Sage Igniter vs Sage Method

brokeoff

Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is? They both sound like great wind rods for the flats. I don't know much about anything but will go out on a limb and say that the Method in 7, 8, and 9 wts are classic rods (at least for the purpose of driving a fly through the wind). So is the Igniter an improvement or does it still need to prove itself.

dr d

Reaction score
hi "brokeoff",

behind demi - closed doors their are rumors that igniter is better in close ,a little slower in action and power - may be

due to hd konnetic : less resin and more carbon fibre (no helix,no bihelix for compensation).

this are some collected thoughts of longtime "sagers" and industry...

have a nice week.

thomas

coho52

Reaction score
Is Igniter just Method HD?
I don't think it would be as narrow a difference as that. When X came out, people asked if it was just One HD - it wasn't. Different performance objectives together with new materials and build gave us the terrific X. I'm guessing it will be, as Dr D noted, a bit easier loading in close and a somewhat refined action from Method.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm only able to compare Ignitor #5 with my existing Method #6. So Method has a tad more power but is also a line size heavier so... Ignitor does seem a little more progressive with a small amount more tip flex but surely nothing remotely soft. I really will need to cast the #'s 7, 8 and 9 to form any reasonable opinion but for the angler seeking a drift boat long distance presenter, Ignitor #5 is for you. Oh and both my Method and this new Ignitor like RIO Gold so this is not one of those 5-weights that is really a 6.

dillon

Reaction score
The thing I like about the new sage rods like the X and the Ignitor is the opportunity to purchase the rods they replaced at a discount. I bought two Sage Ones after the X was announced and now I have the Method 9 ft 5wt in mind as a compliment to My 9ft 5 wt one. It would come in handy on those frequent windy days. I'm not going to shell out high dollar when these great rods are available for what I consider a resonable price. I like nice stuff but I'm not made of money... I've cast the igniter and it's nice, but the method is too.

Last edited:

dragless

Reaction score
Dillon nailed it...Method at the sale price is awesome.
I just cast my TCX and it is awesome too...fished the 904 One all last week in Idaho/Montana- it was awesome.
You can spend a lot of coin always chasing the cutting edge,but hard to justify when the current generation is pretty damn good.

brokeoff

Reaction score
When a company produces a dud of a rod and then comes out with something great is seems like it would be worth the new coin. But when a company produces an all star I think it’s hard to justify buying its successor.

I bought the 8 and 9 wt Asquiths because I had never touched an NRX (well maybe once when I first started fishing). I absolutely love the Method so unless the Igniter is better in the wind, can pick up more line, and give me tighter loops then I think the Method might be the way to go, between the two.

I didn’t really want to hear that it is a tad slower and more progressive.

coho52

Reaction score
We're all speculating to some degree - except S&S who's gotten to cast an Igniter. Hopefully as the rod is released next month, we'll start to get some reviews and opinions. Then, the real debate can begin.

bob3700

Reaction score
Dillon and S&S,
Picked up a 7wt. Method on closeout. Loking for this rod to be a Missouri river, wind defeating rod for indicator or medium streamer fishing.

Bass fishing on my pond, i have an 8 wt. bass taper that the rod really throws well. Is the Gold a good line for trout in the wind?

What line would u recommend for the Method? Over line with an 8 wt or gold in a 7 wf.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Is Igniter just Method HD?
Perhaps what the OP meant was that the Igniter might be the rod Sage meant to make instead of the Method....like The Salt HD was the rod they meant to make instead of the Salt (if you get my drift)..both the Salt and the Method are stiff rods,in fact I understand that the Method is Sage's fastest offering,so a more tempered Method with perhaps more mid-section punch might just be the ticket.Meanwhile,IMHO the 691-4 Method is a cherry Bonefish rod.

bob3700

Reaction score
It is hard to judge "New and Improved" today. There are some things that are just right as rain and the marketing folks have got to convince us that the new product is what we have to have.

That is what keeps Harvard MBA employed! Just a thought.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
bob, yes & yes. But even if I were tossing big bulky late season hoppers or a streamer, I would not want to overline these rods, why mess with their crisp tips? My Sage SALT#9 though is overlined with RIO Permit #9, a full size heavy line, so really a #10.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
S&S -

Would you say the 5wght Igniter would replace your 6wght method? I have the 586X for my medium/small rivers but need/want something for big water, out of a boat dry fly rod. I have a 6wght I love to use for my streamers, so more of a dedicated dry fly rod for bigger water...

Thanks

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No matter how much power is designed into a rod, the mass of a 6-weight line will perform some tasks that stress a 5-weight. Drilling a big brown drake spinner at dusk, accurately onto a seam at distance can likely be done with my new Ignitor...I know for a fact Method #6 does it with aplomb. Still, in a roll as a drift boat dry fly rod Ignitor #5 excels.

bob3700

Reaction score
I am hoping the 7 wt. Method I just picked up will be an ideal rod for those windy days throwing dry droppers. My 6wt. BIIIx was marginal on the Missouri when serious wind kicked up. We wore our guide out rowing us into some good spots against the wind.
Also see it as a rod for larger bass in the local lakes I fish.

I have an 8 wt Bass line that throws hi drag bass rigs marvelously.

Will go to the local Flyshops n try casting Rio Gold in a 7 and 8 wt. line, n see which would work best for dry dropper rigs.

czando

Reaction score
No matter how much power is designed into a rod, the mass of a 6-weight line will perform some tasks that stress a 5-weight. Drilling a big brown drake spinner at dusk, accurately onto a seam at distance can likely be done with my new Ignitor...I know for a fact Method #6 does it with aplomb. Still, in a roll as a drift boat dry fly rod Ignitor #5 excels.
Surprised S&S had not embraced the Asquith series of rods more.....he knows the 5 has no equal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seattlesetters

Reaction score
I am hoping the 7 wt. Method I just picked up will be an ideal rod for those windy days throwing dry droppers. My 6wt. BIIIx was marginal on the Missouri when serious wind kicked up. We wore our guide out rowing us into some good spots against the wind.
Also see it as a rod for larger bass in the local lakes I fish.

I have an 8 wt Bass line that throws hi drag bass rigs marvelously.

Will go to the local Flyshops n try casting Rio Gold in a 7 and 8 wt. line, n see which would work best for dry dropper rigs.
The 6wt METHOD will do all you ask ... easily. The 7wt will throw a 4” Clouser with massive dumbbell eyes from Florida to the Bahamas using just about any 7wt line. The redhead ain’t too picky.

What 8wt are you planning on trying those lines on?