricated in the same S. Korean shop and some personnel and design concept overlap. When Zenith was introduced, I got two of them and liked them a lot. They didn't sell many though. Hardy not know for rods but rather reels on our shores? Too costly for an overseas built rod? Then Hardy, responding to customer requests for a more traditional wood spacer seat, did an in-line change and discounted the Zeniths with the original seat...at a bargain price they sold like hotcakes and folks loved them and still do. The Hardy of Zenith went out of business, sold to a corporate entity. Douglas is in it for the long haul. SKY is a genuine contender and for anyone who loved Zenith like me, SKY is smoother and more refined without giving up the power, perhaps upping it some.

ibookje

Reaction score
My guess is that the sales of Sky is just low. Even though it gets some good PR like Yellowstone Angler’s shoot out. Same goes for other brands like Hardy and Loop.

It’s probably the limited availability at shops as well as the price being above $500. People who fetch out that kind of money tend to stay with safe(?) brands like Sage.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Douglas like T&T is slowly expanding its fly shop presence; I observed Frontier Anglers in Dillon, MT has become a dealer. However, I think you are correct that a fly fisher might think heck, this cost 7 bills, why not go to 9 and get Sage, Winston or whatever established brand. This is why we emphasize here, comparative test cast before you buy. Regarding Yellowstone Shootouts, due to Andersons obvious biases and clumsy writing style, I don't think he has a lot of credibility among high end rod costumers...he does assist in justifying inexpensive rod buyers decisions though. "Hey, my Chinese fake Fenwick is better than a Sage!"

brownbass

Reaction score
The fly shop I frequent the most deals all of the major brands and Hardy and Douglas but you see more people trying out Sage, Orvis, and Scott. I had to ask if they had Loomis in stock. They have them in the catalog and online not on the rack. I have cast the Sky and the Hardys and compared to all the other name brand they measured up very well against them. Not being American made may hold them back in the marketplace.

Bill

omas

Reaction score
In my post, I was not trying to suggest the Douglas Rods were not popular, by rather whatever the number of rods they are selling (high or low sales volume), it seems to be that they are being held on to by the original owners. Whenever the new "latest and greatest" rod comes out, there is a rush of people buying these rods, and then a few months later you see some of them showing up on ebay. Wish Douglas Rod every success. I also wish they had a distributor in my area so I could test cast some, because I am one of those people that loved the Hardy Zenith.

ibookje

Reaction score

We are so into conservation these days but what about adding all those gear on the pile by buying new gear?...
What does a new rod add at the end? 6.8ft more distance?

And is buying stuff from the local fly shop the only way to keep its doors open? There has to be another solution for it...