Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Medium Action Fly Rods

I am looking into a 4 or 5 wt fly rod with moderate/medium action for fishing mainly dries at short to intermediate distance (40-50 feet or less) and perhaps some light nymphing. My budget allows for a rod around $200-$250. So far, I am considering a St Croix Avid and an Orvis Clearwater II (mid-flex). What other rods in this category would anyone recommend?

2. Default Re: Medium Action Fly Rods

Cabela's Traditional II, and TFO Finesse.
    Randy

Default Re: Medium Action Fly Rods

Hi Laurel Fork,

You might want to consider the Scott A2. It is $265. A medium fast rod that would work for you. For what you are describing you may find the St Croix Avid all you need.

Frank

4. Default Re: Medium Action Fly Rods

Laurel Fork,

Either rod you're considering would work fine. The Avid would be a bit faster than the Clearwater in a mid-flex action and the Clearwater would be a fraction of an ounce lighter, but not enough to matter much. I have both the rods you mention and find the Clearwater II to be smoother casting.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

I would call the Avid more of a med-fast action and the TFO finesse about the only one listed that's a medium action. In that range, you might be able to find a Diamondglass that would be a VERY easy-paced action.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

along the lines of the diamondglass, you might consider the lamiglas spring creek fiberglass rod. this is not the same as the "honey colored" fiberglass blanks many like to build upon. it's described as faster than the "honey" but certainly more medium than most graphites. i have no experience with it though... cost? $240.

http://lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?id=51

eric
    fresno, ca.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Fork View Post
    I am looking into a 4 or 5 wt fly rod with moderate/medium action for fishing mainly dries at short to intermediate distance (40-50 feet or less) and perhaps some light nymphing. My budget allows for a rod around $200-$250. So far, I am considering a St Croix Avid and an Orvis Clearwater II (mid-flex). What other rods in this category would anyone recommend?
    Orvis "Frequent Flyer" "mid-flex". Retail is $195 but you can currently find them on sale for $165-175. It is a 7-piece rod, but it is a wonderful casting fly rod, unbeatable for the price, and, as an added bonus, the rod tube will easily fit in a briefcase.

I am with Frank the Scott A2 would be a very good choice.

9. Default Re: Medium Action Fly Rods

The A2 is a medium-fast action, and on sale at many dealers in anticipaton of the release of the A3 for 2009. I picked one up for $199 through an internet dealer.

Ditto's on the A2..

Look for a used G on EBAY pay a little more but you might fall in love with it.

I am partial to the G2 but you will spend more as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast