Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  83
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sage Igniter vs Sage Method

The regrettable matter is, reps and shop clerks make recommendations that are not always entirely appropriate. Full size heavy Grand is not the line for either Method, Ignitor or ONE and going to an 8-wt. Gold on a #7 is like overlining by 1.4 weights, not the best idea for precision oriented rods regardless if they "handle" it of not. For trout size Method and Ignitor an IT Gold of the rod specified size is optimal for loading near and far though these rods are not really designed for close in work. For the heavier line sizes, new DirectCore Bonefish is just fabulous.

It is an old song that casting a heavy line allows the caster to "feel" the load more easily at the expense of dulling and even counter-flexing the tip achieving heavy, clumsy presentation. This series of super high line speed, maximum performance rods are not and never have been through their evolution been intended for normal casting/fishing...they are extreme, highly specialized rods for when each cast is critical.

2. Likes fly2field, brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

S&S, I agree with you totally on the up lining of rods so severely. I want to know what a rod feels like with the same weight line it was designed to fish with. Unless I am actively shopping rods I don't usually bother the shop guys with a request to try a rod unless they don't appear to be busy, So I hit all of the shop demo days and some of the rods just seem to be miss-matched to the line they have them rigged with. Usually a line weight heavy for that rod. Not all but some, Often the faster rods like the Method or saltwater rods.

Bill

I think one of the big, missing pieces of information in these line debates is what distance one intends to fish at. That should first determine rod choice, but the line can affect the practical distance at which a rod fishes. For instance, the Method and Igniter would sound to be intended to be fished at a longer distance. If you want to fish them at a shorter distance, overlining them makes sense. If you want to fish them at their designed-for distance, then it does not make sense to overline them. Fishing a Method at 20' is like teeing off with a driver on a par three; you can make it work, but it won't be much fun and you won't think much of that rod. The first criteria that ought to be considered when purchasing a rod is at what distance does one intend to fish. You can overline to compensate for fishing a long distance rod at shorter distances. So for the guys who suggest that overlining a rod takes away the crispness of the tip and causes it to collapse, they are very likely right, at the distances they fish the rod. The guys who say that same rod is just too stiff and won't load up are also very likely right, at the distances they fish the rod. Ed Jawaroski wrote a great piece on this not too long ago. It's about the weight outside of the tip, which is directly related to the distance of line out of the tip, given the same line taper/weighting. The problem with these discussions is that the answerer of the question is basing his answer his own fishing distances, and not the fishing distance of the questioner on which the question is based. Unfortunately, the questioner typically doesn't offer up this piece of information, and the answerer typically doesn't seek it, so we end up having a debate between two people who aren't talking about the same thing and don't realize it.

I think there is a tendency out there to by a rod because of marketing, buzz, because it casts further than any other rod in the parking lot and makes you more popular with the ladies, whatever, and you end up buying the wrong rod for the wrong reasons, and then try to fit it to your fishing situation with line customization (i.e., over/underlining), trying to put the proverbial square peg in the round hole.

5. Likes fly2field, mike_r liked this post

el jefe, It is no doubt true that a rod to be fished primarily in close may benefit from a different size or taper of line, note RIO's new Creek taper. However, this thread is about Ignitor and Method; nobody is looking at these rods for short shots unless they just must have a rod in these colors for the ladies' approval.

7. Likes brownbass, fly2field liked this post

I've been wanting a Method for years and have been waiting for them to be discounted. I finally picked up a 690-4 (no FB - I'm not a fan of FB for my trout work except my Xi3 I use for my streamer work) to toss large dries to cruising trout. It will replace the 690-4 ONE in my quiver for this work, which will still be in play - just not for this application. I just can't drop $1000 on a rod... Perhaps an Ignitor in 4 years or so lol..

9. Likes brownbass, mtbright liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
    I've been wanting a Method for years and have been waiting for them to be discounted. I finally picked up a 690-4 (no FB - I'm not a fan of FB for my trout work except my Xi3 I use for my streamer work) to toss large dries to cruising trout. It will replace the 690-4 ONE in my quiver for this work, which will still be in play - just not for this application. I just can't drop $1000 on a rod... Perhaps an Ignitor in 4 years or so lol..
    Congrats on your new rod, I have the 691 it is a great rod. I actually really like the fighting butt, I wish I could find a five wt with a fighting butt.

I also ordered a method 796, very happy that I could find the 9'6" going to use it up in Oregon once we buy our property, as we going to start spending more time up there. Also want to try some surf fishing with it.

Matt

I too regard my Method 9'/#6 (no butt) as brilliant and equally so my same size NRX which does have a butt. I think the Loomis Streamdance GLX Max did have a butt on the #5, a fast rod. Some makers, T&T comes to mind, would custom build a #5 like Avantt with a butt on special order. And, chi, you may have to wait 5 years for Ignitor to be replaced. And, while Ignitor may be a tad more progressive in taper than Method, anyone who suspects it may have gone soft in the tip should go cast one.

12. Default Re: Sage Igniter vs Sage Method

Sage makes the X in a 5 wt with a fighting butt. 591-4

13. Likes mtbright liked this post

Count this guy as impressed.

15. Thanks coho52 thanked for this post
    Likes fc1955 liked this post

I liked his last comment: "Oh crud. This is going to be expensive." I'm guessing he won't be the only one saying that.

And here's another review from Ole Florida Fly Shop with one of their casting instructors; some discussion of line, double hauls, and use.

Last edited by coho52; 08-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast