Need a 3wt recommendation for Abel TR1

tex68w

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Abel TR1 out of Steve's personal collection. I plan to pair it with a 3wt rod to use for crappie, panfish and the occasional small trout. I am not talking entry level rods here, but I don't want to drop $900 either. Let's hear some suggestions.

sgp

Reaction score
SAGE Little One 382 on closeout.

Beautiful small stream rod.

bob3700

Reaction score
Look around for a Sage 389 Circa. You would be hard pressed to find a better 3 wt. rod. It will take a lot to wipe the smile off your face after fishing your favorite bluegill pond.

It is a slow action but plenty of power and precise as all get out. A big bluegill will put a nice bend in that rod and just hang on!

Bob

ddb

Reaction score
First question I know of about matching a rod to a reel! Usually the other way around.

I'd say take the lined up reel to a bunch of 3 wt rods and test cast if you can. A buddy with a closet full? A well stocked shop? A fly fishing show?

The ideal end game is a properly balanced outfit that feels like an extension of your arm, casts great, and looks nicer than "a school marm's leg" as the old timers said.

ddb

mka

Reaction score
That reel would look "killer" on a Scott G2 reel seat. Surely there is one on a closeout price somewhere...

tex68w

Reaction score
Wow, so many options! I am currently leaning heavily towards giving the Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 3pc. a try, the only drawback is they list a ship date of early November on the 3wt.

dennyk

Reaction score
Wow, so many options! I am currently leaning heavily towards giving the Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 3pc. a try, the only drawback is they list a ship date of early November on the 3wt.
Prior to getting my Flex that was the rod I wanted. None were available, so it worked out great for me anyhow.

Denny

jspfishing

Reaction score
Holy cow! Why such an expensive outfit for a 3wt? I was just using a $25 eagle claw 3wt glass rod for brook trout and it did the job way above my expectations and had a blast.

tex68w

Reaction score
Holy cow! Why such an expensive outfit for a 3wt? I was just using a $25 eagle claw 3wt glass rod for brook trout and it did the job way above my expectations and had a blast.
I am guessing that with logic like that you must drive a Ford Pinto or Yugo?!

photoguy

Reaction score
No personal experience but I've been considering one of the LL Bean Pocket Water Rods- there's a 7'3" 3 wt. And there's currently an on-line coupon for 25% off that may expire on Sunday.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I am guessing that with logic like that you must drive a Ford Pinto or Yugo?!
Easy now. No need to insult anyones logic. I am not a cheapskate by any means, but before I drop money I evaluate it to the max. I am just curious on the why? If it's such a strong passionate hobby and you enjoy the art of a handcrafted reel, then I can respect that. But in the grand scheme, I look at what I am trying to accomplish. Do I need a sealed reel? Would I need a drag? Is a bluegill or crappie going to take me into my backing? etc So I am just wondering the why? Its like buying a Ferrari. Is it needed to drive to work? No, but does it make you look awesome and hold intrinsic value. Yes. If thats the case then thats great. From my experience, I just don't think its going to make a difference.

tex68w

Reaction score
Easy now. No need to insult anyones logic. I am not a cheapskate by any means, but before I drop money I evaluate it to the max. I am just curious on the why? If it's such a strong passionate hobby and you enjoy the art of a handcrafted reel, then I can respect that. But in the grand scheme, I look at what I am trying to accomplish. Do I need a sealed reel? Would I need a drag? Is a bluegill or crappie going to take me into my backing? etc So I am just wondering the why? Its like buying a Ferrari. Is it needed to drive to work? No, but does it make you look awesome and hold intrinsic value. Yes. If thats the case then thats great. From my experience, I just don't think its going to make a difference.
I understand where you are coming from, but I’m just not approaching this hobby from that school of thought. I appreciate the finer things in life if and when I can afford them. I’d still be rolling with all of my old Hatch reels and Loomis and Sage rods had they not been stolen some 7 years ago. Whatever I buy for fishing I hold onto for quite sometime if not indefinitely so buying better gear isn’t a bad investment for myself.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For a reel like that I'd probably go with the Sage One mentioned in the first few replies or an X rod. I don't know much about the other brands these days but I do use some Sage rods.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Look around for a Sage 389 Circa. You would be hard pressed to find a better 3 wt. rod. It will take a lot to wipe the smile off your face after fishing your favorite bluegill pond.

It is a slow action but plenty of power and precise as all get out. A big bluegill will put a nice bend in that rod and just hang on!

Bob
This is what I was going to suggest I have a TR/1 on a 389-4 Circa and its a pretty sweet rig.