Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  83
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sage Igniter vs Sage Method

Quote Originally Posted by loomis303 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, would a 9 foot 6 weight Iginiter be a suitable rod for NZ (wind, double nymph with indicator, dry fly dropper) or would I need a more friendly/ softer tip?
    In my opinion, you'd be better off with the X. Presentation is EVERYTHING in NZ. The 6wt line will handle the wind and weight of the rig- but it has to land soft and turn over a long leader. The 6wt Igniter is a stiff model within the lineup (I own the 6,7 and 9)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Likes clouserguyky liked this post
  3. Default Re: Sage Igniter vs Sage Method

Does any one have experience with the 9wt and or 10wt Igniter? Even is its just casting behind a fly shop, i'm interested to hear some opinions.

4. Default Re: Sage Igniter vs Sage Method

Cast the 9 this weekend on a lawn with Rio flats pro line. It’s a cannon.

At a Flyshop open house, I cast (back-to-back) a bunch of 9 wt. rods. First was a Meridian, then a Salt HD and finally a Sage Igniter. Both Sage rods felt heavy compared to the Meridian. They also had a heavier felt swing wt. All were more than capable of long casts but both Sage rods would wear me out if I have to cast them all day. I purchased the Meridian. For me, it was hands down, the better of the three. Meridian provided more feel under 40 ft. and cast the longer distances with little effort.

For me Sage with latest lines models move to the Scott direction of casting profile (X, HD, Ignitor) and I do not like it. Why I need one more Scott ? There is already one on the market.
    Yes, Sage could improve their old models, just why copy other maker.
    Meridian, and other Scotts, lighter and have better swing weight, but that is not the only thing is important in the rod. Always have had various Sage rods, but seems now time to move to other brands (Orvis, Hardy, Loomis ???)

BTW, also surprise how many overload Method, for me it just kills all good properties of this model.

Quote Originally Posted by camren View Post
    Does any one have experience with the 9wt and or 10wt Igniter? Even is its just casting behind a fly shop, i'm interested to hear some opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro View Post
    Cast the 9 this weekend on a lawn with Rio flats pro line. It’s a cannon.
    I have the Igniter 9wt. Yes, it will rip a 100 foot cast off pretty easily. I don’t find it to be heavy whatsoever. Scott Meridian may be a bit easier to cast, but I think an advanced caster will get more out of the Igniter. I consider myself an intermediate caster and it isn’t problematic for me. IMO, it’s the quintessential Permit rod, and would be perfect for juvenile tarpon in lagoons. I have Flats Pro on the reel at the moment, but I’m interested in trying it with Rio Direct Core Bonefish, and especially SA Amplitude Bonefish textured. I think the SA will be a perfect line. From what I have seen, the textured lines cast better after a day in the salt. The smooth lines need some regular cleaning to keep them from wanting to get sticky.

8. Likes fly2field liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by camren View Post

Also, I have heard great things about the 10 weight. I believe one of the international members here has one he built from a blank, and he raves about it.

I have the Salt HD 10. I like , it’s a powerful rod and will fight fish, but I do imagine the Igniter would be a lighter 10 that is just as powerful.

Steveid, what will make you choose Igniter over Method in 9 weight ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peled View Post
    Steveid, what will make you choose Igniter over Method in 9 weight ?
    Nothing in particular. I’m sure a 9wt Method would be awesome as well. The closeout Methods were gone when I was in the market. I bought an Igniter, spent some time casting it and loved it. I had the 7 weight Igniter (incredible rod) already, so I was just adding another from the line. If it’s a half measure slower than a Method like some seem to believe, I’m fine with it. I want all the power I can get on a windy permit flat, and the Igniter has plenty. If a guy wanted a Method, he would be well suited with that as well. I do believe Sage made advancements to make the Ultra-Fast series more user friendly and lighter, but I can’t say that for certain with both 9 weights. .

Realistically, the Igniter is probably easier to cast. A 60 foot cast is laughable. It started to feel like a short range cast. The first time I cast it I had a 12 foot, 16lb leader with a crab pattern of some sort tied on it with the hook cut at the bend. Leader turnover was incredible, and 100 feet was very doable for me.

12. Likes fly2field liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by steveid View Post
    Nothing in particular. I’m sure a 9wt Method would be awesome as well. The closeout Methods were gone when I was in the market. I bought an Igniter, spent some time casting it and loved it. I had the 7 weight Igniter (incredible rod) already, so I was just adding another from the line. If it’s a half measure slower than a Method like some seem to believe, I’m fine with it. I want all the power I can get on a windy permit flat, and the Igniter has plenty. If a guy wanted a Method, he would be well suited with that as well. I do believe Sage made advancements to make the Ultra-Fast series more user friendly and lighter, but I can’t say that for certain with both 9 weights. .

Realistically, the Igniter is probably easier to cast. A 60 foot cast is laughable. It started to feel like a short range cast. The first time I cast it I had a 12 foot, 16lb leader with a crab pattern of some sort tied on it with the hook cut at the bend. Leader turnover was incredible, and 100 feet was very doable for me.
    Thank you for sharing the experience !

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast